Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2868 2869 [2870] 2871 2872 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2009796 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #43035 on: July 15, 2020, 10:27:05 PM »

Dr. Greene said there could be a mix of in-person and remote learning in the fall, and his goal is to make sure all students can get online and have devices to learn on. But he worries that providing laptops to students could make them vulnerable to crime.

Red is worried poor youth are vulnerable to crime,  and may need more help from government.

Libtard!
About 26 million public-school students, just over half in the U.S., are considered low-income and rely on free or reduced-price meals at school.
Think about that

That’s an indication of the dysfunction of our society.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #43036 on: July 15, 2020, 10:28:26 PM »

Dr. Greene said there could be a mix of in-person and remote learning in the fall, and his goal is to make sure all students can get online and have devices to learn on. But he worries that providing laptops to students could make them vulnerable to crime.

Red is worried poor youth are vulnerable to crime,  and may need more help from government.

Libtard!
About 26 million public-school students, just over half in the U.S., are considered low-income and rely on free or reduced-price meals at school.
Think about that

Pretty much never far from my thoughts, Ward.

Just discovering that now, are you?!
Say what?

Ward, you site that stat as if it's news.

It's not.

The poverty levels in this country are frightening and have been for a long time. One of the major saving graces of SSI is that it accomplished its major goal, until penury on the part of the GOP set it back. Senior citizen poverty is way down from where it was before SSI, even if higher now than it has been.

The plight of the children is worse, especially in the states that refused expanded Medicaid. The "reforms" of welfare that limit the number of years a family can be on it were devastating. And the $2,000 limit on assets for a disabled person is criminal.

So, yeah, "about 26 million public-school students, just over half in the U.S., are considered low-income and rely on free or reduced-price meals at school," though your figure is out of date.  (Low income is defined as under 130% of poverty level.) 29.7 million children were being fed that way, last I looked, but I was going to skip it until your "say what?" came along.

An estimated 11.1 percent of U.S. households were food insecure at least some time during the year in 2018, meaning they lacked access to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members. That is down from 11.8 percent in 2017 and from a peak of 14.9 percent in 2011. The prevalence of very low food security was 4.3 percent in 2018.

It's progress. It's unclear where that has gone this year, but it's being studied.
I hope that post was a catharsis for you.  God knows it was hardly germane to anything I posited

That you believe that, as ever, says more about you than about the topic.

God knows, if there is such a being, that what I wrote about is deeply connected to your comment about the kids getting food through schools because their families are poor.
Say What?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:36:17 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #43037 on: July 15, 2020, 10:30:12 PM »

The National Association of Police Organizations (NAPO) endorsed President Trump’s reelection Wednesday, praising his “steadfast and very public support” for law enforcement.

NAPO did not endorse a candidate in the 2016 election but endorsed former President Barack Obama and then-Vice President Joe Biden in both the 2008 and 2012 elections.

Buttons of brass
upon their chest
Men in blue
New York’s Finest
One hundred heads
They’ll crack today
And they don’t give a damn
What the black folks say.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #43038 on: July 15, 2020, 10:36:27 PM »

Infrastructure Week, huh?

So much for “small, limited government:”

Kemp’s move is likely to infuriate local officials in communities that had acted, including Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Rome and the governor’s hometown of Athens-Clarke County. Overall, mask orders by Wednesday were covering 1.4 million of Georgia’s more than 10 million residents.

Kemp’s new order also bans local governments from requiring masks on public property, which void requirements that some governments have imposed for citizens to wear masks inside city and county buildings.

https://wtop.com/national/2020/07/georgia-gov-explicitly-voids-mask-orders-in-15-localities/

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43039 on: July 15, 2020, 10:37:44 PM »

Libtard!
Think about that

Pretty much never far from my thoughts, Ward.

Just discovering that now, are you?!
Say what?

Ward, you site that stat as if it's news.

It's not.

The poverty levels in this country are frightening and have been for a long time. One of the major saving graces of SSI is that it accomplished its major goal, until penury on the part of the GOP set it back. Senior citizen poverty is way down from where it was before SSI, even if higher now than it has been.

The plight of the children is worse, especially in the states that refused expanded Medicaid. The "reforms" of welfare that limit the number of years a family can be on it were devastating. And the $2,000 limit on assets for a disabled person is criminal.

So, yeah, "about 26 million public-school students, just over half in the U.S., are considered low-income and rely on free or reduced-price meals at school," though your figure is out of date.  (Low income is defined as under 130% of poverty level.) 29.7 million children were being fed that way, last I looked, but I was going to skip it until your "say what?" came along.

An estimated 11.1 percent of U.S. households were food insecure at least some time during the year in 2018, meaning they lacked access to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members. That is down from 11.8 percent in 2017 and from a peak of 14.9 percent in 2011. The prevalence of very low food security was 4.3 percent in 2018.

