Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3565 3566 [3567] 3568 3569 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608362 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53490 on: October 15, 2020, 09:44:25 PM »

This is how the good Judge explains it, YG.  I admit to not having heard the term prior to the hearing Monday

.......a matter “so well settled that no political actors push further overruling.”

I think she had other (similar) wording as well.  I'd have to check my DVR.

Except that would be misleading.

ACB was very familiar with the term super-precedent.

ACB wrote about super-precedent in a law review journal and she was questioned about it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #53491 on: October 15, 2020, 09:45:28 PM »

Senator Ben Sasse, a voice you will be hearing a lot of over the next couple of weeks.

http://journalstar.com/listen-ben-sasse-discusses-president-trump-in-response-to-constituents-question/video_f8707338-498d-53e1-9bb8-0624e137721f.html

I think there’s a really good question for trump tonight in there somewhere.

A real profile in courage.

Too fucking scared to stand-up to his colleagues or the incompetent fascist.

His real concern is the blue tsunami that may take his position of pwer away, not the real damage thie fascist motherfucker  has done to the US.

If you had any balls Sasse, you'd vote against Trump and his hand-picked hand-maiden of justice, and Trump and McConnell's paln to pack the court with another justice bought and paid for by dark and dangerous money.

Let Americans be heard over the scurrying of the Repub-rats who see the end coming and are starting to run to the exits.

They can run but they can’t escape the stench.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #53492 on: October 15, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »

Despite her 2-days of evasive non-answers, it was pretty clear where ACB stood on RvW.

Right

But she will be led by the law, not act wily-nily by the law of Amy.
What law?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53493 on: October 15, 2020, 09:46:53 PM »

Almost time to switch to the Trump-Guthrie cage match.

Shame there was no back and forth test for Joe tonight.  Actors just read questions then stood for their ten minutes of fame as Joe answered them partly, wrongly or not at all.  I recall ZERO scoring of points, sorry - just treading of water - which could very well be all he needs.

Joe did well.  Answers were overlong - and a bit scattered.  He will be criticized for not facing rebuttal.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #53494 on: October 15, 2020, 09:49:19 PM »

What Australia could do:

. Deport all their diplomatic staff (having recalled all its own first).
. Ban the importation of all cars made in China.
Etc
Hurl some insults back at them, complete with large pictures.

Retreat into your inland deserts. Cede the coasts and your fertile bits to the Chinese.

Like hell.
They reportedly won't answer phone calls in Australia, so they don't need to be here. They can refuse to answer phone calls etc just as well from smoggy China.

Go woke, go broke.

barton

« Reply #53495 on: October 15, 2020, 09:51:53 PM »

I voted, by mail.

I cannot believe Proposition 16, they want to repeal the Civil Rights Act of 1964...

Um,  Prop 16 doesn't remove any protections against discrimination or the other things King marched for.   It just restores Affirmative Action and other programs that aid diversity and levels the playing field for disadvantaged persons.   It works against systemic racism and poverty,  Tony.  You need to read the full text of stuff you're voting on.
Prop 16 would codify systemic racism.  It is stillborn according to California polls .
With total common sense justification.

How does it codify systemic racism?
By establishing race as a priority.
Local school funding plus redlining put that ship on the outbound tide long ago, to the further shrinkage of your micropenis.

I had a longer answer,  but yours gets to the heart of the matter.   Notice how he cut the most telling facts and figures out of my followup post.   Troll baby troll. 

barton

« Reply #53496 on: October 15, 2020, 10:00:28 PM »

And her answer seemed to be as lots of people are concerned and talking about RvW, it seemed to her that the issue of it as a super-precedent, or even a precedent was still an open question,

Pretty certain the good Judge was saying Roe was NOT a super precedent.  There really shouldnt be any confusion on the matter

Her law journal writings and other public opinions make it crystal clear she doesn't see Roe as super-p, or settled law.   She's an Originalist, so it's pretty obvious she doesn't subscribe to Living Document theory.  Or that the Constitution has anything to say about a right to medical privacy.   If you don't know what that Living Document concept is,  it's worth looking up.   

