Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2864 2865 [2866] 2867 2868 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2009546 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42975 on: July 15, 2020, 03:17:37 PM »

Tomorrow's press conference will be about Central American Migrant Caravans.

The "Greatest Hits" collections always come out around election time.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42976 on: July 15, 2020, 03:22:47 PM »

Fauci, re:  school opening:  "If you are in outbreak mode then leave it up to the local individuals"

yep

Yep?  Trump is threatening to pull Federal funding for public schools that don't resume in-person classes, but yep to keeping it up to local municipalities?

Talk about taking a position you can criticize from later on...

Remember how outraged the GOP was when Obama wanted healthy school lunches?

Why would their views on school and children's health being at risk change now? Just because of a little old pandemic?

Sheesh!!!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42977 on: July 15, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »

There is no need for your summation, kiidcarter8, because my position on this has been stated and restated several times now.

I will put you down for a "most schools should open, while some (and you wont specify) should not".  Its the perfect place from you to criticize from later on.

Put me down for this-I posted it yesterday

I think if we strip the politics away from the issue we all want kids back in school, and as safely as possible. First its best for the kids and then the parents and then probably the economy.

But we have to recognize that some kids will pick-up the virus, spread the virus, because its what kids do with germs, bugs, viruses, and thus some teachers and some parents, some grand parents and unrelated folks will get infected, hospitalized and some will die.

Further the situation in NY is different than Fl or Texas, (wherever) and solutions have to be tailored as best as possible to the local situation.

I'm not an educator or expert in this field, but maybe half-sized classes run 2-days a week with some form of home schooling/on-line options are feasible to handle a bad situation in the short-term. Or maybe in Fl  Tx schools don't open until late September after what could be a 2-month state shutdown has taken place. you know to actualy stop the spread so kids might be able to go to school safely or as safely as possible by reducing risk.

In any case, someone has to make the study public (because I assume the #s have been run) as to how many kids/teachers/parents etc will get infected if schools are reopened on time in late August/early Sept. in the hard hit states.

Someone has to provide a # of how many sick and dead kids and adults are acceptable to open the economy.

And the governor has to sign off on it.

that's a hard thing to sign-off on.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42978 on: July 15, 2020, 04:11:36 PM »

Fauci, re:  school opening:  "If you are in outbreak mode then leave it up to the local individuals"

yep

Yep?  Trump is threatening to pull Federal funding for public schools that don't resume in-person classes, but yep to keeping it up to local municipalities?

Talk about taking a position you can criticize from later on...

Remember how outraged the GOP was when Obama wanted healthy school lunches?

Why would their views on school and children's health being at risk change now? Just because of a little old pandemic?

Sheesh!!!

IIRC the controversey centered on not enough ketchup in school lunches. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #42979 on: July 15, 2020, 04:13:35 PM »

The whole White House vs. Fauci feud is sure looking overblown today.

Wrong. About. Everything.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42980 on: July 15, 2020, 04:17:42 PM »

But, I did forget how hypersensitive Larry is, ready to take offense when nine was ever given.

This line best summarizes UNO’s entire existence here.

Bizarre,  in terms of how obsessed he is with Larry (then,  when Larry notices, accuses him of "paranoia") and relentlessly seeks to tutor Larry on "being better" while remaining himself a troll playing endless game of gotcha.   

I don’t get the obsession... it just seems so desperate.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42981 on: July 15, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space. Stories are chosen and told in a way to satisfy the narrowest of audiences, rather than to allow a curious public to read about the world and then draw their own conclusions. I was always taught that journalists were charged with writing the first rough draft of history. Now, history itself is one more ephemeral thing molded to fit the needs of a predetermined narrative.

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

Boo hoo
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42982 on: July 15, 2020, 04:20:36 PM »

I posted this elsewhere a few days ago.

Going after America's most-trusted doctor since Marcus Welby, M.D, may not be a great political move. Plus he's got the real score of Donnie's cognitive exam.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42983 on: July 15, 2020, 04:20:49 PM »

Weiss and others at the Times have bitterly differing views on the purpose of the op-ed section of the paper. But more than that, they have different opinions on what free speech means. Weiss believes it means that well placed pundits, who have been labeled important, should be able to say anything they want from the nation’s most important journalistic platform, without any interference from the people who work at said platform. Weiss’s coworkers, in contrast, believe they should have some say in what their labor supports, and in how the institution they contribute to uses the value and reputation they help create.

