Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3525 3526 [3527] 3528 3529 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1614595 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #52890 on: October 09, 2020, 10:43:22 AM »

Also waiting on EMERSON, whose last poll was Biden +4
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52891 on: October 09, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »

So the Wolverine Watchmen, aka Michigan Morons, wanted to start a civil war because their governor closed the gyms during a pandemic.

Wait, what?

She closed the gym! This means war!!!

We know the water in Flint was a problem. But what about the water supply in the rest of the state?

Maybe this will explain some of this lunacy: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/10/09/gretchen-whitmer-kidnap-plot-michigan-hotbed-armed-groups/5934812002/
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #52892 on: October 09, 2020, 10:44:58 AM »

Also waiting on EMERSON, whose last poll was Biden +4

EXPLAIN your obsession with polls. They are not predictive measures, nor are they intended to be.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #52893 on: October 09, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »

Was Ted Nugent involved?!?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #52894 on: October 09, 2020, 11:08:59 AM »

Haha.

Less funny:

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/09/921713631/gun-control-groups-voice-grave-concerns-about-supreme-court-nominee-s-record

President Trump's nominee to the Supreme Court says she shares the outlook of her mentor, the late Justice Antonin Scalia. But on the issue of the Second Amendment, Amy Coney Barrett seems to have staked out an even more conservative position. 

Longterm,  a court like the one that's shaping up could lead to Congress moving to reaffirm the separation of powers, reducing the swollen power of the judiciary.   Congress also has the power to impeach judges.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52895 on: October 09, 2020, 11:13:35 AM »

The (surviving) West Wing cast is reuniting for an episode on HBO Max. Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g868M-27qpI&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR0c05RMekAVpkoQvxMQoPRxAOdq3WEb3YwGdt-WUhVm08DLQVwc5K-s2EI
kiid's favorite documentary.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52896 on: October 09, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »

But - Lincoln's year notwithstanding - most times Senate and WH are of same party a nomination goes through - and most times it is NOT same party controlling it DOES NOT.  29 cases overall, I believe.

Unsurprisingly, you believe wrong.

In fact, when the President is a Republican and the Senate is controlled by Democrats, the nominee has gone through, unless there were serious issues with that nominee (ie. Bork) and even sometimes when there were (ie. Thomas) 

The 29 number has to do with how many times a SCOTUS vacancy occurred during an election year.  And its wrong.

I was limiting it to election years.  Other cases aren't included in what I posted.  You may be right.  29 may be incorrect.  Check Ted Cruz's latest appearance on The View for that number.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52897 on: October 09, 2020, 11:19:55 AM »

Kamala was so proud of her Lincoln usage.  She was ready.  I give her credit.  But of course through history what Abe did is not the norm.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #52898 on: October 09, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »

The poorest 50 percent of Americans, roughly 165 million people, collectively owned less net worth of the nation’s 59 richest billionaires, who have a combined fortune of about $2.09 trillion.

The richest Americans have been stockpiling stocks in recent years — the wealthiest 10 percent now own more than 88 percent of corporate equity and mutual fund shares, meaning they benefit most from the booming markets.

Wow.
So they pretty much have cornered the market!
The Fed propping up the stock market and Trump touting the market is all about wealth for the wealthy.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #52899 on: October 09, 2020, 11:21:56 AM »

You cannot make these people see how irrational they really are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH329MmRikQ&feature=emb_logo

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #52900 on: October 09, 2020, 11:29:35 AM »

But - Lincoln's year notwithstanding - most times Senate and WH are of same party a nomination goes through - and most times it is NOT same party controlling it DOES NOT.  29 cases overall, I believe.

In fact, when the President is a Republican and the Senate is controlled by Democrats, the nominee has gone through, unless there were serious issues with that nominee (ie. Bork) and even sometimes when there were (ie. Thomas) 

The 29 number has to do with how many times a SCOTUS vacancy occurred during an election year.  And its wrong.

I was limiting it to election years.  Other cases aren't included in what I posted.  You may be right.  29 may be incorrect.  Check Ted Cruz's latest appearance on The View for that number.

Thanks, I'll pass.

The number is closer to a dozen, but its a distraction.  Bottom line is that the "precedent" argument is bullshit.  McConnell cited false precedent in 2015 (when Kennedy was confirmed by a Democratic Senate in 1988) and he is doing so now.

The "precedent" gets twisted to suit the purposes of Republicans.  And while there is a mountain of precedent for Democrats doing the right thing and accepting a Republicans nomination to SCOTUS, that will likely no longer happen.

More damage to our democracy via McConnell's rank partisanship.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #52901 on: October 09, 2020, 11:31:28 AM »

Kamala was so proud of her Lincoln usage.  She was ready.  I give her credit.  But of course through history what Abe did is not the norm.
It also had no connection to Kamala’s lament. https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/10/08/lincoln-supreme-court-kamala-harris/

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52902 on: October 09, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »

The actual number is 14. And no vacancy that occurred with 4 months of an election has ever been filled by congress. Brennan received a recess appointment in 1956.

By the way, there is a pretty good argument that Harris got Lincoln's motivation for not nominating a Taney replacement in 1864 wrong. Although there is nothing definitive either way it likely had more to do with Lincoln making sure Chase campaigned for him in the election, and his personal disdain for Chase - he once said he would rather swallow a chair than appoint Chase.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52903 on: October 09, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »

1. There are over 213K Americans who caught it and did NOT get better."

3 in a hundred - but this is inclusive of the early days

What is the rate now?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #52904 on: October 09, 2020, 11:49:31 AM »

The real issue of "packing the court" is the hypocrisy of what appears to be the Repubs succesful effort to pack the court with very conservatives justices through the theft of Obama's nomination of Merrit Garland.

I hope if Biden is elected he does not try to expand the court as the precedent would not be good and it would become a very difficult political issue in '22 and '24.

But I am torn by the possible huge damage that can be done for 25-35 years by now mid-age conservative reactionary justices serving into their 80s.

I would hope that the few decent R-senators would reflect on both the indeceny of this president, the indecency of the McConnell theft and whats in the best interest of this country and our democracy, and adopt a Lincolnan approach to the ACB SC nomination and vote it down.

And let the elected president make the nomination.

Otherwise they will have modeled and ratified a purely partisan approach to Senate confirmations where a D-Senate will be needed for D-President's nomination and a R-Senate for a R-President's nomination.

And I really think that is a model that should be tossed.

Pages: 1 ... 3525 3526 [3527] 3528 3529 ... 4288