Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2809 2810 [2811] 2812 2813 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610788 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42150 on: July 10, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »

What about the poor White folk in America who are living on food handouts, and have forever been treat like "trash"?
Surely they should be entitled to some of the reparation money.

Reparation for what?

Were their ancestors enslaved? Were they denied the right to vote? Is there a pattern of discrimination against them for their color or religion or nationality? What was taken from them by society and government?

Their jobs.
Go woke, go broke.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42151 on: July 10, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42152 on: July 10, 2020, 12:24:54 PM »

What about the poor White folk in America who are living on food handouts, and have forever been treat like "trash"?

Reparation for what?

Were their ancestors enslaved? Were they denied the right to vote? Is there a pattern of discrimination against them for their color or religion or nationality? What was taken from them by society and government?

Their jobs.
Reparation:
"the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged."

"living on food handouts"

Sounds like "otherwise helping," whether or not they were wronged.

Do you believe that everybody is entitled to a job?

We had record low unemployment not very long ago - you may remember Ward crowing about it. Did they have no jobs then? Why not?

Remember, by the way, that I support UBI.

I don't believe that your "poor white trash" merit reparations. I do believe that they should receive food and housing and healthcare.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #42153 on: July 10, 2020, 12:34:09 PM »

So insane, disregarding children's lives and teachers lives for his own vanity reelection prospects.

Fixed it for you.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1281320469921136641

Which is the same reason he is opposed to testing, telling Hannity last night that COVID testing "is the best thing that ever happened for the opposition party" (or something like that.)

Who ever would have guessed that Trump would sacrifice American lives to improve his own political prospects?  Truly, no one, right?

Mary Lea Trump for one, you do not have to be a psychotherapist though to realize something is terribly wrong. Worst possible delusional leadership in a pandemic situation.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42154 on: July 10, 2020, 12:45:05 PM »

I just think slavery seems very remote to most Americans, so much so that they can hardly conceive it existed.  And then they dodge that their ancestors came over later, or they were all Northern folk or whatever.  I think if you want to talk about reparations or some serious wealth transfer, you need to make it more immediate and closer tied to today.

I get your point that some will never see what they don't want to see.  But I think switching from slavery to segregation/racism reparations. you can win over a significant chunk of more moderate white folks who would be resistant to any compensation for slavery.

So, if it's sold to them on the basis of how the black community has "always depended on the kindness of strangers", that will work?

Seriously, taking money from any group of Americans to give to another group of Americans based on race is a terrain that even the most committed egalitarians among us would tread upon with fear and trepidation.

Not just based on race,  but upon past treatment.   A discriminated group doesn't have to necessarily defined by race.   If, say,  a slave trade had been built on kidnapped Belgians,  with later segregation,  redlining,  etc.  would that cause "fear and trepidation"?  (Bruges = shithole)

Okay. The perception would be that it's race based.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42155 on: July 10, 2020, 12:46:17 PM »

Seriously, taking money from any group of Americans to give to another group of Americans based on race is a terrain that even the most committed egalitarians among us would tread upon with fear and trepidation.

And yet it has happened in this country repeatedly.  See Tulsa, Seneca Village (Central Park NY) Philadelphia, Alabama, Wilmington North Carolina, and any number of places where Native Americans were kicked off their land.

White folks in the US have denied people a place at the economic table in this country repeatedly based on nothing more than a distrust and/or dislike of the color of their skin.

Argue against Reparations, if you like.  But find a better argument.

Wasn't arguing. Calm yourself.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42156 on: July 10, 2020, 12:48:55 PM »

Guessing one large group is owed reparations. Women.

Don't forget your mothers, laddies.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:07:58 PM by UNO »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42157 on: July 10, 2020, 12:55:19 PM »

Don't forget your mother's, laddies.

Women got reparation...the 19th Amendment.
Go woke, go broke.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42158 on: July 10, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »

That wasn't reparations. That was stopping that specific ill from going forward. It did nothing toward "making amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged."

And it did nothing to address a host of other inequities, either from before or since.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:03:48 PM by Echo4 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42159 on: July 10, 2020, 01:07:20 PM »

In terms you might get.

They were allowed into the pub, but the prices were still doubled.

Pay inequity. It's real.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42160 on: July 10, 2020, 01:07:38 PM »

Reparation for what?

Their jobs.
Reparation:
"the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged."

We had record low unemployment not very long ago - you may remember Ward crowing about it. Did they have no jobs then? Why not?

I don't believe that your "poor white trash" merit reparations. I do believe that they should receive food and housing and healthcare.

Everyone is entitled to a job...and warm blankets.
Somewhere to live that has at least heating.
It's the responsibility of the federal govt.

Which brings me to the working poor...can only afford to live in their cars.
They should get some of the reparation money...they had their livable wage removed.

Then there are the millions of homeless people.
They too should get a share of the reparation budget...they had their homes removed, one way or another.
Go woke, go broke.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42161 on: July 10, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »

Reparation for what?

Their jobs.
Reparation:

Which brings me to the working poor...can only afford to live in their cars.
They should get some of the reparation money...they had their livable wage removed.

Then there are the millions of homeless people.
They too should get a share of the reparation budget...they had their homes removed, one way or another.

How often do the attendants let you out into the yard?

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42162 on: July 10, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »

In terms you might get.

Pay inequity. It's real.

Not at the mandated base/minimum level?
Go woke, go broke.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42163 on: July 10, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »

Reparation for what?

Their jobs.
Reparation:

Blankets, yes. Housing, with shelter against the elements (heat, for example) and plumbing, absolutely. Food, too.

Jobs? Nope. It's lovely if there is stuff for them to do, but there is no guarantee of employment. Education to prepare you to potentially hold a job, yes. Support if you cannot work, totally.

You do know that Trump is opposed to everything you are spouting here, don't you?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42164 on: July 10, 2020, 01:20:00 PM »

In terms you might get.

Pay inequity. It's real.

Not at the mandated base/minimum level?

You're arguing that white MEN should have jobs. Got it.
Pages: 1 ... 2809 2810 [2811] 2812 2813 ... 4288