Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3396 3397 [3398] 3399 3400 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595009 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #50955 on: September 21, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »

Her hands are cold and dead now like her heart and her conscience. The rest of her seems more or less alive, if you use the term loosely.

In attempting to put themselves beyond the reach of the law, the republicans have put themselves beyond the law’s protection.

They really need Biden to win big to avoid the worst repercussions of their current condition. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50956 on: September 21, 2020, 04:40:50 PM »

One way for Democrats to make clear they will not tolerate Republicans trying to fill this seat in advance of the election would be for them to pledge that, if they take the White House and Senate in November, they will increase the size of the Supreme Court to 13 justices.
From LAT.

Yep.

But for now one must consider that if we have another Bush v Gore, which we had no business ever having in the first place, Trump SCOTUS appointee could be involved. Also, if there is no appointee, a SCOTUS 4-4 decision could be rendered.

Then, it's "say hello to my little friend Civil War"!

The part I find confusing is that SCOTUS ties have meant that a case reverts to the lower court decision.  But where does it go when there  is no lower court involved?

Well, that's the thing. IN the Bush v Gore, it would have gone back to FLASC.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #50957 on: September 21, 2020, 04:41:22 PM »

The voters seem likely to hand the republicans the wipeout on which their future depends so greatly,

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50958 on: September 21, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »

One way for Democrats to make clear they will not tolerate Republicans trying to fill this seat in advance of the election would be for them to pledge that, if they take the White House and Senate in November, they will increase the size of the Supreme Court to 13 justices.
From LAT.

Yep.

But for now one must consider that if we have another Bush v Gore, which we had no business ever having in the first place, Trump SCOTUS appointee could be involved. Also, if there is no appointee, a SCOTUS 4-4 decision could be rendered.

Then, it's "say hello to my little friend Civil War"!

The part I find confusing is that SCOTUS ties have meant that a case reverts to the lower court decision.  But where does it go when there  is no lower court involved?

Well, that's the thing. IN the Bush v Gore, it would have gone back to FLASC.

Because it was the lower court.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #50959 on: September 21, 2020, 04:43:01 PM »

Barton,

When I was a child in San Bernardino, California, we lived on a street named Barton Street, and the street was named after an early developer and Mayor of San Bernardino, Hiram M. Barton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_M._Barton

San Bernardino was nice for a long time, but then it went down hill. People need to be creative and people need to work hard in good ways in order to breath life back into San Bernardino.

Anyhow, I just thought that you might find that interesting.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50960 on: September 21, 2020, 04:45:30 PM »

Martha McSally said you can pry GOP's Senate majority 'out of my cold, dead hands.'

No problem, Martie.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50961 on: September 21, 2020, 04:48:25 PM »

This is an example of a case that went from dispute to SCOTUS, with no lower court involved:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/130ORIG.ZS.html

Nor could they direct it to a lower court because the Constitution requires cases between states go to them, if I recall correctly.

Had they deadlocked, they would have punted it to the following term. There were 8 of them, as Souter had recused himself. But it was not a tough call in this instance. NH had already screwed themselves with previously held positions.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #50962 on: September 21, 2020, 05:15:33 PM »

Since trump and the republicans have destroyed five million jobs, Americans are doing what they can to get by,

http://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ep435n/gig-economy-company-launches-uber-but-for-evicting-people

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #50963 on: September 21, 2020, 05:20:43 PM »

California?
The real reasons the current fires are bad:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/20/climate/california-climate-change-fires.html

California is one of America’s marvels. By moving vast quantities of water and suppressing wildfires for decades, the state has transformed its arid and mountainous landscape into the richest, most populous and bounteous place in the nation.

But now, those same feats have given California a new and unwelcome category of superlatives.

This year is the state’s worst wildfire season on record. That follows its hottest August on record; a punishing drought that lasted from 2011 to last year; and one of its worst flood emergencies on record three years ago, when heavy rains caused the state’s highest dam to nearly fail, forcing more than 180,000 people to flee.

The same manufactured landscapes that have enabled California’s tremendous growth, building the state into a $3 trillion economy that is home to one in 10 Americans, have also left it more exposed to climate shocks, experts say.

#####

Well there you go.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #50964 on: September 21, 2020, 05:30:38 PM »

Barton,

When I was a child in San Bernardino, California, we lived on a street named Barton Street, and the street was named after an early developer and Mayor of San Bernardino, Hiram M. Barton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_M._Barton

San Bernardino was nice for a long time, but then it went down hill. People need to be creative and people need to work hard in good ways in order to breath life back into San Bernardino.

Anyhow, I just thought that you might find that interesting.

Salute,

Tony V.

Interesting.
bambuland also has/had a famous Barton;

Sir Edmund "Toby" Barton, GCMG, KC was an Australian politician and judge who served as the first Prime Minister of Australia, in office from 1901 to 1903. He resigned to become a founding member of the High Court of Australia, where he served until his death. - Wikipedia
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50965 on: September 21, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »

Fink, guys. Fink.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

barton

« Reply #50966 on: September 21, 2020, 06:07:10 PM »

This is an example of a case that went from dispute to SCOTUS, with no lower court involved:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/130ORIG.ZS.html

Nor could they direct it to a lower court because the Constitution requires cases between states go to them, if I recall correctly.

Had they deadlocked, they would have punted it to the following term. There were 8 of them, as Souter had recused himself. But it was not a tough call in this instance. NH had already screwed themselves with previously held positions.

Thanks!   Concrete example very helpful.   That "original jurisdiction" clause.   Not sure how electoral returns would ever involve an interstate dispute, so maybe that's a migraine no one ever needs to get.   

barton

« Reply #50967 on: September 21, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »

Fink, guys. Fink.

I spend my time here studying John Goodman's psyche.  Madman Mundt,  that is.     

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50968 on: September 21, 2020, 06:25:23 PM »

Fink, guys. Fink.

I spend my time here studying John Goodman's psyche.  Madman Mundt,  that is.   
Goodman's heartfelt and moving monolog on the life of the mind remains one of the best bits of writing in the  Coens' oeuvre.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #50969 on: September 21, 2020, 06:34:40 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/new-us-covid-19-cases-rise-17percent-in-past-week-deaths-up-5percent/ar-BB19gLLu?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

New U.S. COVID-19 cases rise 17% in past week, deaths up 5% [/b]

(Reuters) - The weekly number of new COVID-19 cases in the United States rose last week for the first time after falling for eight straight weeks, an increase that health experts attributed to schools reopening and parties over the Labor Day holiday.

#####

bambu is a simple man.
Simple solution...close the schools and ban parties.

17%...is better than the UK's doubling of new cases every 7 days. France is exploding with new cases too.

Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 3396 3397 [3398] 3399 3400 ... 4288