It's progress. It's unclear where that has gone this year, but it's being studied.
I hope that post was a catharsis for you.  God knows it was hardly germane to anything I posited

That you believe that, as ever, says more about you than about the topic.

God knows, if there is such a being, that what I wrote about is deeply connected to your comment about the kids getting food through schools because their families are poor.
Say What?

I said, "The issues are deeply connected, you stupid fool."

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43040 on: July 15, 2020, 10:48:03 PM »

Libtard!
Think about that
I have. That is why I support the fight for 15 so their parents can make a living wage to support them without relying on free school meals.

And again, the school lunch program applies to remote learners also.
A parrot bit me.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43041 on: July 15, 2020, 10:52:45 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #43042 on: July 15, 2020, 11:00:22 PM »

Libtard!
Think about that
I have. That is why I support the fight for 15 so their parents can make a living wage to support them without relying on free school meals.

Im sure Dr. Greene would appreciate your input

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43043 on: July 15, 2020, 11:27:24 PM »

Rooting out republicans from all positions of power and responsibility will improve outcomes for American students across the board. The party of ignorance and duplicity has been at war with education since it turned out people who can read won’t put up with paragons of republicanism like Joe McCarthy and Richard Nixon.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #43044 on: July 15, 2020, 11:32:44 PM »

The good ship titanic has switched Captains. The floundering campaign has about 5 more points of support to lose by November. The new guy has the talent and focus to bring team trump to it’s more natural level of 30% support among likely voters.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43045 on: July 15, 2020, 11:42:20 PM »

Libtard!
Think about that

I am sure poor kids appreciate your continuing to pretend you give a damn about them.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #43046 on: July 15, 2020, 11:52:04 PM »

Libtard!
Think about that

I am sure poor kids appreciate your continuing to pretend you give a damn about them.

As parents, we will face many moments of anxiety: seeing our children off on their first day of kindergarten, their first day of camp, their first year of college. We may want to keep them home to protect them from the world, which can indeed be a frightening place. But let’s be clear, when we do that, we are not really protecting our children. We are only attempting to manage our own anxiety, and we do that at their expense. We are acting as negligent parents. We are harming our children. We are failing them.
We must agree to make decisions in the best interest of the children. If we do not—if, paralyzed by fear, we continue to act purely out of self-interest—we will ensure an entire generation of traumatized young adults, consigned to perpetual adolescence and residency in their parents’ garages, unable to move through life with independence, courage, and confidence. They deserve better—we owe it to them as parents.

Mark McDonald, a psychiatrist who specializes in children and at-risk youth, testifying at a June 24 hearing of the Orange County, Calif., Board of Supervisors

I hope you agree
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:53:44 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #43047 on: July 16, 2020, 12:21:15 AM »

Clots. Cognitive and neurological complications. Life long conditions.

Any state meeting the CDC guidelines should open any school they can shelter in a completely outdoor setting (airplane hangars might be an option so long as they don’t recirculate air), with distancing and masking and multiple daily temp checks, along with at least weekly tests for all students and staff.

Reading lots of books, online learning, long term practical projects, putting time in at various relief efforts (trump’s disintegration of the economy has caused a huge boom in soup kitchens in nearly every community) would be a good curricular backbone for students where the safety criteria cannot be met.

It’s probably true that prolonged exposure to republican parents is likely to cause severe psychological trauma in youth and should be minimized where possible.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #43048 on: July 16, 2020, 12:52:31 AM »

Wisdom dictates that teachers and students must be socially distanced...strictly.

That students must be socially distanced from each other.
That teachers must be socially distanced from each other.

Strictly.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43049 on: July 16, 2020, 12:58:20 AM »

As parents, we will face many moments of anxiety: seeing our children off on their first day of kindergarten, their first day of camp, their first year of college.
(etc.)

[/i]Mark McDonald, a psychiatrist who specializes in children and at-risk youth, testifying at a June 24 hearing of the Orange County, Calif., Board of Supervisors

Dr. McDonald starts his talk by outlining his knowledge on the topic:
"Children are not dying of COVID-19. Children are not passing the disease on to adults. So the only question is, "Why are we even having this meeting tonight?"

In other words, he is ignorant of what is going on, even if he works on at risk youth.

Children are dying of COVID-19. Children are passing the disease on to adults.

Since everything else he said is predicated on those two untruths, it is pretty hard to take it at face value, Ward.

BTW, that is totally ignoring that it puts adults at increased risk, also, and he discounts the damage it does to kids past a certain age to have their teachers die midterm because they were teaching and it totally ignores what Israel learned.

I repeat: How many children are you prepared to sacrifice on the altar of "children should be in school?" How many teachers?"
Pages: 1 ... 2868 2869 [2870] 2871 2872 ... 4288