Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3184 3185 [3186] 3187 3188 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007110 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #47775 on: August 20, 2020, 08:46:18 AM »

ANZUS Alliance.
Prime Minister Howard was in NYC on 9/11, saw America attacked, saw Americans slaughtered.
He signed Australia up to the US President's ...Coalition Of the Willing.

20 years ago.  Did you forget to leave?

Trump and the US are basically handing things back over to the Taliban.
Well, Kabul will remain an island of corruption for a few more years ...

$1 Trillion just doesn't get you much these days ...

Combat troops left in 2013.
The severed hands case was finalised in 2017.
The shooting of unarmed Afghan case is ongoing.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

barton

« Reply #47776 on: August 20, 2020, 09:27:46 AM »

This does not sit well with teenager Greta Thunberg who at 17 is the most overrated “expert” on climate change matters and a darling of the left.

Or with all the reputable climatologists and atmospheric physicists she pays attention to.

Biden is essentially a moderate Republican who is trying to get progressives under the umbrella without alienating Wall Street, NTers or centrist Indies.   I feared from the start he would do this in a way that compromises efforts towards sustainable Green energy.

Europe is giving incentives to companies like Royal Dutch Shell and BP to go "beyond petroleum" while we're still doing the opposite.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #47777 on: August 20, 2020, 09:41:18 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #47778 on: August 20, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »

I'm not into labels, but the only way Joe Biden is a "Moderate Republican" is by re-defining by what the Democratic and Republican Parties are.

Biden is an old-fashioned FDR coalition type of Democrat.  You can like it or not and want the Democratic Party to be different these days but in any event he's no Republican even with a tortured re-definition. 

It's also my view that if enough people actually view Biden as a "Moderate Republican" Trump is going to win again...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:46:29 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47779 on: August 20, 2020, 10:02:49 AM »

It's also my view that if enough people actually view Biden as a "Moderate Republican" Trump is going to win again...

I agree both that Biden is a moderate Republican only by tortured definitions and that the push to define him as such is dangerous. Bernie Sanders' statement on this is that Biden may prove to have the most progressive administration since FDR's.

OTOH, while I agree with the "if enough people" sentiment, I'd also note that it is tautologically indisputable.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #47780 on: August 20, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »

Biden much more a Rockefeller Republican than an FDR Democrat.

Biden is very much status quo, or at least returning us to the centrist status quo of the Obama years.  I wished Obama was going to be an FDR/Reagan realignment figure, though he talked a much more moderate game, and never tried.  Actually I wanted Hilary in 2008 to hit the ground running, save the economy, and then Obama to be her successor.  At that time, he'd be more experienced and could maybe be a transformational figure.

Not long after W Bush's infamous presidency, the GOP started taking over statehouses and Congress under Obama's watch.

The Dems have allowed unions to get crushed and Big Business to triumph, and that's a large reason they are shaky.  Yeah, Biden is trying to win with the FDR coalition minus the formerly Democratic solid south.  The industrial Midwest, which the Dems helped sell out to globalization is the key battleground.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #47781 on: August 20, 2020, 10:06:49 AM »

My point was about perception in an electoral context.    And yes,  Trump will win again,  if Joe starts chopping chunks off progress pieces of the platform.   That was precisely my point.   Of course he's not literally a moderate republican,  unless you define Republican as "where Nelson Rockefeller was in the old days."

barton

« Reply #47782 on: August 20, 2020, 10:10:30 AM »

Ha,  parallel posts,  Bo.   Yes,  people should remember the Republican party didn't use to be so far right.   

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #47783 on: August 20, 2020, 10:15:25 AM »

Biden much more a Rockefeller Republican than an FDR Democrat.

If Biden was a Rockefeller Republican he would have run as a Rockefeller Republican.  At one time there was no shame in that in the Republican Party. 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:19:15 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #47784 on: August 20, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »

In 2010, major credit card companies like Visa, Mastercard, and American Express pleaded with Obama’s trade representative to take action against China for shutting them out of the country’s market, especially since Beijing had promised them access by 2006. But Obama’s team didn’t succeed, making it an issue for Trump to deal with during trade negotiations.

Well, credit cards are so 2010.  In China, most people pay by one of the two major phone apps.  Credit cards were never popular or common in China.  Debit cards which deduct from bank accounts were fairly popular in cities, but these days it's almost exclusively older people (50-65) you see still using them in stores.  So really this is almost a dead issue.  China is not going to become a big credit card nation, though it's perhaps a big enough market so on a small scale it could work, especially for younger wealthy Chinese who plan to travel abroad. 

Recently I received a refund in cash and it seemed odd, since I haven't handled  cash in a few years.  Cashless e-money was a boon during the coronavirus days, as you didn't have to exchange anything, just a quick scan at a slight distance.  Paying with your phone is so quick and easy and made me feel less silly about carrying a phone around with me everywhere.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #47785 on: August 20, 2020, 10:21:35 AM »

<i>Biden much more a Rockefeller Republican than an FDR Democrat.</i>

If Biden was a Rockefeller Republican he would have run as a Rockefeller Republican.  At one time there was no shame in the Republican Party.

In the 70's the Dems were still ascendant, and people with working class roots trended Dem.

If I were the GOP, I'd look into Biden's relationship with the DuPont's since they mostly control the state.  And research Kamala's interactions with Wells Fargo which has basically been an extended fraud for decades.  I don't know what's there, but seems fruitful avenues to pursue.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47786 on: August 20, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/politics/patricia-mark-mccloskey-rnc-st-louis-couple-guns-protesters/index.html

This seems to me to be an odd decision for a national convention.

I don't suppose it's an odd decision for a Trump convention...
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #47787 on: August 20, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/politics/patricia-mark-mccloskey-rnc-st-louis-couple-guns-protesters/index.html

This seems to me to be an odd decision for a national convention.

I don't suppose it's an odd decision for a Trump convention...
Kid will react to them the way teenage girls reacted to the Beatles. Bambu too (his lifelong dream has been to pull a legal gun on black folks), but he doesn't have a vote.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #47788 on: August 20, 2020, 11:56:14 AM »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:01:14 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47789 on: August 20, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/20/politics/donald-trump-new-york-tax-records/index.html

Let's see how fast the 2nd District Appeals court responds to the further delaying tactics of Trump.

I suspect that they will deny his emergency request swiftly.
Pages: 1 ... 3184 3185 [3186] 3187 3188 ... 4288