Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3169 3170 [3171] 3172 3173 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007587 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #47550 on: August 18, 2020, 07:48:57 AM »

Changing the subject a bit, I give you one of North Jersey's best, high school sports columnist Darren Cooper of the Bergen Record:

Is it so hard to believe that the leadership in New Jersey has done a lot of work, a lot of research, and a lot of soul-searching to make this decision and came to the conclusion that it’s reasonably safe?

That word 'reasonably' is where people get caught up. One can say that if one trainer, coach or player gets COVID-19 while playing sports then it’s too many.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/high-school/darren-cooper/2020/08/17/new-jersey-high-school-sports-its-game-on-but-there-risks/3378800001/

[High school sports in New Jersey are GAME ON starting Oct 1 (Sep 14 for practices)]

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #47551 on: August 18, 2020, 07:56:14 AM »

More HS sports info from the area:

The NJSIAA's decision diverged from its counterparts in Delaware and Maryland, both of which have pushed fall and winter sports to the spring semester of the 2020-2021 academic year.

The New York State Public High School Athletic Association has voted to delay the start of its fall sports season until Sept. 21.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf has recommended that the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association not conduct any sports until Jan. 1. The PIAA is scheduled to make a final decision on Wolf’s recommendation at a meeting on Friday, Aug. 21. However, the Philadelphia Public League has already suspended all scholastic athletic competition until Jan. 1. 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/08/17/nj-high-school-football-fall-sports-on-as-planned-gov-murphy-says/5592601002/

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #47552 on: August 18, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »

"Faith".  I guess you ignored my advice and went with stupid right away.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #47553 on: August 18, 2020, 08:47:40 AM »

Sadly  I agree that Trump will win, but it'll be the opposite reason from "seeing the light".  Whatever that is.

I think Trump and the GOP are in for an epic beat down across the board.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #47554 on: August 18, 2020, 08:50:30 AM »

However, it is clear what also didn’t work: that the Democrats have yet to offer an alternative vision to lead America forward.

At this point, building an anti-Trump coalition appears to be the singular goal, rather than offering a broad-based agenda of change for America

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/democratic-convention-first-night-doug-schoen

There is a broad based agenda to get that motherfucker out of office and that is a laudable singular goal.

Save the world.

Fix the system.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #47555 on: August 18, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »

Sadly  I agree that Trump will win, but it'll be the opposite reason from "seeing the light".  Whatever that is.

I think Trump and the GOP are in for an epic beat down across the board.
From your lips to God's ear.  I'll be delighted to be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:57:27 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #47556 on: August 18, 2020, 09:06:10 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/asia/wuhan-water-park-party-intl-hnk/index.html

Meanwhile we need to hold our National Conventions via Zoom.

Make America Great Again.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #47557 on: August 18, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »

There is a broad based agenda to get that motherfucker out of office and that is a laudable singular goal.

This is where you go astray

Lack of a better plan

"Trump sucks" does not get it done.

barton

« Reply #47558 on: August 18, 2020, 09:09:35 AM »

"Faith".  I guess you ignored my advice and went with stupid right away.

I had to put him back on Igg.   It was actually lowering my IQ,  just reading his posts.

I understand your pessimism about Joe's chances in November.  I hope you can put it to positive use,  frightening as many people as possible into voting and supporting gotv programs.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #47559 on: August 18, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »

This is where you go astray

Lack of a better plan

"Trump sucks" does not get it done.

Pure mythology.  I get how you want to think the Democratic Party hasn't put forward an agenda for actually governing, but if that was actually your takeaway from last night, you had your head up your ass during the telecast. 

Its also pure projection.  kiidcarter8 imagines that Democrats are only fueled by hate, because that is all Republicans have.  Facts:  Last night was about calling on America's better angels, and drawing contrasts of character, competence and policy.

Meanwhile, speakers at the Republican National Convention will include the armed St. Louis couple, Ted Nugent and Nicholas Sandmann.  So which party is putting forward hate over policy again?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47560 on: August 18, 2020, 09:46:07 AM »

This format was very effective. Very intimate. The party talked directly to the people at home and not the true believers in the arena.

