Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2981 2982 [2983] 2984 2985 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008718 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44730 on: July 26, 2020, 12:03:39 PM »

I'd prefer a rewrite of the 2nd A to say Guns being inherently dangerous can be relegated or banned by states as they see fit.  But that's not gonna fly.

No,  it wouldn't.  And,  in the event of some food supply catastrophe, a hunting rifle might help keep some people from starvation.   I have a mule deer in my yard as I'm writing this.   Not sure I could shoot it.   It seems to know me.   I've brought out a bucket of water on hot parched days, and I think its one of the bunch that's been here before and remembers that.   What's really strange is that our cat,  usually timid around large creatures, seems to like mule deer and will go out there and sit near them.   

BTW,  seeing in the news a tally of 3700 new cases yesterday in AZ...hope the Lime family is doing okay.   Boz hasn't posted lately,  I hope he and his are just off frolicking amongst the cacti and mesquite,  or whatever they do for recreation. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #44731 on: July 26, 2020, 12:09:40 PM »

We're are not banning guns or re-writing the 2nd amendment.

People have a right in this country to own guns.

But they don't necessarily have a right to own a semi-automatic rifles that can rattle off a 100 shots in a minute.

thats and other regulations are on the table

I expect a new admin with a D House and Senate would legislate for new tighter gun controls.

and then let the Russian-puppets at the NRA complain.

Fuck them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:12:00 PM by bankshot1 »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44732 on: July 26, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »

http://www.theweek.com/speedreads/927446/why-possibility-democrats-winning-back-senate-looking-stronger-than-ever

"While the Senate hasn't flipped in the same year as a presidential election since 1980, today's more polarized environment makes it unlikely voters will split their ballot between Biden and a Republican Senate candidate."

I think this is the most dangerous assumption in the piece - and even it is not too dangerous. I think that among the anti-Trump GOP there will be plenty of ballot-splitting and what little research has been done on that specific topic supports the theory.

It just may not be enough GOP support to turn that tide, because of the support those senators in question have provided to Trump, the cover they have given him on everything until recently (if even).

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44733 on: July 26, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »

We're are not banning guns or re-writing the 2nd amendment.

People have a right in this country to own guns.

But they don't necessarily have a right to own a semi-automatic rifles that can rattle off a 100 shots in a minute.

thats and other regulations are on the table

I expect a new admin with a D House and Senate would legislate for new tighter gun controls.

and then let the Russian-puppets at the NRA complain.

Fuck them.

Here's a good read on those 27 words that are so widely interpreted: https://constitutioncenter.org/images/uploads/news/CNN_Aug_11.pdf
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44734 on: July 26, 2020, 12:19:38 PM »

And another one that most of us can likely comprehend: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/second_amendment

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #44735 on: July 26, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »

This is some funny shit

Even Reagan can't stand Trump

and he's fucking dead

and Ronnie ravaged by dementia could still score higher on a cognitive test than Trump.

https://twitter.com/DavidPriess/status/1287135983864078336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1287135983864078336%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html1287135983864078336

“When Reagan Foundation officials were made aware of the Trump email solicitation [using Reagan’s name and likeness], they decided ‘within seconds’ to put a stop to it.... and may still decide to get lawyers involved.”

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44736 on: July 26, 2020, 12:51:11 PM »

Or, in a free society, parents will decide what sugar content of cereal is permissible by not buying the product or limiting the servings.

In a free society with an educated consumer and honest product information.

We largely do not have educated consumers and honest product information is a comparative novelty, to the extent that we have
The whole corn syrup debacle is evidence that a)  consumers don't all have time to master nutritional science and b)  that there is a use in having expertise pooled by governmental bodies and brought to bear on regulating the sale of health-damaging "food. "   

But hey,  if you're okay with a nation of soaring rates of diabetes and widespread obesity, and resultant chronic illnesses,  then FREEDOM MAGA MAGA MAGA!!!!!
it...
What world do you  live in ?
Products have labels identifying nutrition information, recommended daily allowances etc.
People are not stupid when they shop, nor do they more government nannies as consultants.
America’s diabetes rate is not soaring but is higher than we want. But much of the problem is heredity since Native Americans, Americans of Asian descent, and Black Americans have historic higher rates of diabetes.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44737 on: July 26, 2020, 12:57:43 PM »

I'd prefer a rewrite of the 2nd A to say Guns being inherently dangerous can be relegated or banned by states as they see fit.  But that's not gonna fly.

No,  it wouldn't.  And,  in the event of some food supply catastrophe, a hunting rifle might help keep some people from starvation.   I have a mule deer in my yard as I'm writing this.   Not sure I could shoot it.   It seems to know me.   I've brought out a bucket of water on hot parched days, and I think its one of the bunch that's been here before and remembers that.   What's really strange is that our cat,  usually timid around large creatures, seems to like mule deer and will go out there and sit near them.   

