Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2881 2882 [2883] 2884 2885 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010443 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #43230 on: July 16, 2020, 07:44:21 PM »

It gets personal & Chuck Woolery does an about face on Covid,

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f10a208c5b619afc3ff1ab8

Denialism bleeds support one infection at a time.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43231 on: July 16, 2020, 07:46:52 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/media/mary-trump-book-sales/index.html

Record book sales  for Mary Trump.

"Mary Trump's tell-all book had sold a staggering 950,000 copies by the end of its first day on sale, publisher Simon & Schuster said Thursday.

That figure, which included pre-sales, as well as e-books and audiobooks, is a new record for Simon & Schuster, the company said.
"

More than Bolton's first week. More than Woodward's first day. Etc. More than triple Clinton's What Happened" in the first week of sales and those were strong sales.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43232 on: July 16, 2020, 07:49:34 PM »

josh  re the motion to reconsider of an impeachment verdict

I found this-the US Senate's Manual Rules for an Impeachment Trial (1986 edition)

Don't know if the rules have since changed

RULES OF PROCEDURE AND PRACTICE IN THE SENATE WHEN SITTING
                                ON IMPEACHMENT TRIALS

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/SMAN-113/html/SMAN-113-pg223.htm#:~:text=A%20motion%20to%20reconsider%20the,shall%20not%20be%20in%20order.&text=The%20fifteen%20minutes%20herein%20allowed,194%20XXV

section 192-last 2 lines read (scroll down)

A motion to reconsider the vote by which any article of

impeachment is sustained or rejected shall not be in order.

Which by my understanding would address my concern about double-jeopardy and having the impeached, but acquitted party, facing the same charge twice.

Thank you. I suspect then that I am simply wrong.

Not worth looking for updated rules, either.

I did a quick google, and that's all I found, so I suspect that given the relative infrequency of Senate Impeachments (at least for pres) the 1986 rules version is the guideline.

As a layman the logic of the argument didn't make sense to me as I understand Democracy/Law 101.

I understand your reaction, but it's still now what it is about. The same rule doesn't apply when the issue of Contempt of Congress is at hand, as far as I know. (Still not going to look it up.)

Impeachment is explicitly not about jeopardy/double jeopardy, in that one could be impeached for an action and face a criminal trial at the federal level for the same crime.

I imagine somebody tried it once, some time in the past two centuries, and that prompted the rule. But, again, I could be wrong about that.

I'm sure you're right.

But that's not really what we discussed nor in the context of your suggestion that McConnell could reopen the Trump impeachment after he had been acquitted by the use of a motion to reconsider.

He cant as it senate rules specifically ruled it was "not in order" for impeachment.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43233 on: July 16, 2020, 07:49:47 PM »

It gets personal & Chuck Woolery does an about face on Covid,

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f10a208c5b619afc3ff1ab8

Denialism bleeds support one infection at a time.

That was fast!

I hope for his son a rapid recovery with no lingering effects.

I hope for Woolery that he can translate his new found understanding into a repudiation of all the rest of the denialist crap.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43234 on: July 16, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »

josh  re the motion to reconsider of an impeachment verdict

I found this-the US Senate's Manual Rules for an Impeachment Trial (1986 edition)

Don't know if the rules have since changed

RULES OF PROCEDURE AND PRACTICE IN THE SENATE WHEN SITTING
                                ON IMPEACHMENT TRIALS

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/SMAN-113/html/SMAN-113-pg223.htm#:~:text=A%20motion%20to%20reconsider%20the,shall%20not%20be%20in%20order.&text=The%20fifteen%20minutes%20herein%20allowed,194%20XXV

section 192-last 2 lines read (scroll down)

A motion to reconsider the vote by which any article of

impeachment is sustained or rejected shall not be in order.

Which by my understanding would address my concern about double-jeopardy and having the impeached, but acquitted party, facing the same charge twice.

Thank you. I suspect then that I am simply wrong.

Not worth looking for updated rules, either.

I did a quick google, and that's all I found, so I suspect that given the relative infrequency of Senate Impeachments (at least for pres) the 1986 rules version is the guideline.

As a layman the logic of the argument didn't make sense to me as I understand Democracy/Law 101.

I understand your reaction, but it's still now what it is about. The same rule doesn't apply when the issue of Contempt of Congress is at hand, as far as I know. (Still not going to look it up.)

Impeachment is explicitly not about jeopardy/double jeopardy, in that one could be impeached for an action and face a criminal trial at the federal level for the same crime.

I imagine somebody tried it once, some time in the past two centuries, and that prompted the rule. But, again, I could be wrong about that.

I'm sure you're right.

But that's not what really what we discussed nor in the context of your suggestion that McConnell could reopen the Trump impeachment after he had been acquitted by the use of a motion to reconsider.

He cant as it was specifically ruled "not in order" for impeachment.

Yup!

As I said, I was wrong.

barton

« Reply #43235 on: July 16, 2020, 07:52:52 PM »

I guess Washington Foreskins won’t be considered as a new name for the NFL team.

It would get removed, after causing some tur-moyle.

There would be a tipping point,  for sure.   

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43236 on: July 16, 2020, 08:01:35 PM »

What about high school football!