The people with most access to an audience are powerful people, and they naturally are able to frame free speech as a resource mainly for those with education, influence, and large platforms. “The publisher will cave to the mob,” Weiss warns, but the “mob” she’s talking about is her own less powerful, less well connected, and notably less white coworkers. The people who work at the paper—especially the Black people who work at the paper—spoke up at some danger to their jobs, because they cared about their coworkers, their workplace, and their country. Weiss thinks their voices are a danger to free speech. But I think when workers can speak back to the powerful, we’re all more free.

https://observer.com/2020/07/bari-weiss-resignation-new-york-times-free-speech/

“The Mob” is the theme of the coming election. The powerful trying to keep it all for themselves.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42984 on: July 15, 2020, 04:38:06 PM »

Lincoln Project comments on that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6wIOKaHMWo&pp=wgIECgIIAQ%3D%3D&feature=push-fr&attr_tag=0SNFGgxyKjtoYA3n%3A6
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42985 on: July 15, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is calling on the New York Police Department to reinstate its recently-shuttered anti-crime unit as the Big Apple continues to struggle with a surge in gun violence.

The call from one of the city’s most influential Black leaders comes days after the tragic shooting death of 1-year-old Davell Gardner, who was struck in the stomach with a bullet during a family cookout.

I think that a total elimination is something we need to reevaluate,” Adams, a former police officer, told CBS New York. “Right now, bad guys are saying if you don’t see a blue and white you can do whatever you want.”

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42986 on: July 15, 2020, 04:44:26 PM »

But, I did forget how hypersensitive Larry is, ready to take offense when nine was ever given.

This line best summarizes UNO’s entire existence here.

Bizarre,  in terms of how obsessed he is with Larry (then,  when Larry notices, accuses him of "paranoia") and relentlessly seeks to tutor Larry on "being better" while remaining himself a troll playing endless game of gotcha.   

I don’t get the obsession... it just seems so desperate.

There's the paranoia again. As fed by others, too.

Do a search on the number of times you've personally insulted me, and for no good reason.

When you're done, look in the mirror and ask who really is the obsessed one.

It ain't me, son.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42987 on: July 15, 2020, 04:48:13 PM »

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is calling on the New York Police Department to reinstate its recently-shuttered anti-crime unit as the Big Apple continues to struggle with a surge in gun violence.

The call from one of the city’s most influential Black leaders comes days after the tragic shooting death of 1-year-old Davell Gardner, who was struck in the stomach with a bullet during a family cookout.

I think that a total elimination is something we need to reevaluate,” Adams, a former police officer, told CBS New York. “Right now, bad guys are saying if you don’t see a blue and white you can do whatever you want.”

Why don’t you ever link to the source? I wouldn’t mind reading the article in full.

It actually sounds as if it backs up my earlier hypothesis of removing the metaphorical Lions from the metaphorical NYC savannah.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42988 on: July 15, 2020, 04:50:26 PM »

In a lengthy statement posted to his Facebook page early Wednesday, Cannon wrote, “If I have furthered the hate speech, I wholeheartedly apologize. But now I am the one making demands. I demand full ownership of my billion dollar ‘Wild ‘N Out’ brand that I created, and they will continue to misuse and destroy without my leadership! I demand that the hate and back door bullying cease and while we are at it, now that the truth is out, I demand the Apology!”

In the post, which is titled ‘Truth and Reconciliation,’ Cannon began by noting he is “deeply saddened in a moment so close to reconciliation that the powers that be, misused an important moment for us to all grow closer together and learn more about one another.”

“Instead the moment was stolen and highjacked [sic] to make an example of an outspoken black man. I will not be bullied, silenced, or continuously oppressed by any organization, group, or corporation. I am disappointed that Viacom does not understand or respect the power of the black community,” he continued.

...In his statement, Cannon also highlighted an “outpouring of love and support from the Jewish community,” noting he has spoken with “Rabbis, clergy, Professors and coworkers” who have offered to help him.

“l am excited to announce that I have been invited to Israel which is a lifelong dream where I will receive teachings, lessons and truth about the Jewish history,” said Cannon. “As someone who is in pursuit for my PHD in Theology and Divinity and just received a degree in Criminal Justice from the Great Howard University, this will be an enriching, enlightening and overall exciting trip!”

A ViacomCBS spokesperson confirmed on Tuesday that it was severing ties with Cannon after it emerged that the performer had said on his podcast that Black people are the “true Hebrews” in addition to discussing anti-Semitic conspiracy theories involving the Rothschild family.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nick-cannon-demands-full-ownership-123204663.html

Boo-hoo.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42989 on: July 15, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 2864 2865 [2866] 2867 2868 ... 4288