Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4014 4015 [4016] 4017 4018 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1995275 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #60225 on: December 15, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »

Operation Warp Speed good news keeps a’comin.

The Food and Drug Ad­min­is­tra­tion said Tues­day that the Covid-19 vac­cine de­veloped by Mod­erna Inc. is “highly ef­fec­tive,” sug­gest­ing the vac­cine could soon be added to the ar­se­nal against the pan­demic.

A result of corporate innovation, not anything clever the federal government did.   A fact one would think a small government conservative would be only too happy to point out.  Here is your private sector solving our problem,  and yet you're not shouting that from the rooftops with a bullhorn.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #60226 on: December 15, 2020, 10:31:54 AM »

Well, I use a Japanese or Korean proxy server to access most international news sites, so maybe that's why the cookie dump worked for me.
An odd side effect, I get weird adds from those countries, which is amusing and unreadable for me.  Also, occasionally a youtube link will say that I have to verify my age by providing a Korean cell phone number.  So I just use such a link when I have a different, usually Japanese IP address via the proxy.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #60227 on: December 15, 2020, 10:41:03 AM »

So Red apparently thinks racism isn't much of a problem/issue in the US and needs proof otherwise.  Figures.

I'm sure he won't be pinned down, but it's be interesting to see how he rates it as an issue.  A large problem, small problem, a hoax created by the Left to play the race card?  But really who cares, he's awfulness personified.

Otherwise I like how Red & Kiid want to give Trump credit for the vaccine (with zero explanation of what was done or how it helped), but think Trump shouldn't get blame for the THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND dead Americans and the millions who got sick, some of whom probably thought they were going to die, and some % will have long-term chronic illness from the virus.

If Trump deserves credit for the vaccine, I'd like some details on how and why.
Blame?  More deaths and cases in the US than any other country.  How did that happen?  A lot of it comes back to Trump and his politicization of a health emergency, refusal to wear a mask or encourage supporters to do so, total abdication of the federal gov't, failure to put nay national testing/tracing plan into effect.  A failure so huge, Trump couldn't even protect himself, his family, his work place, the country.  F-
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #60228 on: December 15, 2020, 10:50:26 AM »

Moderna was part of Operation Star Trek.
Pfizer wasn't.
All I can conclude is that Trump Admin involvement set things back a week.

Seriously they were both developed and tested within the same time frame.  Astra-Z coming right behind them.  Chinese and Russian vaccines seem next in line.
How does Trump get credit for any of that?
Answer: it's just more Trump self-promotion BS and Trump believers parrot the right wing line.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60229 on: December 15, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »

Quote from: LarryBnDC link=topic=55.msg15856
I only have one more Atlantic read until subscribe in January. I’m unwilling to do that so you should excerpt the relevant points, print them out and eat them.

Simply delete all cookies for The Atlantic on your browser and you're back in business.

The Atlantic logs your IP address.   They figured out that people were doing the cookie dump.   We are subscribers now.  (if you move around between coffee shops all day,  or similar, your method still works I guess) The NYT also got wise to cookie dump.

And they exclude the IP-blocker systems.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
Let me know when Trump gets this guy his foot and leg back ...
« Reply #60230 on: December 15, 2020, 11:24:49 AM »

Crede Bailey, the director of the White House security office, was the most severely ill among dozens of Covid-19 cases known to be connected to the White House. ... fell ill with Covid-19 in September is recovering after three months in the hospital,  he lost his right foot and lower leg in his battle against the virus

I'd be interested in the number of CV cases who went to the ICU.
And the # who have permanent disabilities/chronic health damage form the virus.
Death tolls are just one extreme measure.
The human toll has been catastrophic.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Let me know when Trump gets this guy his foot and leg back ...
« Reply #60231 on: December 15, 2020, 11:47:39 AM »

Crede Bailey, the director of the White House security office, was the most severely ill among dozens of Covid-19 cases known to be connected to the White House. ... fell ill with Covid-19 in September is recovering after three months in the hospital,  he lost his right foot and lower leg in his battle against the virus

I'd be interested in the number of CV cases who went to the ICU.
And the # who have permanent disabilities/chronic health damage form the virus.
Death tolls are just one extreme measure.
The human toll has been catastrophic.

A White House official who fell ill with Covid-19 in September is recovering after three months in the hospital, though he lost his right foot and lower leg in his battle against the virus, according to a friend.

.Bailey’s friends have raised more than $30,000 for his rehabilitation through a GoFundMe account. The White House declined to say whether Trump has contributed to the effort.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-14/white-house-official-recovers-from-severe-covid-19-friend-says
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #60232 on: December 15, 2020, 11:51:21 AM »

Operation Warp Speed contributed  $10 billion so drug companies could speed up their usual processes to create new vaccines and manufacture them at commercial scale.

