Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3937 3938 [3939] 3940 3941 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583486 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #59070 on: December 04, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »

WSJ Editorial today: Mr. Trump is already sounding like he wants to run again in 2024, and his stolen-election claims sound like an opening bid for campaign donations. At least for now he can say, with justification, that he helped the GOP gain seats in the House and avoid a rout in the Senate. But that narrative changes for the worse if the GOP loses in Georgia after Mr. Trump divided his own party to serve his personal political interest. He needs a GOP Senate nearly as much as Mr. McConnell does

If?

Total failure by Trump in not assuring that this election wouldn't be run to the benefit of the other side (warnings were not enough).  Abrams kicked his ass.  Played the dirty game better than when she got robbed.  Got her revenge and then some.  I'd say avoiding a Senate rout will be seen as not good enough for DT.  But the next chapter to be written should be interesting.  Momentum is there for '22 and beyond.  Will grow as Dems light themselves on fire.

That's your takeaway? AS I SAID, "you're outta your league, here".
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #59071 on: December 04, 2020, 11:09:18 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #59072 on: December 04, 2020, 11:11:12 AM »

Norway under 400 confirmed cases of CV per day
Finland under 500 cases per day.
Norway 5000 cases / day.

Sweden with an infection rate 7x greater than Finland and 6x Norway.
Quite a success.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #59073 on: December 04, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/03/1500-stimulus-checks-for-covid-19-shots-how-one-plan-would-work.html

Millions of Americans are still hoping for a second round of stimulus checks to help them cope with the financial fallout of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Meanwhile, the U.S. government is preparing to distribute vaccinations to the American public in order to put an end to the public health crisis.

Now, one proposal aims to help both efforts by giving people $1,500 stimulus checks in exchange for getting immunized.

The idea comes from entrepreneur John Delaney, a former Democratic congressman for Maryland who also ran for president in 2020.

“The faster we get 75 percent of this country vaccinated, the faster we end Covid and the sooner everything returns to normal,” Delaney said in an interview with CNBC.com.

Americans will respond to cash incentives. Look how they jump up and down on the "Wheel of Fortune" or that "Family Feud".

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #59074 on: December 04, 2020, 11:14:36 AM »

Norway 5000 cases / day.

Quite a success.

This is useless information when compared to the US geography and the makeup of its society. But thanks for sharing. It'll make the likelihood of taking a Viking ocean cruise in the Baltic Sea more enticing for some.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #59075 on: December 04, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »

President-elect Joe Biden's margin over President Donald Trump in the nationwide popular vote is now more than 7 million votes and may continue to grow as several states continue counting votes.

Biden's lead over Trump is the second largest since 2000, and is about two and a half times larger than Hillary Clinton's popular vote lead over Trump in 2016.
As of Friday morning, Biden had won about 81.2 million votes, the most votes a candidate has won in US history, and Trump had won about 74.2 million. Trump's vote count makes him the second-highest vote earner in American history.
Despite Biden's decisive victory and the Trump administration starting the formal presidential transition process, the President has refused to concede the race and continues to make baseless claims about widespread voter fraud.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/politics/biden-popular-vote-margin-7-million/index.html

Trump is an exceptional Loser.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #59076 on: December 04, 2020, 11:20:48 AM »

What's that smell? Rudy?

https://www.businessinsider.com/rudy-giuliani-fart-on-camera-confirmed-by-michigan-state-representative-2020-12

The fart heard around the political universe from Rudy Giuliani this week was no deep fake, according to a Michigan lawmaker.

President Donald Trump's personal attorney went viral overnight Wednesday over a clip of him apparently passing gas during an election hearing. Later, a second video emerged showing a different fart.

barton

« Reply #59077 on: December 04, 2020, 11:26:30 AM »

Norway 5000 cases / day.

Quite a success.

This is useless information when compared to the US geography and the makeup of its society. But thanks for sharing. It'll make the likelihood of taking a Viking ocean cruise in the Baltic Sea more enticing for some.

He's comparing Sweden to other Scandic countries.  Making a point about the dubious efficacy of the "herd immunity" approach,  which Sweden has finally abandoned.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59078 on: December 04, 2020, 11:31:32 AM »

What changes do you think will happen... not using dominion machines? 

That would be a start.  But I think states will still have the right to run their balloting as they see fit (machines and all) - thus will have to decide on their own whether to continue.  Its costly to change of course.

In other words, Kid has nothing to say unless somebody else suggests a specific change, first.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #59079 on: December 04, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »

From 1979 WaPo story: Lamar Alexander was sworn in as governor of Tennessee tonight, three days before his scheduled inauguration, to prevent outgoing Gov. Ray Blanton from commuting the sentences of any more prisoners, he said.

