Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3881 3882 [3883] 3884 3885 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608055 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #58230 on: November 26, 2020, 12:15:40 AM »

In theory, I don't like the ignore feature, because it's limiting and I'm sort of a completist.
But in practice it really aids skimming, and you get enough requoted Red posts anyway.
Everything is still there and accessible, but you're in charge of controlling and throttling.
I found it makes reading this forum a better experience.  And I have more on Ignore than you'd guess ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58231 on: November 26, 2020, 12:21:04 AM »

Find your bliss, Bo, if you are or aren’t ignoring this message.

This is older and more out of date than Larry’s work, but has detailed results, conclusions, and methodology that seems in a similar vein,

http://www.racialequitytools.org/resourcefiles/blackmenboysmediaperception.pdf
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #58232 on: November 26, 2020, 12:33:32 AM »

Just because a politician promulgates a health policy and then doesn't follow it on an occasion or two doesn't mean the policy or politician is wrong.  Nobody is expecting people to follow virus restrictions 100%.  At times we forget or are careless or willing to take (sometimes dumb) risks).  But the more people that follow sensible and well-crafted health guidelines, the fewer people get sick, hospitalized, die.  Just need to ride things out until the vaccines are widespread.  Probably til April or May.  One good thing, it's easier to mask in the colder weather.

I still would take the China approach any year.  All the hassle and inconvenience squashed into a 2 month quarantine.  Then a 2 month gradual reopening.  Then back to normal.  Since end of May the only restrictions I have faced is you have to wear a mask on the subway, bus, and to enter a hospital or other gov't building. 

Result: no virus, no sicknesses, no deaths since the initial outbreak.  Zero transmission until a vaccine is ready is a world better than some stumbling half-ass herd immunity, everybody-get-sick plan that killed a quarter of a million Americans.  And the economic harm and restrictions were largely confined to 2+ months.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #58234 on: November 26, 2020, 12:58:27 AM »

Hallelujah!

WASHINGTON—A 5-4 Supreme Court blocked New York from imposing strict limits on attending religious services to combat Covid-19. New Justice Amy Coney Barrett cast the pivotal vote to depart from past cases, which deferred to state authorities on public-health measures against the coronavirus.

First Amendment, baby,!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #58235 on: November 26, 2020, 01:09:49 AM »

Because I track a lot more of it than I enjoy, I’m fairly familiar with the content of network and cable television since the advent of the cable era. The bulk of its content, till now since the start of that period, both reflects and intensifies negative racial stereotypes about non-whites and positive ones about whites. This is especially true on tv and cable news and in reality shows. That this should grow and maintain racism in the audience is hardly surprising. Nor is it surprising that this should elevate the popularity of race based voter suppression in the audience while making the idea of full and open franchise less popular.

In other words, the findings Larry reports in his abstract track very well with both other research on the topic and simple common sense.

Utley is all over the place so I don’t try much to understand him, though on larger issues I tend to agree with him more than I disagree.

In this case, Utley griped about the depth and complexity of data in an abstract. It’s not shit you get into in an abstract. Unless he has the paper that accompanied the abstract, he has no idea about the depth or complexity of the research. He also pointed to the SC as being a major part of the suppression problem. It is. Larry agreed it is. The current composition of the SC is a symptom of the racism in the polity fed by the racist content view on their TVs. Utley’s linked article supports Larry’s conclusion more than it does anything else in this context. Utley was using it to try and change the focus from our racist selves, friends, and neighbors to the racist court. Top down v. Bottom up.

Unless we get a handle on Larry’s side of that equation, Utley’s will never change in any meaningful or lasting way.

Banks, you tend to be reasonable, funny, balanced, and intelligent on most things, until you pick food fights with Larry again and again and again.

Fac-you watch a lot of TV-congratulations that makes you an expert on, without seeing the specfic report or any of the supporting data, to check-off on knicks brief abstract and conclusions.

Got a question for you since you're an expert on TV-I watch a fair amount of TV, mostly cable news related and sports, but almost no network TV, but also get a lot of my information from the internet. How typical is my TV viewing and social media interactions, and how might it have changed from 2014 to 2020. How is  twitter and other social media which has experienced huge growth relative to reduced network viewing and cable cutting accounted for in knicks study on TV viewings impact of racial sterotyping and voter suppression.

knicks premise of voter suppression and racism and TV watching habits may be rock solid but there were some issues I picked up on in both his abstract and conclusion that were fair game for comments.

Heat-kitchen

Utley made a legit observation.

Fac-I don't pick fights with knicks, I probably agree with him on 80%-90% of what he posts. We are generally aligned, politically and on most social issues, but he's further left than I am. And he posts some stuff I disagree with and as this is a forum where ideas and opinions are currency, and I will spend freely.

And if "you" can't or won't suport your opinion, but rather tell someone to get lost, (or be callled a racist as I have been or at least two occassions) IMO thats a bullshit response. And when knicks told Utley to "look around" rather than defend his abstract with some evidence, that to me was a bullshit response, and i told him so with the  Jenna comment.

