Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2849 2850 [2851] 2852 2853 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2009815 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42750 on: July 14, 2020, 05:49:14 PM »

Quote from: Hairy Lime link=topic=55.msg134566#msg134566 date=
Oh, in person schools are optimal. When they are safe. In the US they are not safe now because Trump and his acolytes have refused to do the hard work to make them safe. Unlike, well, every country you cited above. But Trump was so concerned that a bad economy would hurt his election chances he forced reopenings before we were ready and we are now worse than we were when we first started the shut downs.
Keeping schools open are decisions made by states and school districts.
And Science is on the side of having kids in schools
By "science" Red means prayer and best wishes.
No. I mean Science.
So does the AAP.
Just because you capitalize "Science" this time doesn't mean you understand it any better.
I understand it quite well.
You know what they say, the truly stupid never grasp their own limitations and cannot recognize what they do not know. Red proves this time and again. AAP specifically indicated pandemic school reopening should be left to medical experts. But since that does not fit your argument - or.rather, the argument you cut and pasted from the right wing source you read but did not think through - you ignore it.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42751 on: July 14, 2020, 05:57:01 PM »

Oh, in person schools are optimal. When they are safe. In the US they are not safe now because Trump and his acolytes have refused to do the hard work to make them safe. Unlike, well, every country you cited above. But Trump was so concerned that a bad economy would hurt his election chances he forced reopenings before we were ready and we are now worse than we were when we first started the shut downs.
No. I mean Science.
So does the AAP.
Just because you capitalize "Science" this time doesn't mean you understand it any better.
You know what they say, the truly stupid never grasp their own limitations and cannot recognize what they do not know. Red proves this time and again. AAP specifically indicated pandemic school reopening should be left to medical experts. But since that does not fit your argument - or.rather, the argument you cut and pasted from the right wing source you read but did not think through - you ignore it.
I didn’t ignore anything.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/COVID-19/Pages/Return-to-School-During-COVID-19.aspx

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42752 on: July 14, 2020, 06:00:50 PM »

The Black Lives Matter mural on 5th Ave is a big FUCK YOU! to Donald Yrump and it is well deserved.

https://www.revolt.tv/2020/7/10/21319889/exonerated-central-park-five-trump-tower-mural

This is why you'll lose.
Again.

You don't know how to persuade.

You only know how to complain.

Any effort required to persuade someone who does not understand that Black Lives Matter would be self-evidently wasted.

What’s with this guy?

You can't be too stupid to know when you're getting good advice.

Nope!

We recognize good advice when we get it.

This is not it. The number of erroneous assumptions that you make in your efforts to "help" is substantial - and not worth enumerating, because of one of them.

Oh, look! He butt in again.

Perfect name for you. Echo. Because you love to hear yourself talk.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42753 on: July 14, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »

Schools only have one purpose.
To be a place of learning

Kids need to be in school.

Said someone who never worked in a school.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42754 on: July 14, 2020, 06:02:12 PM »

...and that's why I took the brevity pledge.    Pointless to throw pearls of fact before swine.
Brevity?
You are free to make your  “factual” case for closing schools.
I made mine for keeping them open.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42755 on: July 14, 2020, 06:05:50 PM »

...and that's why I took the brevity pledge.    Pointless to throw pearls of fact before swine.
Brevity?
You are free to make your  “factual” case for closing schools.
I made mine for keeping them open.

No you didn't.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42756 on: July 14, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »

No. I mean Science.
So does the AAP.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/COVID-19/Pages/Return-to-School-During-COVID-19.aspx

Interesting edit from the statement four days ago. But from this:
These decisions will need to take into account the spread of COVID-19 in the community, as well as whether schools are able to make in-person learning safe.  Schools and families should also prepare to go back to virtual learning if COVID cases increase in the community.

In other words, in most of the country it is not safe to go back to school at this point.

And, from the Israeli data, even in the parts where we think it is safe, we are probably wrong.

But, Ward? This is still featured with the page you linked:
https://services.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2020/pediatricians-educators-and-superintendents-urge-a-safe-return-to-school-this-fall/

Returning to school is important for the healthy development and well-being of children, but we must pursue re-opening in a way that is safe for all students, teachers and staff. Science should drive decision-making on safely reopening schools. Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics. We should leave it to health experts to tell us when the time is best to open up school buildings, and listen to educators and administrators to shape how we do it.

THAT is what you are decidedly ignoring.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42757 on: July 14, 2020, 06:10:55 PM »

The Black Lives Matter mural on 5th Ave is a big FUCK YOU! to Donald Yrump and it is well deserved.

https://www.revolt.tv/2020/7/10/21319889/exonerated-central-park-five-trump-tower-mural

This is why you'll lose.
Again.

Any effort required to persuade someone who does not understand that Black Lives Matter would be self-evidently wasted.

What’s with this guy?

Nope!

This is not it. The number of erroneous assumptions that you make in your efforts to "help" is substantial - and not worth enumerating, because of one of them.