The surprise swearing-in came as reports grew that a grand jury would investigate the pardons or commutations granted to 52 prisoners by Blanton Monday night.

Shortly before he took the oath of office, Alexander said, "I have been authorized by the lieutenant governor and the speaker of the House to make this statement:

"The U.S. attorney today advised each of us that he has substantial reason to believe that the governor of Tennessee was planning to release one or more persons from prison who are targets of an investigation of pay-offs for release from prison."

Alexander said he had been assured the early inauguration, apparently without precedent in Tennessee, is legal. The state attorney general's office had given an opinion earlier in the week that it was legal for Alexander to take office any time after Jan. 15.

Tenn. Governor Sworn In Early to Halt Clemencies
Lamar Alexander was sworn in as governor of Tennessee tonight, three days before his scheduled inauguration, to prevent outgoing Gov. Ray Blanton from commuting the sentences of any more prisoners, he said.

The surprise swearing-in came as reports grew that a grand jury would investigate the pardons or commutations granted to 52 prisoners by Blanton Monday night.

Shortly before he took the oath of office, Alexander said, "I have been authorized by the lieutenant governor and the speaker of the House to make this statement:

"The U.S. attorney today advised each of us that he has substantial reason to believe that the governor of Tennessee was planning to release one or more persons from prison who are targets of an investigation of pay-offs for release from prison."

Alexander said he had been assured the early inauguration, apparently without precedent in Tennessee, is legal. The state attorney general's office had given an opinion earlier in the week that it was legal for Alexander to take office any time after Jan. 15.

"These are not very happy days for the state of Tennessee," Alexander said, "and these are not very happy days for me."

Alexander said he was notified at 4 p.m. that the ceremony had been scheduled. It took place at 5:56 p.m.

State Attorney General William Leech said that five minutes before the ceremony, he called Blanton, who was at his private residence, and said, "'Governor, this is General Leech. I just wanted to call you myself and let you know that in a few minutes, Lamar Alexander will take the oath of office.'"

Leech said there was a pause. "I would not want to paraphrase what he said," Leech said. "He was hurt. He said he hated to go out of office like this. He said, 'I accept it and I acknowledge your message.'"

Blanton ordered commutations or pardons for 24 convicted murderers and 28 other prisoners, and by this evening 10 murderers and two armed robbers had been released.

Stop the irrational and reckless pardons of Trump? Can Biden be sworn in early?

On January 3, the Congress is sworn in and starts its term. On January 6, Congress counts electoral votes and certifies the winner. Why delay until January 20 to swear in Biden-Harris? 

Time to change the 20th Amendment?

Trump is proving that might be something that should be changed, just as Hoover proved it needed to be moved from March 4, when he tried to sabotage FDR's start because Roosevelt wouldn't go along with the angry Hoover's strategies for propping up the banks.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:35:12 AM by UNO »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59080 on: December 04, 2020, 11:34:43 AM »

Norway 5000 cases / day.

Quite a success.

I disagree.

It is illustrative of the differences in how things are handled and the results they get.

We have seen the same things from one state to another in the US, as well.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #59081 on: December 04, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »

Norway 5000 cases / day.

Quite a success.

He's comparing Sweden to other Scandic countries.  Making a point about the dubious efficacy of the "herd immunity" approach,  which Sweden has finally abandoned.

All fine, but becoming an irrelevant tale, given the emergence of the vaccines.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59082 on: December 04, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »

What's that smell? Rudy?

https://www.businessinsider.com/rudy-giuliani-fart-on-camera-confirmed-by-michigan-state-representative-2020-12

The fart heard around the political universe from Rudy Giuliani this week was no deep fake, according to a Michigan lawmaker.

President Donald Trump's personal attorney went viral overnight Wednesday over a clip of him apparently passing gas during an election hearing. Later, a second video emerged showing a different fart.

This information is more useful than the Scandinavian COVID-19 numbers, clearly.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #59083 on: December 04, 2020, 11:37:37 AM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59084 on: December 04, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »

What changes do you think will happen... not using dominion machines? 

That would be a start.  But I think states will still have the right to run their balloting as they see fit (machines and all) - thus will have to decide on their own whether to continue.  Its costly to change of course.
Why would anyone discontinue using Dominion? Just because Trump cannot take a beating? There have been zero - that is zero - credible claims of anything with Dominion, just unhinged fact free conspiracy theories. We want through all this with Diebold after 2004 and there was zero then either. Factless conspiracy theories do not guide public policy.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!
Pages: 1 ... 3937 3938 [3939] 3940 3941 ... 4288