Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4021 4022 [4023] 4024 4025 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1996174 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #60330 on: December 16, 2020, 03:41:21 PM »

About that so-called audit in Michigan:

Facts First: Trump's characterizations of the report are false and misleading. The report, which was released to the public Monday, claimed Antrim County, not the state's voting machines as a whole, had an error rate of approximately 68%. Both Trump and the report are unclear as to what this supposed error rate actually encompasses but Michigan officials and elections experts, including federal employees in the Trump administration, have found no evidence supporting the report's claims.

The author of the report has a history of spreading misinformation about the election in Michigan. In an affidavit for a separate court case, he mistook voting precincts in Minnesota for ones in Michigan and provided inaccurate totals of Michigan voter turnouts, which contributed to the false "more votes than people" theory of fraud previously touted by the President and his allies.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #60331 on: December 16, 2020, 03:56:12 PM »

John Bolton goes to bat for Western Sahara in a longish piece.
Calls on Biden to reverse Trump's hasty new policy.

Morocco was happy to sell out the Palestinians in exchange for the US selling out another stateless people (Sahrawis).  I guess one thing Morocco and Israel can talk about at future diplomatic functions is how to trample on stateless people and interminably stall a peace process for decades.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60332 on: December 16, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »

Morocco was happy to sell out the Palestinians in exchange for the US selling out another stateless people (Sahrawis).  I guess one thing Morocco and Israel can talk about at future diplomatic functions is how to trample on stateless people and interminably stall a peace process for decades.

I've been talking about all the flack Israel gets, while in most of the US, Morocco gets a pass, despite many of the identical issues existing there, granted not all.

So, I guess Trump's position is hardly surprising.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #60333 on: December 16, 2020, 04:05:23 PM »

News Item

The San Francisco Unified School District has decided to rename an elementary school named after California democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein.

Feinstein Elementary is just one  of 44 schools that will be renamed because the district deemed their namesakes "inappropriate" in October.

What did Feinstein do to incur the wrath of the District?

36 years ago when she was Mayor  she ordered the raising of  a Confederate flag in front of San Francisco City Hall.  The flag was a replacement for one that had been destroyed by protesters.

Common_Squirrel
Ah yes, the squirrel.
Barton’s white flag signifying he has no intelligent counterpoint?

I don't know, what's the intelligent counterpoint to a decades-old story, stripped of context and linking documentation, and lacking in relevance to this thread? 

Ask the school district.  It appears to be as bigoted as you so
expect them to punt like you.

Please allow me to pop a jaunty little bonnet on your trolling and ram it up your shitter with a lubricated horse-cock!

Nowhere did I say I supported the long-ago decision of Feinstein, or supported venerating her with an elementary school name.   My point was that none of this seems relevant to party politics in general or (forum topic) the Trump administration. 

AFAICT it's relevant only to your eternal obsession with women in the Democratic Party.
Please allow me to pop a jaunty little bonnet...etc.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60334 on: December 16, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »

I've been talking about all the flack Israel gets, while in most of the US, Morocco gets a pass, despite many of the identical issues existing there, granted not all.

So, I guess Trump's position is hardly surprising.

Morocco doesn’t get the ink.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60335 on: December 16, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »

News Item

The San Francisco Unified School District has decided to rename an elementary school named after California democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein.

Feinstein Elementary is just one  of 44 schools that will be renamed because the district deemed their namesakes "inappropriate" in October.

36 years ago when she was Mayor  she ordered the raising of  a Confederate flag in front of San Francisco City Hall.  The flag was a replacement for one that had been destroyed by protesters.

Common_Squirrel
Ah yes, the squirrel.

I don't know, what's the intelligent counterpoint to a decades-old story, stripped of context and linking documentation, and lacking in relevance to this thread? 

Please allow me to pop a jaunty little bonnet on your trolling and ram it up your shitter with a lubricated horse-cock!

Nowhere did I say I supported the long-ago decision of Feinstein, or supported venerating her with an elementary school name.   My point was that none of this seems relevant to party politics in general or (forum topic) the Trump administration. 

