Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2827 2828 [2829] 2830 2831 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584534 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42420 on: July 12, 2020, 05:19:57 PM »

Uno:  "You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?"

BLM asserts something enshrined in the Constitution.   It's a political message the same way "we hold these truths to be self-evident... " is one.   The 10 Cs are a religious message and specific to one religion (though many of them are pretty good ethical guidelines and  you could do a lot worse), so they conflict with the Establishment clause,  as YG noted.   

The issue here is state sanctioned political messaging on public roads. It's not whether the message is one that should or shouldn't be valued. The question that has yet to be answered for me is why the government can endorse political messaging on public property?

Are you now arguing that BLM is not a political message?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42421 on: July 12, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »

But again Trump is ripping up his health advisors guidelines as too expensive and difficult.  Well, what will be too expensive is cheaping out and proceeding laxly and having huge new outbreaks, starting with kids and plowing through their families and teachers.  Reopening state economies without following proper guidelines didn't work out so well.  The death march continues.

No data that says children spread this disease
Because as we all know children do not cough, sneeze or exhale.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42422 on: July 12, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »

But again Trump is ripping up his health advisors guidelines as too expensive and difficult.  Well, what will be too expensive is cheaping out and proceeding laxly and having huge new outbreaks, starting with kids and plowing through their families and teachers.  Reopening state economies without following proper guidelines didn't work out so well.  The death march continues.

Is there data that says they don't spread the disease?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42423 on: July 12, 2020, 05:26:35 PM »

I went decades without getting sick, and then my kid went to kindergarden, and she shared everything with me. She was like a virus pass-through.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #42424 on: July 12, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »

The Goya Salsa Verde is great, I always get it when I make tacos and burritos, it is also good on enchiladas, and it is also great on scrambled eggs and omelettes. I respect the Goya company for helping the needy during this difficult time, and I will continue to buy their products.

I also respect the Northgate Market here in Anaheim for staying open during the crisis and for making sure that we have access to healthy foods, and they have even managed to remain stocked on toilet paper for the most part, and also thanks to the Fiora toilet paper company of Anaheim, Solaris Paper, Inc. Northgate gets a lot of their inventory from Mexico, so it is important that we keep the goods flowing in from our Southern border. And Northgate has done a wonderful job supplying us with fresh baked bread, and fresh made tortillas, etc. Northgate is a great market.

Also, CVS pharmacy has done a wonderful job making sure that everyone has access to pharmaceuticals, and they sell boxes of California wine which makes everyone happy.

Another company which has impressed me is Quest Diagnostics, which has done a great job of providing testing for people. I have used Quest for years, and I saw how they rose to the top during the Corona crisis to do testing.

Also of note is UCI here in the OC which has been a leader in research, the cure for the Corona Virus might come from UCI. 

Salute,

Tony V.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42425 on: July 12, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »

The No Data ruse has been an excuse to do the wrong thing time and again during this epidemic.  I remember when there was No Data that Face Masks were helpful.  There was No Data that Asymptomatic Transmission could occur.

Just because something hasn't been studied yet or is unknown doesn't make it not true.   

Maybe you need to wait until data is available.  You certainly need to assess risk and possibilities.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42426 on: July 12, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »

Uno, I really fail to see why this matter of street painting is hard to understand.  Municipalities often promote worthy causes that most citizens are behind - a BLM banner or stencil or whatever,  which shows support to a civil rights cause (just as naming a street Rosa Parks Drive or MLK Blvd would and does in many places) that a majority of Americans see as worthwhile and consistent with our founding principles. 

A confederate flag OTOH is not.

The streets belong to the people, not just some people

I would hope you would allow for dissatisfaction from those you disagree with on this.

Is that why you’re talking about buying Goya products despite their dissatisfaction with the millionaire CEO (rich of THEIR MONEY) for sucking Trump’s mushroom after the harm (and I’m being kind) he has rained down on Hispanics.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42427 on: July 12, 2020, 05:46:04 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/politics/fairfax-county-schools-superintendent-interview/index.html

So...Fairfax -

If kids are wearing a mask all day at school, they also need to socially distance (6-ft) the entire day?

Where does CDC say this?

If I had school aged kids I be damned if they would use them as canaries in a coal mine.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42428 on: July 12, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »

Let us know the first time you actually buy any Goya products ...

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42429 on: July 12, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »

But one thing we can trust for certain is that safety isn't a key priority for anyone in Trump’s orbit. Trump is approaching his push to reopen schools exactly as he approached his push to reopen states. While demanding that governors and local officials reopen facilities, he hasn't offered to lift so much as a finger to make those reopenings more safe.

For instance, how about putting billions toward deep cleaning the schools, helping them stock up on masks and other protective equipment, and opening on-site care centers with testing and contact tracing capability?

Nope. None of it. Not one damned thing. No funding, no resources, no useful guidance—nothing. Just the f*cking pressure campaign with a hope and a prayer for best results if we're all lucky.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/8/1959205/-Trump-doomed-red-state-reopenings-now-he-plans-to-doom-schools-nationwide-too

Early in the pandemic, Trump left states and governors to fend for themselves. Now he's leaving families to do the exact same thing. His incompetence is an endless nightmare playing out in real time for the entire nation. First it doomed the old and vulnerable populations, then the economy. Next up: kids and their families. No one will escape untouched if he can help it.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42430 on: July 12, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »

Let us know the first time you actually buy any Goya products ...

Heh

Idiot comment of the day right there

You seem to vie for it daily

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42431 on: July 12, 2020, 05:55:05 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/politics/fairfax-county-schools-superintendent-interview/index.html

So...Fairfax -

If kids are wearing a mask all day at school, they also need to socially distance (6-ft) the entire day?

Where does CDC say this?

If I had school aged kids I be damned if they would use them as canaries in a coal mine.

Best to answer or not comment at all.

I am betting the school aged children in your family will be attending.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42432 on: July 12, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »

Maybe trade PR to Denmark for Greenland ....

If we did the people on the island would surely move here

Funny stuff.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42433 on: July 12, 2020, 06:00:51 PM »

Uno:  "You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?"

BLM asserts something enshrined in the Constitution.   It's a political message the same way "we hold these truths to be self-evident... " is one.   The 10 Cs are a religious message and specific to one religion (though many of them are pretty good ethical guidelines and  you could do a lot worse), so they conflict with the Establishment clause,  as YG noted.   

The issue here is state sanctioned political messaging on public roads. It's not whether the message is one that should or shouldn't be valued. The question that has yet to be answered for me is why the government can endorse political messaging on public property?

Are you now arguing that BLM is not a political message?

What is your ultimate point?

Black Lives Don’t Matter If Confederate flags aren’t treated with the same respect?

Arguing in favor of Confederate anything is like demanding Nazi Swastikas be flown in front of public buildings in Germany.

This ain’t a moment this is a movement

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42434 on: July 12, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »

I bet China would (HAVE TO} pay the US top dollar for PR.

yes

a very healthy sum indeed
Pages: 1 ... 2827 2828 [2829] 2830 2831 ... 4288