Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3239 3240 [3241] 3242 3243 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1831209 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #48600 on: August 28, 2020, 06:04:26 AM »

On the issue of the police, I have always hated cops, fuck the police, just let me have a gun and I will protect myself. I support the 2nd Amendment. I do not need the police. Give me a gun, and I will protect myself.

And the prison guards and the border patrol can all fuck off too, they need to get real jobs.

No one needs to protect me, I can protect myself, just let me have a gun.

I do not need soldiers to die for me, and I do not need cops to protect me, just give me a gun and I will protect myself.

And the same with the Koreans, and everyone else, give them guns and let them protect themselves.

Salute,

Tony V.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #48601 on: August 28, 2020, 06:33:47 AM »

Huh.

I found OPERATE FIREARM WHILE INTOXICATED far more damning.

In 2016 he was 13.

Or maybe 12. And already in trouble with booze and a gun. A kid who should never have been given that gun and dropped off in the middle of conflict.
Huh.

I found OPERATE FIREARM WHILE INTOXICATED far more damning.

In 2016 he was 13.

Or maybe 12. And already in trouble with booze and a gun. A kid who should never have been given that gun and dropped off in the middle of conflict.

Exactly.
Total madness.

And irrelevant, perhaps, it turns out:
"Editor’s Note: Here is where we original (sic) posted criminal charges according to investigative reporting of Latino Empowerment Administrator Duane Bryght, but it has been pointed out that some or all of the criminal charges originally shared attributed to the Kenosha protest killer Kyle Rittenhouse actually belong to another Kyle Rittenhouse. Kyle Joseph Rittenhouse who is 31-years-old. The shooter is Kyle Howard Rittenhouse who is 17-years-old. We like to thank our readers for pointing that out to us so we can make the correction. While we pride ourselves on our research and facts we provide, it is equally important to correct what we may have occasionally gotten wrong."

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #48602 on: August 28, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »

A lot of what has gone on in this country over the last three and a half years has been infuriating and made me worry for the direction of this country and our democracy.

While being far less consequential in terms of peoples lives and well-being, seeing TRUMP 2020 inscribed over the Washington Monument in a fireworks display for the Republican National Convention is the most blatant.

The rule of law?  Trump doesn't think the rules or the laws apply to him.  The government, our tax dollars and our monuments are there to serve his ego and his reelection. 

Four more years of this and we will be a democracy in theory not in practice.  This isn't hyperbole.  I wish it was.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #48603 on: August 28, 2020, 08:35:29 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/us/civil-rights-protests-then-now/index.html

This is a quick piece. There are relevant quotes from the folks they turned to from the past. I wish they had engendered dialog between those figures from then and those from now. I think the current folks might benefit from it, that we might all benefit from it.

But yes: "It's not that it's so much worse, now. It's that everybody can see it."

The ubiquity of cameras is vital. Emmett Till's mom shocked the world in 1955. The world has needed far more shocking than anybody would have hoped - and worse, yet, it has gotten it and then some. But "keep marching."

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #48604 on: August 28, 2020, 08:39:48 AM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #48605 on: August 28, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »

Trump vows to stop the protests, slams the NBA, and continues to fail to address the Jacob Blake shooting.

It's being investigated.  Why would he comment?

When has that ever stopped him unless the stoppage was self-serving?

That was Obama - jumped in with no facts and looked the fool.

Obama begot Trump - remember that til your dying day.

Yeah, white people couldn’t take having a black president do they found the worst white guy they could find.

Probably the greatest self own in modern history.

White people elected the Black president.

No. They didn’t.

White people voted for McCain and Romney.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #48606 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »

A lot of what has gone on in this country over the last three and a half years has been infuriating and made me worry for the direction of this country and our democracy.

While being far less consequential in terms of peoples lives and well-being, seeing TRUMP 2020 inscribed over the Washington Monument in a fireworks display for the Republican National Convention is the most blatant.

The rule of law?  Trump doesn't think the rules or the laws apply to him.  The government, our tax dollars and our monuments are there to serve his ego and his reelection. 

