Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3966 3967 [3968] 3969 3970 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005984 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #59505 on: December 08, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »

On the subject of the TX lawsuit, a friend wrote:

"Texas must be tired of Trump keeping all of the losing for himself."

Losing like this is fucking profitable. No way the grifters in the Texas death cult would miss out on a chance to break a piece off for them selves.

They are after Kiid’s nest egg, one and all. They hope he’s still feeling generous and aggrieved.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #59506 on: December 08, 2020, 03:31:29 PM »

"Vaccine not the answer.  Cant take a fire hose and put out a wildfire"

Pessimist.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #59507 on: December 08, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »

I don't even understand the TX argument -- when have local voting procedures ever favored Democrats?   There's a Kilimanjaro of evidence of Dem voter suppression.  And the GOP defense has always been,  hey,  if you really care about voting you'll jump all the hurdles.   Grease up the walker,  granny.   Pay your court fees,  Pedro.   Get in the ten block line,  LaVondra.   

Yeah,  this is pure psych warfare.   Cloaking it in faux legalisms is nauseating to wathc.

Its a fucking stunt to keep Droolling Donnie happy

And Fuck the Lone Star state who are they to determine election laws in other states, and as so rules by other courts.

Quite so.   Am sorta surprised the AG from a large diverse state would go this far off the rails.   I can see some state senator from Buggery County being that dumb,  but the AG?

You mean this guy?

http://www.texastribune.org/2020/10/05/texas-ken-paxton-bribery/

Total straight arrow.

It’s what passes for law in Texas which is why they have the republicans that they do. So far for them the crooking has been good.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59508 on: December 08, 2020, 03:35:41 PM »

I don't even understand the TX argument -- when have local voting procedures ever favored Democrats?   There's a Kilimanjaro of evidence of Dem voter suppression.  And the GOP defense has always been,  hey,  if you really care about voting you'll jump all the hurdles.   Grease up the walker,  granny.   Pay your court fees,  Pedro.   Get in the ten block line,  LaVondra.   

Yeah,  this is pure psych warfare.   Cloaking it in faux legalisms is nauseating to wathc.

Its a fucking stunt to keep Droolling Donnie happy

And Fuck the Lone Star state who are they to determine election laws in other states, and as so rules by other courts.

Quite so.   Am sorta surprised the AG from a large diverse state would go this far off the rails.   I can see some state senator from Buggery County being that dumb,  but the AG?
Steve Benen at the Maddow Blog thinks it is ploy to get pardon attention. I think it is sanctionable.
A parrot bit me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #59509 on: December 08, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »

Now the good:

"This is a moment in history.  Its not perfect, we have a lot of work to do.  We really should be proud of where science has brought us - it almost brings me to tears - I never thought we could see something like this - and the data is there - and its so promising"

AMEN

Happy Warp Speed Summit Day

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #59510 on: December 08, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »

Science should bring whoever said that in chains before a firing squad. I think Bill Barr just cleared the way for that under DOJ procedure.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59511 on: December 08, 2020, 03:50:50 PM »

"Vaccine not the answer.  Cant take a fire hose and put out a wildfire"

Pessimist.

Vaccine's not the answer for 4-8 more months, at best, because, as Joe put it, there is no federal vaccine distribution plan!

Kid's okay with 360,000-800,000 more deaths from the pandemic.

But hey, it will cut down on flu and whooping cough deaths by maybe 10k, total.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #59514 on: December 08, 2020, 04:00:31 PM »

heh

Well...I would really like Joe to do an even better job than Trump with re to COVID.  He has a nice head start.  And yes, a system is in place.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59515 on: December 08, 2020, 04:13:17 PM »

heh

Well...I would really like Joe to do an even better job than Trump with re to COVID.  He has a nice head start.  And yes, a system is in place.

Which explains why the number of doses going to be in place in the first shipment is low.

Got it.

"even better" than the spiraling up rate of deaths from mass murderer Trump won't be hard, despite Trump's efforts.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59516 on: December 08, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »

This is missing D-Day (2500+) and the 1918 pandemic's October, where enough died that likely several days would have made the count.

But it's also missing that last Thursday was probably around 3,100 dead according the IHME.

And you get the idea. There is a good chance that every one of those spots will be filled by COVID-19 except for #1 - I doubt Galveston will be exceeded, but certainly not pushed off the list, even if beaten. I pray.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59517 on: December 08, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »

And it just gets better

Texas Asks SCOTUS to Declare Election
in 4 Battleground States Unconstitutional

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed suit on Tuesday against Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, claiming the four states exploited the pandemic to justify ignoring election laws.

In papers filed with the U.S. Supreme Court, Paxton claimed the states unlawfully enacted last-minute changes, which skewed the results of the general election.

The papers also allege that the majority of the rushed decisions, made by local officials, were not approved by the state legislatures, thereby circumventing the Constitution.

Explain why attempting to disenfranchise American voters ala Venezuela dictators is "better".
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #59518 on: December 08, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »

Which explains why the number of doses going to be in place in the first shipment is low.

Jeez - stop relying on sound bites

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59519 on: December 08, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »

From the Texas Tribune: Paxton, who has been under indictment since 2015 for felony securities fraud charges, is facing fresh criminal allegations from eight of his top deputies, who said they believe he broke the law by using the agency to do favors for a political donor. The FBI is investigating Paxton over those claims, according to the Associated Press. Paxton has denied wrongdoing.

Notably, Paxton himself is listed as the agency's lead attorney on the case — a highly unusual role for the state official, who rarely plays a hands-on role even in the state's major cases. Paxton's new chief deputy, Brent Webster, signed onto the filing, but conspicuously absent is the agency's top lawyer for appellate work, Solicitor General Kyle Hawkins, who typically argues the state's cases before the Supreme Court and did so as recently as last month. None of Hawkins' deputies is listed as contributing to the case, nor are any of the agency's hundreds of other attorneys.

The agency instead appears to have hired an outside attorney, Lawrence Joseph, to contribute to the case.

Does one state even have standing to argue about how another state conducts its election?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 3966 3967 [3968] 3969 3970 ... 4288