You and Kid keep talking about butting into a conversation.

There's no butting in. This is a MESSAGE BOARD.

If you want to have a private conversation with somebody, sent them a private message. If they want to have one with you, they will reply.

But anything you post publicly is fair for anybody else to reply to.
------------------------

I do like to express myself.

But it sure is a funny thing for you to be objecting to, given your choice to return here!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42758 on: July 14, 2020, 06:11:21 PM »

This is why you'll lose.
Again.

What’s with this guy?

Nope!

If you do not want others to comment, use the message feature. Otherwise, it is a public board and anyone gets to dip their oar in the water.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42759 on: July 14, 2020, 06:12:50 PM »

No. I mean Science.
So does the AAP.

These decisions will need to take into account the spread of COVID-19 in the community, as well as whether schools are able to make in-person learning safe.  Schools and families should also prepare to go back to virtual learning if COVID cases increase in the community.

In other words, in most of the country it is not safe to go back to school at this point.

And, from the Israeli data, even in the parts where we think it is safe, we are probably wrong.

https://services.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2020/pediatricians-educators-and-superintendents-urge-a-safe-return-to-school-this-fall/

Returning to school is important for the healthy development and well-being of children, but we must pursue re-opening in a way that is safe for all students, teachers and staff. Science should drive decision-making on safely reopening schools. Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics. We should leave it to health experts to tell us when the time is best to open up school buildings, and listen to educators and administrators to shape how we do it.

Updated as of today and previously posted.

oilcan

« Reply #42760 on: July 14, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »

I dipped my oar and now it's covered with a brown goo with streaks of bile.

Has Josh checked Jimbo's IP?   This sure looks a lot like Russian troll tactics. 

Also,  didn't he give his last name at the NYT as Mengele?   Cmon.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42761 on: July 14, 2020, 06:19:57 PM »

epidemiologist Helen Jenkins wrote in a series of viral tweets, the key question is not how to safely reopen schools amid high viral transmission, but how to keep community transmission low enough that schools are safe. That might mean keeping other venues, like bars or restaurants, closed in order to maintain a low level of the virus in the community, as Vox’s German Lopez has reported.

“Activity in some other sectors of the economy will need to be reduced to preserve the education, feeding, socialization, and safety of our children — and the ability of parents to do their work,” Jenkins and fellow epidemiologist William Hanage wrote in a Washington Post op-ed. “Schools should be prioritized.”

Beyond keeping the virus under control, some have called for changes within schools. Outdoor classes, for example, would likely reduce transmission risk in places where weather permits. For teachers who do go back to the classroom, hazard pay would at least help compensate them for the risk they face.

“The case can be made quite easily that there are some jobs where the risk of exposure is much greater, and thus like any other risky job, such as coal mining, you take risk into account in terms of the compensation,” Holder said. “If an essential or front-line worker gets sick, they need resources to rely on if they do have to withdraw from the labor force.”

Close the bars. Open schools, pay the teachers more. Everywhere everyone knows how high their true value is to society. Do double all those workers salaries, and you'll get your schools open.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42762 on: July 14, 2020, 06:20:33 PM »

This is why you'll lose.
Again.

What’s with this guy?

Nope!

You and Kid keep talking about butting into a conversation.

There's no butting in. This is a MESSAGE BOARD.

If you want to have a private conversation with somebody, sent them a private message. If they want to have one with you, they will reply.

But anything you post publicly is fair for anybody else to reply to.
------------------------

I do like to express myself.

But it sure is a funny thing for you to be objecting to, given your choice to return here!

Choose to return?
When did I leave?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42763 on: July 14, 2020, 06:24:55 PM »

No. I mean Science.
So does the AAP.

Updated as of today and previously posted.

Dim bulb:

They are two different documents, both featured on the AAP's front page.

Further, yours refers to the 7/10 document "For more information."

It is not superseded, just written by a different group for a different publication.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42764 on: July 14, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »

President Trump dismissed outrage over police killings, saying Tuesday that "more white people" are killed by police than Blacks.

"So are white people!" Trump said when asked in an interview with CBS News why so many African Americans have been killed at the hands of police. "So are white people! What a terrible question to ask."

Trump added that "more white people, by the way" are killed by police than Black people.

More white people overall may be killed by police annually, but Black Americans are killed at a far higher rate.

According to a database of police shootings since 2015 compiled by the Washington Post, 1,301 Black people have been killed by the police in the past five-and-a-half years; 2,495 whites were killed.

But, importantly, African Americans, who make up a far smaller portion of the population than whites, are killed at a rate more than twice that of whites.

In another comment also sure to inflame racial tension, Trump also said "people love" the Confederate battle flag and he considers it a "freedom of speech" issue. He called it it "very simple" and dismissed the idea that the flag is hurtful to Black Americans and others who see it as a racist symbol.

From https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/07/14/891144579/trump-says-more-white-people-killed-by-police-violence-than-blacks
Pages: 1 ... 2849 2850 [2851] 2852 2853 ... 4288