As has been pointed out,  the Constitution of 1790 also has nothing to say about women having a right to vote.   Or be judges.   Pull up the ladder,  Amy.

barton

« Reply #53497 on: October 15, 2020, 10:01:25 PM »

Senator Ben Sasse, a voice you will be hearing a lot of over the next couple of weeks.

http://journalstar.com/listen-ben-sasse-discusses-president-trump-in-response-to-constituents-question/video_f8707338-498d-53e1-9bb8-0624e137721f.html

I think there’s a really good question for trump tonight in there somewhere.

A real profile in courage.

Too fucking scared to stand-up to his colleagues or the incompetent fascist.

His real concern is the blue tsunami that may take his position of pwer away, not the real damage thie fascist motherfucker  has done to the US.

If you had any balls Sasse, you'd vote against Trump and his hand-picked hand-maiden of justice, and Trump and McConnell's paln to pack the court with another justice bought and paid for by dark and dangerous money.

Let Americans be heard over the scurrying of the Repub-rats who see the end coming and are starting to run to the exits.

They can run but they can’t escape the stench.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53498 on: October 15, 2020, 10:08:28 PM »

What would be the process of overturning Roe v Wade?

Who would actually be getting the case back to the SC?

You always talk about the prospect of it being overturned.  How? 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:10:18 PM by kiidcarter8 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #53499 on: October 15, 2020, 10:10:41 PM »

Those are questions for Red.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53500 on: October 15, 2020, 10:12:57 PM »

I voted, by mail.

I cannot believe Proposition 16, they want to repeal the Civil Rights Act of 1964...

Um,  Prop 16 doesn't remove any protections against discrimination or the other things King marched for.   It just restores Affirmative Action and other programs that aid diversity and levels the playing field for disadvantaged persons.   It works against systemic racism and poverty,  Tony.  You need to read the full text of stuff you're voting on.
Prop 16 would codify systemic racism.  It is stillborn according to California polls .
With total common sense justification.

How does it codify systemic racism?
By establishing race as a priority.
Local school funding plus redlining put that ship on the outbound tide long ago, to the further shrinkage of your micropenis.

I had a longer answer,  but yours gets to the heart of the matter.   Notice how he cut the most telling facts and figures out of my followup post.   Troll baby troll.
That would be you, not me. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #53501 on: October 15, 2020, 10:14:20 PM »

Sen Sheldon WH from RI gave a nice tutorial a couple of days ago on how certain cases find their way to the SC.

It was a fascinating 30 minutes presentation

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #53502 on: October 15, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »

Despite her 2-days of evasive non-answers, it was pretty clear where ACB stood on RvW.

Right

But she will be led by the law, not act wily-nily by the law of Amy.

Bullshit.

She is who they thought she was when she came through law school and began being groomed by the Federalist Society.

She was tapped by the most corrupt president who has flatly said why he selected her... because the FS told him to.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53503 on: October 15, 2020, 10:17:11 PM »

And her answer seemed to be as lots of people are concerned and talking about RvW, it seemed to her that the issue of it as a super-precedent, or even a precedent was still an open question,

Pretty certain the good Judge was saying Roe was NOT a super precedent.  There really shouldnt be any confusion on the matter

Her law journal writings and other public opinions make it crystal clear she doesn't see Roe as super-p, or settled law. 
As was her answer to Klobuchar.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #53504 on: October 15, 2020, 10:18:02 PM »

Almost time to switch to the Trump-Guthrie cage match.

Shame there was no back and forth test for Joe tonight.  Actors just read questions then stood for their ten minutes of fame as Joe answered them partly, wrongly or not at all.  I recall ZERO scoring of points, sorry - just treading of water - which could very well be all he needs.

Joe did well.  Answers were overlong - and a bit scattered.  He will be criticized for not facing rebuttal.

You know Trump could have shown up...

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 3565 3566 [3567] 3568 3569 ... 4288