Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4054 4055 [4056] 4057 4058 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998808 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #60825 on: December 22, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »

Are you only a constitutionalist when its convenient?
I have no idea what this means.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #60826 on: December 22, 2020, 01:44:08 PM »

$600 is better than nothing for some.

$0.25 is not.

The stim check should go towards those unemployed or with businesses failing.  I.e. it should be relief,  not stim.  I don't need $600.
But  the family down the street whose kids can’t go to school and the father can’t get work gets $2400, enough to bide him over till  Biden  who , as we all hear, will make us all whole again!

Yes, that part is good.  If you read my post, you might glean this:

I just want the $600 that goes to people like me and the spouse, who actually have MORE disposable income at the moment due to covid restrictions, and wouldn't need it any case, to go to the people who are facing hunger, eviction, longterm work hiatus or loss, family business collapse, medical bills, etc.   
Nothing stopping you from passing it on.  It is tax free.
Charity begins at home.

HENCE THE LINE IN MY ORIGINAL POST ON THE MATTER INDICATING I WAS SENDING THE MONEY TO THE LOCAL FOOD BANK.

THE NUANCE OF MY OPINION, WHICH HAS ESCAPED AT LEAST TWO MEMBERS HERE, IS ASKING:

WHY SEND IT TO ME IN THE FIRST PLACE??  WHY NOT, RATHER, DO SOMETHING LIKE ADD TO RENTAL ASSISTANCE PAYMENTS OR SEND THE MONEY TO STATES THAT ARE BROKE AND HAVE HIGH COSTS OF LIVING SUCH THAT THE RELIEF UNEMPLOYMENT PAYMENTS ARE NOT SUFFICIENT.  OR HELP CITIES THAT MAY HAVE TO SHUT DOWN BASIC SERVICES LIKE MASS TRANSIT LINES?  USE YOU IMAGINATION.  I.  DON'T.  NEED. THE. MONEY.  ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE DO.

THERE.  CLEAR ENOUGH?
Yelling doesn’t do very much for your caterwauling since the $ 9 billion is already providing for what you are screaming about.
$280B extends the Paycheck Protection Program, which pays small businesses to keep people employed.
$160 is the direct payment of six hundred dollars to each American, with an earnings cap of seventy-five thousand dollars for individuals and a hundred and fifty thousand dollars for two-income families.
$120B will go to extend and expand unemployment benefits, including those that the CARES Act provided to gig workers in March. This time, though, the extra weekly payment is three hundred dollars instead of six hundred.

The rest:
$82B will be directed at efforts to reopen schools;
$45B forty-five billion will go to the stricken transportation sector,
$29B to distributing vaccines
$$29B to  testing and tracing.
$65 B for nutrition, rental assistance, and child care for needy families.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:48:53 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60827 on: December 22, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »

:Some people might only be able to pay 25 cents as a tip.
Guy might have raided his piggy bank to take a girl to dinner, for a meal he really could not afford.
25 cents can be a lot of money if one is broke.

If you can’t afford to tip you can’t afford to eat out.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60828 on: December 22, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »

Donald Trump probably fulfilled more promises than any other man to sit in the Oval Office. And in four years, no less.

After his presidency, Trump will also become an unequalled global political and media force.

Trump will be surprised how much influence he has as a former President, without the limitations placed on being the actual President.

My late friend Ed Koch was seriously depressed after leaving New York's mayoralty. He later admitted to me that he became more influential outside of office as a media and political powerhouse.

Trump will do the same, but much more.

John Fund's recent column on Trump's successful presidency quotes David Shribman, a historian at Carnegie Mellon University, who thinks Trump will be "remembered in history as the most consequential president in three-quarters of a century and the most significant one-term president in nearly 175 years."

It's a good judgement for Fred Trump's son, a winner in every sense of the word

Well stated.

Ed Koch wasn’t prosecuted after leaving office...

Trump is done but Trumpism will remain because “wypipo.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60829 on: December 22, 2020, 01:55:27 PM »

Ellis said pursuing alleged election fraud should not supersede the Constitution.

"We have to still make sure that even though we see that our country has been undermined by corruption, our solution can't be to undermine the Constitution ourselves," Ellis said.

"We have to go through the process, we have to hold our leaders accountable. And at the end of the day, if we don't get a correction, in this case, we have to fight to make sure that this never happens again."

Well stated.

If only she could see the corruption for what it is.

Deliberately disenfranchising voters for partisan gain is election fraud. Republicans achieved election fraud to the tune of about 5 million votes nation wide this cycle. That’s why they did so well. We have to fight to make sure this never happens again.

Ellis is getting legally called to the carpet for filing frivolous lawsuits.

The new senator from CA was excellent on this topic as Secretary of State and as a rep for San Fernando.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #60830 on: December 22, 2020, 01:58:17 PM »

WHY SEND IT TO ME IN THE FIRST PLACE??  WHY NOT, RATHER, DO SOMETHING LIKE ADD TO RENTAL ASSISTANCE PAYMENTS OR SEND THE MONEY TO STATES THAT ARE BROKE AND HAVE HIGH COSTS OF LIVING SUCH THAT THE RELIEF UNEMPLOYMENT PAYMENTS ARE NOT SUFFICIENT.  OR HELP CITIES THAT MAY HAVE TO SHUT DOWN BASIC SERVICES LIKE MASS TRANSIT LINES?  USE YOU IMAGINATION.  I.  DON'T.  NEED. THE. MONEY.  ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE DO.

