Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3568 3569 [3570] 3571 3572 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608643 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53535 on: October 16, 2020, 10:02:36 AM »

Luee

Where did you serve your stretch?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53536 on: October 16, 2020, 10:05:52 AM »

Initial overnight ratings report has Biden with a higher viewership than Trump last night:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:v2eI0XLjYLcJ:https://advanced-television.com/2020/10/16/data-biden-pips-trump-in-town-hall-tv-ratings/+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Makes sense

Undecideds already know Trump.  And decided Dems aren't tuning in to that live while Joe is on.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53537 on: October 16, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »

Overturning Roe v Wade:

A number of different strategies can be employed.
I'm sure the ADF that Barrett has ties to and other right wing groups are already searching out cases and plaintiffs.  You appeal cases to the Supreme Court and let the justices select which case and method of undercutting Roe they prefer.

One, they can try finding a case that will allow the justices to just overturn Roe in one swoop. 

Two, a piecemeal approach where you chip away at Roe.
It should be easy to find a late 2nd trimester abortion where the fetus is viable and healthy.  Or a state passes a ban on 2nd trimester abortions in contravention of Roe.  Then the justices can easily say that Roe's medical understanding is out of date and limit abortions to only the first trimester.   A partial victory on the slow road to killing Roe.

Similarly a state that passes a fetal heartbeat law would allow Roe to be massively undercut.  Since a fetal heartbeat can be detected around 6 weeks, often before a woman even knows she is pregnant, allowing a ban on abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detected would pretty much end abortion.  Such a case will almost certainly get to the Supreme Court and it's a matter of 4 justices thinking that there will be 5 votes to uphold such a law and bleed Roe out.  Amy will vote for a fetal heartbeat law.  So will Scalito and Thomas.  That's 3 that I would count on.  Not certain on Gorsuch and Kavanaugh who might prefer a different approach or a more go it slow exsaguination.

I think with religious cult Barrett as such a new justice, they'll bide their time for a year or two and then still take a piecemeal approach, first weakening Roe before killing it off within 3-5 years.

Those seem to me the most obvious approaches that religious right lawyers will use: disallowing 2nd trimester abortions which most on the right will see as too weak, a favorite would be getting a fetal heartbeat law upheld, and later overthrowing a badly weakened Roe entirely.

SCOTUS could also uphold various state laws designed to make abortion difficult to obtain.  Such as those laws requiring high level medical facilities at abortion clinics or doctors have to have admitting privileges at hospitals.  The new Amy SCt will be much more inclined to see these as neutral gov't attempts to ensure health and safety.

And states will undoubtedly push things further and pass more laws that restrict abortion access or contradict Roe, allowing for more case challenges.  Most of this is already ongoing.

Thanks

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53538 on: October 16, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »

I would go with "Red thinks the only racism is against white people."

Joe had a gaffe tonight against whites
Ooooh a gaffe? What did he do? Praise an absolutely bonkers conspiracy theory that has as a core belief an anti-Semetic trope like the blood libel? THAT would be horrific. Unless you are Trump in which case it would be Thursday.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #53540 on: October 16, 2020, 10:42:43 AM »

Tough questioning is so unfair, eh kiid?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53541 on: October 16, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53542 on: October 16, 2020, 10:51:03 AM »

And......

Last Harris poll (waiting for October update)

was

Biden. +2

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53543 on: October 16, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53544 on: October 16, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #53545 on: October 16, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »

BBC News did a whole anti-Remdesevir report last night - saying a study showed no positive effect - but then ended with "of course if the drug is given early on........"

Duh.

How do you do the study on patients far along with COVID, then come out wioth a statement that the drug is imeffective - when you know the key is (from what we have heard from many sources) likely to get the drug early stages of the disease?

Folks at work behind the lines to sully PR on these important treatments?  Sad.
Just like all those people working to sully the reputation of that miracle cure hydroxychloroquine. Damned scientists with their dammed scientific method and their damned facts! Why do facts hate Trump so much?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53546 on: October 16, 2020, 11:32:13 AM »

Folks at work behind the lines to sully PR on these important treatments?  Sad.

Fool denying science, while pretending it's about politics:

Normal.

Joe still hasn't explained what he means by "follow the science" - while Trump's talk of vaccine approval actually DOES follow science and thus should not be critiqued.

Were Trump to say, "this is bullshit - approve the damn thing already!" - there would be a case to be made against him.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53547 on: October 16, 2020, 11:32:38 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53548 on: October 16, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »

I would go with "Red thinks the only racism is against white people."

Joe had a gaffe tonight against whites
Ooooh a gaffe? What did he do? Praise an absolutely bonkers conspiracy theory that has as a core belief an anti-Semetic trope like the blood libel? THAT would be horrific. Unless you are Trump in which case it would be Thursday.

You missed it then?  When Biden said he would assemble a group of "blacks" and "browns" to talk about policing.....

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53549 on: October 16, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »

Tough questioning is so unfair, eh kiid?

Perfectly fair if Joe got the same treatment.
Pages: 1 ... 3568 3569 [3570] 3571 3572 ... 4288