Four more years of this and we will be a democracy in theory not in practice.  This isn't hyperbole.  I wish it was.

Achtung
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #48607 on: August 28, 2020, 09:23:09 AM »

bambu is the "PMA...positive mental attitude guru

Hilarious ...

Like that?

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, so today do whatever makes you happy, even if that is 'nothing'.

×××

I've lent my friend who is struggling my copy of
SUCCESS
through
a
POSITIVE MENTAL
ATTITUDE.

You haven't been killed by a homicidal tree.   That's a powerful testimonial right there.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #48608 on: August 28, 2020, 09:23:26 AM »

White people voted for McCain and Romney.

And many of the Whites who voted for Obama switched to Trump over race:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/10/16/17980820/trump-obama-2016-race-racism-class-economy-2018-midterm
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #48609 on: August 28, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »

bambu is the "PMA...positive mental attitude guru
Hilarious ...
If you're helping your friend, that's terrific.
But you seem to have the most negative worldview of anyone I've encountered.  You live in permafear.  You desperately want a gun to ward off home invaders and immigrants and alien cannibals or whatever someone on the radio told you to be afraid of recently.  You're the exact kind of dupe that falls for Trump's parade of fear.  A parade of potential horribles seem to keep you locked in a safe room with a computer.  And yet on the side you spread the power of having a positive attitude.

When I first popped into politics, I was sure this bambu poster was a definite put-on.  One note performance art.   Now I go back and forth.  Some people are content to be parodies of themselves ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #48610 on: August 28, 2020, 09:25:55 AM »

Coronavirus in Florida: Around 9,000 new pediatric cases within 15 days of schools opening

https://www.wfla.com/news/by-the-numbers/coronavirus-in-florida-around-9000-new-pediatric-cases-within-15-days-of-schools-opening/

Baby killer?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #48611 on: August 28, 2020, 09:50:34 AM »

Achtung

When corporate money can buy votes,  and controls a lot of media,  as has been the case a long time,  democracy is already pretty theoretical.   We will need a Blue wave,  possibly a Blue tsunami,  to get real campaign finance reform at all levels of government.   (assuming Blue doesn't drift centerward, the Left wing withers,  and they end up as much in the pockets of billionaire donors as the GOP is)   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #48612 on: August 28, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »

I would argue that the ability of corporations to use their resources to influence voters does not make our democracy theoretical, but flawed.

Using the resources and levers of the people's government while in power to stay in power and to go after political opponents and break the law with impunity...that crosses that line.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #48613 on: August 28, 2020, 10:23:57 AM »

This is gonna piss off a lot of progressives. How you gonna call Biden a ‘neo-liberal’ as an epithet?

Once you accept that what is good for overall global growth or even for the stock market is not necessarily good for the American worker, it becomes possible to envision a form of economic nationalism that guides U.S. behavior both at home and abroad. This seems to be what Biden has in mind with his plan for a “Made in All of America” agenda. The big investments he plans in infrastructure, education, health care, and research and development would be directed to U.S. firms to create jobs at home. A “pro-American worker tax and trade strategy” would “take aggressive trade enforcement actions against China” but also eliminate tax incentives for U.S. firms to move operations overseas.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/08/27/biden-is-getting-ready-to-bury-neoliberalism/

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #48614 on: August 28, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »

Such training measures are designed to help law enforcement officers recognize these unconscious biases in order to reduce their influence on police behavior.

These reforms, while well-intentioned, leave unaddressed an especially harmful form of bias, which remains entrenched within law enforcement: explicit racism. Explicit racism in law enforcement takes many forms, from membership or affiliation with violent white supremacist or far-right militant groups, to engaging in racially discriminatory behavior toward the public or law enforcement colleagues, to making racist remarks and sharing them on social media. While it is widely acknowledged that racist officers subsist within police departments around the country, federal, state, and local governments are doing far too little to proactively identify them, report their behavior to prosecutors who might unwittingly rely on their testimony in criminal cases, or protect the diverse communities they are sworn to serve.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/hidden-plain-sight-racism-white-supremacy-and-far-right-militancy-law

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 3239 3240 [3241] 3242 3243 ... 4288