Less talking head time  and much more direct engagement.

I liked this a lot.
Two things: 1) it was nice to hear the speeches without them being interrupted by wild cheering at the end of every line, allowing them to flow.and build, and 2) I missed the wild cheering at the end of every line.

Also, count me.among those sick sick sick of Zoom meetings.

Well, we use Teams, but still.
A parrot bit me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #47561 on: August 18, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »

The Intelligence Committee’s nearly 1,000-page report was expected to substantially confirm the findings of the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, putting a bipartisan Senate imprimatur on a set of conclusions that President Trump and his allies — including some Republican senators and Attorney General William P. Barr — are trying to pick apart.

The committee did not preview its findings. Lawmakers and aides who wrote the report cautioned ahead of time that it would contain no meaningful new evidence of coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign but rather would add details to the already vivid web of contacts between the two worlds. Mr. Mueller found that Russia expected to gain from a Trump presidency and that the campaign expected to benefit from the Kremlin’s interference but did not establish an illegal conspiracy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/us/politics/senate-intelligence-russian-interference-report.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47562 on: August 18, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »

4. The Haunting of Ohio House
When they heard mysterious noises from the basement, the students investigated.
There was a locker in the basement. It led to a secret room with a bed, textbooks.  Someone was living in the house...

When I was a wee punk, there was a creepy TV film poorly titled Bad Ronald.
Teenager accidentally kills his neighbor, so his mom hides him in a secret room behind the walls of the house.  Time passes, mom dies, another family moves in.

I found this pretty intriguing and frightening when I was about 9.  The idea someone could be living in your house without you knowing it, like a giant insect.
There's some good Freudian overtones in the film as well.

Some Bad Ronald scenes on YouTube.  The film was adapted from a novel by sci-fi writer Jack Vance, and has an ultra 70's look/style to it. 

And some Bad Ronald fan with too much time and a computer even made a music video using scenes from Bad Ronald and Radiohead's song Creep.  Works pretty well, and includes the best scenes from the end of the film.  (better than the trailer, which has a blaring soundtrack, and surprisingly is also on You Tube).

I remember that movie. It was from the hit or miss ABC Movie of the Week series.
Are you sure it wasn't the ex-housekeeper's husband?
A parrot bit me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #47563 on: August 18, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »

This format was very effective. Very intimate. The party talked directly to the people at home and not the true believers in the arena.

Less talking head time  and much more direct engagement.

I liked this a lot.
Two things: 1) it was nice to hear the speeches without them being interrupted by wild cheering at the end of every line, allowing them to flow.and build, and 2) I missed the wild cheering at the end of every line.

Also, count me.among those sick sick sick of Zoom meetings.

Well, we use Teams, but still.

Agree, the format was unfortunate.  Political speeches fall flat when delivered on camera like that, when the speaker can not feed off of the crowd's emotions, and when the speaker does show emotion it feels fake.  It takes away from the message.  Conventions are meant to hype people up.  No matter how well delivered and true the words were last night, the experience wasn't energizing.

I have had Bruce Springsteen in my head all morning, so there is that.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #47564 on: August 18, 2020, 10:38:31 AM »

Are you sure it wasn't the ex-housekeeper's husband?
[/quote]

Nobody's allowed to mess with my Bad Ronald memories.

There's a lot of Freudian stuff going on.  His mother keeps him safe and secluded in a hidden place away from people, where he's totally dependent upon her.  When mom is no longer able to protect him, he bursts into the world through the wall in a panic.  It needs to be mother and son.

It's a pretty effective scene when Ronald forgets to replace a peephole, so one of the new residents spots an odd light coming from a hole in the wall, walks over and just as she sticks her eye to the hole to look in, Ronald puts his eye there from the other side.  And then Ronald crashes through the wall. At least that's how I remember it going down.

I love the eyeball appearing there, so creepily you know there's someone bizarrely in the wall.  Nicely unexpected.  It would be anti-climactic just to have her look in and see that there's a room in there or see Ronald's possessions.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 3169 3170 [3171] 3172 3173 ... 4288