You must be a PBS viewer to have missed that.

Until Trump the fastest a vaccine was ever developed was four years. Back in May when OWS was launched Trump pledged to have a vaccine ready by the end of 2020.

This week people started getting first doses.
What’s the Calendar say?

Anthony Fauci:
Operation Warp Speed is beyond historic. It’s a total revolution, producing vaccines more quickly than anyone had thought possible.

Formerv FDA chief scientist Jesse Goodman — a frequent critic of the Trump administration’s coronavirus policies — lauded its efforts on vaccines.

This is a bright spot in the pandemic response.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60233 on: December 15, 2020, 11:58:11 AM »

Operation Warp Speed contributed  $10 billion so drug companies could speed up their usual processes to create new vaccines and manufacture them at commercial scale.

You must be a PBS viewer to have missed that.

Until Trump the fastest a vaccine was ever developed was four years. Back in May when OWS was launched Trump pledged to have a vaccine ready by the end of 2020.

This week people started getting first doses.
What’s the Calendar say?

Anthony Fauci:
Operation Warp Speed is beyond historic. It’s a total revolution, producing vaccines more quickly than anyone had thought possible.

Formerv FDA chief scientist Jesse Goodman — a frequent critic of the Trump administration’s coronavirus policies — lauded its efforts on vaccines.

This is a bright spot in the pandemic response.

“Always look on the bright side of 300,000 dead and rising!”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60234 on: December 15, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »

Three claps for William Barr, classy in exit

On Trump:

“Your 2016 victory speech in which you reached out to your opponents and called for working together for the benefit of the American people was immediately met by a partisan onslaught against you in which no tactic, no matter how abusive and deceitful, was out of bounds,” Barr wrote.

“The nadir of this campaign was the effort to cripple, if not oust, your Administration with frenzied and baseless accusations of collusion with Russia,” Barr continued. “Few have weathered these attacks, much less forge ahead with a positive program for the country

Better do a throat culture on AG Barr and check for chlamydia.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60235 on: December 15, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Too funny for words, his inability to grasp reality and his need to grasp at made-up stories.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #60236 on: December 15, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »

I think to be fair, Trump deserves credit for greenlighting Operation Warp Speed. Although at the time he thought it was a pilot for a new FX sci-fi TV series about s President who could time travel into the future to escape his past.

That it sped up vaccine production with a huge gov't cash infusion, less regulation than usual and govt guaranteed purchased all helped speed the process along.

Although the caveat remains, Donald Trump is not the guy you want running the show with less regulation and oversight.

and it should be remembered at the time, Trump did not reccomend the wearing of masks, scoffed at social distancing, promoted huge super-spreaders that killled people. He also gave assurances to dangerous medicines with limited value he had heard promoted by doctors of dubious merit.

Then there was Trump wondering aloud about ingesting bleach to kill the disease. And anyone who saw that press-conf, knew he was serious.

Trump is still bugging Fox to work on the original Warp Speed premise and get him to 2024 pronto.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:36:34 PM by bankshot1 »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #60237 on: December 15, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »

Operation Warp Speed contributed $10 billion so drug companies could speed up their usual processes to create new vaccines and manufacture them at commercial scale.

Contributed.  Could speed up.
Rather vague stuff ya got.

Drug companies had plenty of money and incentive (7B potential customers) to make a vaccine as fast as possible.
Pfizer didn't use Warp Speed.  Neither did A-Z.

So your just pushing PR, not anything factual.

That the vaccine was created so fast was impressive, but the science existed and the pandemic brought urgency.  How this was anything to do with trump as opposed to Pfizer and A-Z on their own making a vaccine quickly, and Moderna doing the same with some gov't funds.  Un-impress-ive.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #60238 on: December 15, 2020, 01:44:57 PM »

From what I understand, Dolly Parton gets credit for the Moderna vaccine, she donated one million dollars to Vanderbilt University to be used for corona virus research and the money resulted in the new Moderna vaccine. And for people who do not trust the new vaccines, a lot of folks will trust Dolly Parton and Vanderbilt University. So, a lot of people who might not trust other vaccines might trust the Moderna vaccine because they trust Dolly, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60239 on: December 15, 2020, 01:48:15 PM »

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2020/12/15/the_biggest_junk_science_of_2020_652095.html

COVID-19's rapid spread affected everything, including junk science, says this article.
Pages: 1 ... 4014 4015 [4016] 4017 4018 ... 4288