AFAICT it's relevant only to your eternal obsession with women in the Democratic Party.

Skip the lube...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60336 on: December 16, 2020, 04:27:49 PM »

I think the "not this forum" argument isn't a winner - I know that I use this as the dumping ground for tons of non-Trump admin material.

The current school action has relevance, given what else is going on with name changes (Johns Hopkins is unlikely to change theirs, but they are (finally) being honest about their founder. The Cleveland not football Team is dealing with their name, sort of. Etc.)

And I think every city has the right to reconsider things upon either new items coming to light or old ones being viewed in a different light..

But more than anything, it reminds me why naming things after living people is such a risky proposition! Hard enough to get a clear picture of dead people...

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #60337 on: December 16, 2020, 04:43:24 PM »

Welp...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/16/trump-appointee-demanded-herd-immunity-strategy-446408

According to the APM Research Lab, as of mid-September, “1 in 1,020 Black Americans has died (or 97.9 deaths per 100,000).” More than 200,000 Americans are confirmed dead from Covid-19, and a disproportionate number of them are Black.

https://www.apmresearchlab.org/covid/deaths-by-race

Do a disproportiante have comorbidit(ies)?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60339 on: December 16, 2020, 05:07:48 PM »

Welp...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/16/trump-appointee-demanded-herd-immunity-strategy-446408

According to the APM Research Lab, as of mid-September, “1 in 1,020 Black Americans has died (or 97.9 deaths per 100,000).” More than 200,000 Americans are confirmed dead from Covid-19, and a disproportionate number of them are Black.

Do a disproportiante have comorbidit(ies)?

Yes. Did you read the report?

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60340 on: December 16, 2020, 05:09:32 PM »

Welp...

Do a disproportinate number have comorbidit(ies)?

And if so, is it as great a gap as deaths from COVID-19?

Yes, to the first.

No, to the second.

You could look it up.

(With apologies to James Thurber.)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #60341 on: December 16, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »

Possible there are more actual comorbidities than thought.

If you are speculating on improper/an imbalance in treatment - then YOU need to come with more info.  Just the numbers arent enough.  What isnt being done for these folks that should?

Thanks.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #60342 on: December 16, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »

:P
“What’s not legitimate is to overrule science,” he said.

Often, Mr. McGowan and Ms. Campbell mediated between Dr. Redfield and agency scientists when the White House’s requests and dictates would arrive: edits from Mr. Vought and Kellyanne Conway, the former White House adviser, on choirs and communion in faith communities, or suggestions from Ivanka Trump, the president’s daughter and aide, on schools.

Trump trashed a lot of gov't agencies -- CDC, EPA, Census Bureau, Post Office, etc. -- I hope there will be some accounting of the damage done.
What damage was done?

barton

« Reply #60343 on: December 16, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »

I think the "not this forum" argument isn't a winner - I know that I use this as the dumping ground for tons of non-Trump admin material.

The current school action has relevance, given what else is going on with name changes (Johns Hopkins is unlikely to change theirs, but they are (finally) being honest about their founder. The Cleveland not football Team is dealing with their name, sort of. Etc.)

And I think every city has the right to reconsider things upon either new items coming to light or old ones being viewed in a different light..

But more than anything, it reminds me why naming things after living people is such a risky proposition! Hard enough to get a clear picture of dead people...

Red could have pointed out the relevance, as you did,  but instead established neither relevance nor context,  opting to troll ("bigot") instead.   So I opted not to take him seriously.   I agree on naming things after living people as risky.   Turned out okay in the town I spent most of teen years,  where an elementary was named for Dick Cavett's mother,  who was a prominent local educator there.   She managed to uphold her good name during her later years.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #60344 on: December 16, 2020, 05:37:20 PM »

News Item

Common_Squirrel
Ah yes, the squirrel.

Hope your rant makes you feel better. If you had no interest in the subject why did you post a picture of a squirrel?  The discussion in the room is not dictated by anyone ,least of all by you.
But the best way to continue the topic is with a response.
Let that sink in.
Pages: 1 ... 4021 4022 [4023] 4024 4025 ... 4288