THERE.  CLEAR ENOUGH?

The answer is that the current incarnation of the GOP exists only to destroy America for fun and profit. It’s the popular refuge for people who can’t stand themselves.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60832 on: December 22, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »

Donald Trump probably fulfilled more promises than any other man to sit in the Oval Office. And in four years, no less.

Well stated.

Lies.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #60834 on: December 22, 2020, 02:05:48 PM »

Donald Trump probably fulfilled more promises to adversary autocrats including MBS and Putin  than any other man to sit in the Oval Office. And in four years, no less.

Well stated.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60835 on: December 22, 2020, 02:37:22 PM »

Ellis said pursuing alleged election fraud should not supersede the Constitution.

"We have to still make sure that even though we see that our country has been undermined by corruption, our solution can't be to undermine the Constitution ourselves," Ellis said.

"We have to go through the process, we have to hold our leaders accountable. And at the end of the day, if we don't get a correction, in this case, we have to fight to make sure that this never happens again."

Well stated.
Yeah, well according to every court, responsible federal and state government official, and everyone with any knowledge (outside of a small group of p9litical misfits and conspiracy quacks centered on an emotionally stunted sore loser president), is a fair, honest election untainted by fraud or interference foreign or domestic, which resulted in a Democrat being elected. I am sure I can guess what part of that Ellis, and you, wants to make sure never happens again.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #60836 on: December 22, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »

I think her aim is to be commended.  Despite what any may think of her politics or who she works for.

Thanks for answering.  And at least you were respectful enough not to call her a heifer or something of that sort (you are more matHure than some here - congrats)
Her aim is nothing short of a coup, and a brazen attempt to delegitimize a fair and legitimate election. She should be condemned and ridiculed, not commended. Clown is too nice a word. Traitor to democracy is more likee it.
A parrot bit me.

barton

« Reply #60837 on: December 22, 2020, 02:53:33 PM »

$0.25 is not.

The stim check should go towards those unemployed or with businesses failing.  I.e. it should be relief,  not stim.  I don't need $600.
But  the family down the street whose kids can’t go to school and the father can’t get work gets $2400, enough to bide him over till  Biden  who , as we all hear, will make us all whole again!

I just want the $600 that goes to people like me and the spouse, who actually have MORE disposable income at the moment due to covid restrictions, and wouldn't need it any case, to go to the people who are facing hunger, eviction, longterm work hiatus or loss, family business collapse, medical bills, etc.   
Charity begins at home.

HENCE THE LINE IN MY ORIGINAL POST ON THE MATTER INDICATING I WAS SENDING THE MONEY TO THE LOCAL FOOD BANK.

THE NUANCE OF MY OPINION, WHICH HAS ESCAPED AT LEAST TWO MEMBERS HERE, IS ASKING:

THERE.  CLEAR ENOUGH?
Yelling doesn’t do very much for your caterwauling since the $ 9 billion is already providing for what you are screaming about.
$280B extends the Paycheck Protection Program, which pays small businesses to keep people employed.
$160 is the direct payment of six hundred dollars to each American, with an earnings cap of seventy-five thousand dollars for individuals and a hundred and fifty thousand dollars for two-income families.
$120B will go to extend and expand unemployment benefits, including those that the CARES Act provided to gig workers in March. This time, though, the extra weekly payment is three hundred dollars instead of six hundred.

The rest:

Hope this helps.

Thanks,  but I already  know that.  If you have any reading skills left,  you would see that I was making the point that the 160 billion in direct "stimulus payments" would more effectively be added into those other relief categories,  bolstering Unemployment benefits (like the weekly payments) and other form of assistance.   Several economists have made this observation,  which only asks you to understand the distinction between stimulus and relief.   Which I already explained.   Twice.   Try to read my words with the objective of understanding the overall point, and you will grasp how this works to help those in greater need. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #60838 on: December 22, 2020, 02:55:51 PM »

$0.25 is not.

Charity begins at home.

THERE.  CLEAR ENOUGH?

The rest:

Hope this helps.
In other words, the answer to your question is "No".

Like you I do not need the stimulus check. It is mistimed. The time to stimulate the economy will be in 6 months, maybe, when there is a functioning economy to spend money in. Not now.

I will be donating my stimulus check to the local Indian tribes.
A parrot bit me.

barton

« Reply #60839 on: December 22, 2020, 02:58:01 PM »

I think her aim is to be commended.  Despite what any may think of her politics or who she works for.

Thanks for answering.  And at least you were respectful enough not to call her a heifer or something of that sort (you are more mature than some here - congrats)
Her aim is nothing short of a coup, and a brazen attempt to delegitimize a fair and legitimate election. She should be condemned and ridiculed, not commended. Clown is too nice a word. Traitor to democracy is more like it.
Pages: 1 ... 4054 4055 [4056] 4057 4058 ... 4288