BTW,  seeing in the news a tally of 3700 new cases yesterday in AZ...hope the Lime family is doing okay.   Boz hasn't posted lately,  I hope he and his are just off frolicking amongst the cacti and mesquite,  or whatever they do for recreation.
Sequoias and redwoods, actually.
A parrot bit me.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #44738 on: July 26, 2020, 01:04:53 PM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #44740 on: July 26, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »

Red, the man who promises "MILLIONS" but delivers pennies, is now Dr. Red our healthcare-home ec-nutritionist-genelogist-DNA expert who tells us:

America’s diabetes rate is not soaring but is higher than we want. But much of the problem is heredity since Native Americans, Americans of Asian descent, and Black Americans have historic higher rates of diabetes.

I'm not the expert that Dr Red is, but perhaps he could explain how Native-American's DNA evolved and mutated so quickly and diabetes which was once rare to them, has become much higher among them in the decades after WW2. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK233089/

Diabetes was apparently rare among Native Americans until the middle part of the twentieth century (Joslin, 1940; West, 1974; Sievers and Fisher, 1985). However, since World War II, it has become one of the most common serious diseases among many Native American tribes (Sievers and Fisher, 1985);

And did Americans of Asian descent catch diabetes from the Native Americans?

Please Dr Red tell us!

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #44741 on: July 26, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »

Or, in a free society, parents will decide what sugar content of cereal is permissible by not buying the product or limiting the servings.

In a free society with an educated consumer and honest product information.

We largely do not have educated consumers and honest product information is a comparative novelty, to the extent that we have
The whole corn syrup debacle is evidence that a)  consumers don't all have time to master nutritional science and b)  that there is a use in having expertise pooled by governmental bodies and brought to bear on regulating the sale of health-damaging "food. "   

But hey,  if you're okay with a nation of soaring rates of diabetes and widespread obesity, and resultant chronic illnesses,  then FREEDOM MAGA MAGA MAGA!!!!!
it...
What world do you  live in ?
Products have labels identifying nutrition information, recommended daily allowances etc.
People are not stupid when they shop, nor do they more government nannies as consultants.

It took a LOT of government nannies as consultants to push those labels through.  There were no labels before 1994.  Even then certain foods were exempt (meat and alcohol) from having them.  Then through 2016 the labels were confusing and misleading.

Products containing less than 5 g of fat show amounts rounded to the nearest 0.5 g. Amounts less than 0.5 g are rounded to 0 g. For example, if a product contains 0.45 g of trans fat per serving, and the package contains 18 servings, the label would show 0 g of trans fat, even though the product actually contains a total of 8.1 g of trans fat.

Only recently are americans getting a better picture of what is actually in their foods thanks to all the work of government nannies.

Useful regulations are everywhere.  We don't live in a society where you can drink a liter of al vodka and then go driving a school bus or pilot a plane or get into your own car and go to the supermarket.   We need government nannies because of all the "freedumb" lovers who would actually behave like amoral anarchists.  We have laws.  We have regulation.  We need them to protect the people from other people.   This is a society of laws and regulations, not a free-for-all!     
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:57:23 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44742 on: July 26, 2020, 01:51:21 PM »

I love it when you get stupid and racist.

(a) Americans are stupid when they shop. For that matter, Americans are stupid when they put unit pricing on the shelves, while the majority of shoppers never notice.

(b) 34.2 million adults in the US have diabetes, (26.8 million were diagnosed, and 7.3 million were undiagnosed.)

(c) .5 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes every year.

(d) Another 88 million are pre-diabetic.

(e) As it turns out, while there is a genetic component, the bulk of the problem is what we are being fed.
7.5% of non-Hispanic whites
9.2% of Asian Americans
12.5% of Hispanics
11.7% of non-Hispanic blacks
14.7% of American Indians/Alaskan Natives

It's not genetics alone that are at work. Not even close!

Number and Percentage of U.S. Population with Diagnosed Diabetes 1958–2015
Year Percentage Number (in millions) (only counting the diagnosed
1958 0.93 1.58
1968 1.62 3.18
1978 2.37 5.19
1988 2.56 6.16
1998 3.90 10.48
2008 6.29 18.81
2018 8.2   26.8

So, no, it is not because of the non-whites, despite your saying so. And our rates are soaring.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #44743 on: July 26, 2020, 01:54:40 PM »

Kam-Dr. Red doesn't believe in unecessary regulations.

He is of the belief that business can adequately police and regulate itself.

I fear our trusted Dr. Red is nothing more than a charlatan quack.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:56:26 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44744 on: July 26, 2020, 01:57:48 PM »

Trump has finally brought the death panels republicans have been so frightened of for the last decade.

They are the key to understanding all of trump’s policies and plans going forward.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war
Pages: 1 ... 2981 2982 [2983] 2984 2985 ... 4288