Making his case for reopening the schools, DeSantis sked, “What about having football season?” and said many children need sports to fulfill “those dreams and all those hopes.”

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43237 on: July 16, 2020, 08:13:55 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43238 on: July 16, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »

The White House’s presidential personnel office is conducting one-on-one interviews with health officials and hundreds of other political appointees across federal agencies, an exercise some of the subjects have called “loyalty tests” to root out threats of leaks and other potentially subversive acts just months before the presidential election, according to interviews with 15 current and former senior administration officials.

The interviews are being arranged with officials across a wide range of departments including Health and Human Services, Defense, Treasury, Labor and Commerce and include the top tier of Trump aides: Senate-confirmed appointees. Officials are expected to detail their career goals and thoughts on current policies, said more than a dozen people across the administration with knowledge of the meetings.

White House officials have said the interviews are a necessary exercise to determine who would be willing to serve in a second term if President Donald Trump is reelected. But officials summoned for the interviews say the exercise is distracting from numerous policy priorities, like working to fight the pandemic, revitalizing the economy or overhauling regulation, and instead reflect the White House’s conviction that a “deep state” is working to undermine the president.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hundreds-trump-appointees-face-pre-235545168.html

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #43239 on: July 16, 2020, 08:36:50 PM »

The Disturbing Rise of Anti-Semitism Among Black Celebs

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disturbing-rise-anti-semitism-among-030155753.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43241 on: July 16, 2020, 08:41:09 PM »

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/07/15/westwood-extend-school-year-staff-tests-positive-coronavirus/

Got tested. Got a negative result. Went to work with the kids.Got a call.

Oops.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #43242 on: July 16, 2020, 08:48:50 PM »

Trump: We want schools to be open and they will be open on time

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6171870739001#sp=show-clips

YESTERDAY.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos threatens to withhold school funding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4dtxy-Wss

YESTERDAY

Yep

We all know about the funding threat

Governor's need to look seriously at opening schools, not take the easy way out

Let's watch it play out
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #43243 on: July 16, 2020, 08:54:46 PM »

The emergency room overflowed with patients. Then, the next wave arrived. This time on stretchers.

"They were lined up along the walls in the ER," a health care worker inside a Navicent Health-owned hospital in middle Georgia told GPB News. "We never have had an influx like that. Since the Fourth of July, it has just exploded."

Staff members did what they always do. They tended to patients as best they could. For the sickest patients, staff searched for available beds in nearby hospitals. In previous weeks, the health care worker said, COVID-19 patients typically got transported to medical centers about 70 miles north to Atlanta or 160 miles east to Savannah.

This week, there was no room. Desperate, the health care worker said, administrators began checking available hospitals in Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida.

The distance stretched more than 850 miles north to south, from Louisville, Ky., down to Orlando, Fla.

"When you have to start shipping patients out of state, it's bad," the worker said. "When the hospitals are full, that's when it becomes really dangerous for everybody."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/16/891997539/georgia-hospital-worker-sounds-alarm-i-have-never-ever-seen-anything-like-this

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp is suing the Atlanta City Council and Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms following her efforts to require face masks in public places as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to skyrocket across the nation.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday, asserts that Kemp alone "leads the State of Georgia in its fight against the worldwide novel coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic" and adds he has the power "to suspend municipal orders that are contradictory to any state law or to his executive orders."

"As the Mayor of the City of Atlanta, Mayor Bottoms does not have the legal authority to modify, change or ignore Governor Kemp's executive orders," the document says.

The suit follows an order this week in which Kemp forbade municipal officials from setting mandatory face-covering policies.

"This lawsuit is on behalf of the Atlanta business owners and their hardworking employees who are struggling to survive during these difficult times," Kemp tweeted.

The lengthy thread went on to link the wearing of face coverings to loss of income.

"These men and women are doing their very best to put food on the table for their families while local elected officials shutter businesses and undermine economic growth," Kemp wrote.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/16/892109883/georgia-gov-brian-kemp-sues-atlanta-mayor-keisha-lance-bottoms-over-face-mask-or

And there you have it. Money is more important than peoples' lives, in the GOP.

Or as they said in the WH today, "Don't let science stand in the way!"

It's not quite the same as "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes!", but it is the Trump Party's rallying cry.

This used to be a very nice country to live in.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43244 on: July 16, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »

Trump: We want schools to be open and they will be open on time

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6171870739001#sp=show-clips

YESTERDAY.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos threatens to withhold school funding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4dtxy-Wss

YESTERDAY

Yep

We all know about the funding threat

Governor's need to look seriously at opening schools, not take the easy way out

Let's watch it play out

What's the easy way out?

Do you think reopening restuarants bars beaches, etc and then reclosing them as the virus spread and people got sick was an easy political decision?

We'e in lose-lose right now and have to figure out how to minimize losses and who loses.

You lose a job or business you can recover, you lose a child or parent, its a different type of loss.

It seems to me the easy way out was to reopen before the states were ready to do so, because Govs were given cover by an inept clown who has politicized this disease.

There are no easy ways out, just maybe a few paths which may reduce risks.
Pages: 1 ... 2881 2882 [2883] 2884 2885 ... 4288