YMMV

happy motoring

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58236 on: November 26, 2020, 02:38:28 AM »

Hallelujah!

WASHINGTON—A 5-4 Supreme Court blocked New York from imposing strict limits on attending religious services to combat Covid-19. New Justice Amy Coney Barrett cast the pivotal vote to depart from past cases, which deferred to state authorities on public-health measures against the coronavirus.

First Amendment, baby,!

I wish you the greatest success in all your efforts to self-rapture. I just hope you associate with many more republicans than reasonable people who are actual boons to this society. Based on your conversation, I can’t see how good people would put up with you. I suspect you will mainly take republicans with you in your small sick compensation suicide.

Bon voyage!

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58237 on: November 26, 2020, 03:31:09 AM »

YMMV

happy motoring

I happily concur with your observation about the forum and it’s currency. Also, that the data presented on the topic here has been minimal and does raise questions, a couple of good ones you’ve just pointed out, and I admit that to reach the levels of hostility between you and Larry at peak at would take a significant (and unlikely) reconciliation and cooling off between myself and Kiid.

So, how diverse and siloed can a media ecosystem be and still have an aggregate message to its content? It there a point past which complexity becomes to great to analyze? Are we there yet?

Is it valid to hold or form opinions on topics for which does not have or cannot present exhaustive data?

Can scripted media create or strengthen opinions in its audience? Does it do that in the United States? Can it do so on issues like race or voting rights?

Without hard data to back it up, it seems to me that all media has a narrative ultimately set by its producers, cable is more siloed and more willing to risk divisive content than broadcast, and that web content is more siloed and divisive still. I welcome any evidence to the contrary.

Historically the ruling classes in the United States have promoted racial fear and resentment as a way to dilute and divert class anger and resentment in the face of glaring inequality between the rich and poor. The same ruling classes own and operate the vast bulk of both the media and the advertisers media organizations depend on. Getting the most pro-corporate interest candidates elected depends increasingly on suppressing minority votes.

Would it be surprising if, on aggregate, media content promoted images of minorities that implied they are more prone to make bad decisions and break rules more than whites?

Where that idea has taken root, does someone hearing that voter ID laws, voting roll purges, and limiting early and mail in voting suppresses minority turnout hear that as a feature or a bug? Does it make them more or less likely to support these policies?

Without the data to refer to (it would be nice to have all the data), how plausible does the premise sound?

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58238 on: November 26, 2020, 03:32:04 AM »

We got it wrong all this time!

The Zombie Apocalypse is minks.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6426378002
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58239 on: November 26, 2020, 03:37:12 AM »

We got it wrong all this time!

The Zombie Apocalypse is minks.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6426378002

It starts with Minks.

2020 can’t end soon enough.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58240 on: November 26, 2020, 03:40:52 AM »

The 1st Amendment is sacred.

It is not more sacred than the other amendments, however.

The reversal of a century of precedent is unfortunate, but unsurprising.

If only this ruling was not going to contribute to thousands more either dead or long term enfeebled because the religious leaders fail to understand their role in the spread of this disease, just as the religious leaders during the Black Plague failed their parishioners. The difference is that this time they have no excuse - it took effort for them to have the right to spread disease in the name of religious "freedom."

This is no triumph for the 1st Amendment or Freedom of Religion. Indeed, it may be the death knell of religious freedom, though a long term boon to states' rights.

I am sad at the short-sightedness of the institutions that sued for the right to kill, while unsurprised at the actions of the majority of SCOTUS.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58242 on: November 26, 2020, 03:56:47 AM »

The 1st Amendment is sacred.

It is not more sacred than the other amendments, however.

The reversal of a century of precedent is unfortunate, but unsurprising.

If only this ruling was not going to contribute to thousands more either dead or long term enfeebled because the religious leaders fail to understand their role in the spread of this disease, just as the religious leaders during the Black Plague failed their parishioners. The difference is that this time they have no excuse - it took effort for them to have the right to spread disease in the name of religious "freedom."

This is no triumph for the 1st Amendment or Freedom of Religion. Indeed, it may be the death knell of religious freedom, though a long term boon to states' rights.

I am sad at the short-sightedness of the institutions that sued for the right to kill, while unsurprised at the actions of the majority of SCOTUS.

Once more, with feeling, for the sake of our lives,

https://theintercept.com/2020/11/24/congress-override-supreme-court/

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58243 on: November 26, 2020, 04:01:38 AM »

Hallelujah!

I heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the Lord, but you don’t really care for music, do you?

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #58244 on: November 26, 2020, 04:02:21 AM »

In theory, I don't like the ignore feature, because it's limiting and I'm sort of a completist.
But in practice it really aids skimming, and you get enough requoted Red posts anyway.
Everything is still there and accessible, but you're in charge of controlling and throttling.
I found it makes reading this forum a better experience.  And I have more on Ignore than you'd guess ...

I put someone on ignore once in the NYT forums...then I couldn't read what they were writing. :)
Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 3881 3882 [3883] 3884 3885 ... 4288