Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4211 4212 [4213] 4214 4215 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583622 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #63180 on: January 15, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »

Will have to read the whole article to see if that holds water for me.  I was thinking Biden might turn out fairly centrist.  If that's not the case, then his admin will be more interesting than I'd expected.

It will be good if the xenophobes (I prefer this term to "white people" btw) can clear their heads and see that no one in the administration will be out to defund the police.  False slogans are harder to rinse off than true ones.

"Xenophobes" aren't trying to invalidate millions of votes from foreigners.

White supremacists are trying to disenfranchise millions of black voters.

period.

I could be misreading but I think Can is using xenophobe broadly to include domestic racism.   White supremacy is also,  at its heart,  coming from fear of the "other. "  So I would see xenophobes as a good blanket term.  I do thank you for saying "white supremacists" rather than "white people."  As one of millions who marched this summer with BLM, I would not like to be categorized.   

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #63181 on: January 15, 2021, 03:52:03 PM »

Hey, Bambu, “Christian Identity” is a specific, racist, White Supremacist movement/theology that actually has little to do with Christianity. Do some research before playing the victim card.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #63182 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:25 PM »

Pelosi basically said of the 2016 election: "We was robbed".
Trump basically said of the 2020 election: "We was robbed".

it's the same.

Congratulations! The stupid people of the world have elected you to be their spokesperson.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63183 on: January 15, 2021, 04:05:07 PM »

I looked up "white supremacist".

Why not just look in the mirror.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

barton

« Reply #63184 on: January 15, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »

Generally I prefer stimulus and then relief, but different strokes for different folks and this is a family friendly forum.

Surely you jest.   Unless "family friendly" means daily references to buggering, oral sex, coprophagia, grisly execution,  bestiality,  and an F-bombs per hour ratio on a par with Goodfellas or The Wolf of Wall Street.  In that case, welcome Billy and Susie and any other little shits lurking around!   And welcome Mom,  ya daft cunt!   

barton

« Reply #63185 on: January 15, 2021, 04:13:30 PM »

People starving in Kansas etc will probably think the 1400 is a great idea.

And expanding SNAP* benefits an even better idea.   

* formerly known as food stamps

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #63186 on: January 15, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »

Someone needs to do some research to find out who the current studio bosses are, and we need to get a little info on the types of films they are making, etc. We need to know more about the studio bosses. People magazine or someone needs to do an article about who the current studio bosses are. 

I did a Google search to find out about the current studio bosses, and only one page came up, and it would not open. People, or Time, or the New York Times, or someone, needs to do an article about who are current studio bosses are, I want to know their names, and I want to know about the films that they are making, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

No one needs to "do an article" just because you give up so easily.

Go to google. Put in the company's name and the term "studio CEO" or something similar, and you'll find things like this:

Bob Chapek
The Walt Disney Company/CEO

Ann Sarnoff, the chairman and CEO of Warner Bros. Entertainment.

Try not to be such a lazy ass, and do your own work, Tony.

You're long on ideas, and short on effort. Change that formula, and you might be successful, some day.

People make a living writing articles, it does not hurt to give them ideas on stuff to write about.

On the issue of the current studio environment...

I realize that the current filmmaking environment has changed, and that production companies have more power, while the studios just do marketing and distribution, and rent out lot space and movie making equipment, or whatever, the writer of the article can do research about this aspect too, about how the filmmaking process has changed since the Golden Age of the studio films. There is still Universal Pictures and stuff, so the studios are still making films, but there are newer production companies which make a lot of the films too. You open a production office at a studio and make your film, and then the studio does marketing and distribution, or you make a mini series for Netflix, or whatever. The person who writes the article can talk about the changes that have happened in Hollywood.

Salute,

Tony V.

I am a great writer, and I could write a great article about the studio bosses, but I would want to get paid money to do it. I would love to write for People magazine, or for Entertainment Weekly magazine, or for any good magazine, and I would love to get paid money to do it. I know some people who do that, they write from home and they get paid money to do it. I could write a wonderful article, but I would want to get paid to write it. So, meanwhile, I can send ideas to the people who are getting paid to write.

And I did write my own poetry book which I have a copyright for, and I have my movie script. But, I want to turn them into money, I need the money as seed money to get started on, I can open a night club in Rome, and I can buy a vineyard in Tuscany, etc, and I can make movies, and I have some ideas for a couple of television shows that I could develop and sell or produce. I have stuff that is concrete, complete with copyrights.

I would love to write and get paid for it, but if I am not going to make any money then I can still send ideas to the people who do get paid to write.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63187 on: January 15, 2021, 04:35:32 PM »

1400 + 600 = 2000.  That's the total, as he said it would be.  His plan was never for $2600 stimulus payments, which is what you, a conservative, are proposing.  As Spock would say, "Faaascinating." 

No worries, I'm sure you'll turn into a fiscal conservative again, come Jan. 20th.  Hang in there.
Stimulus?
The Biden plan is a RELIEF plan that you argued against when it was only $600 back in December.
I note you have no trouble in adding $1400 for more relief you won’t need( at least  you said in December that you and wifey were fine with getting nothing)

Plan is both.   1400 is stimulus part,  and I still don't see it as necessary right now,  and still see rent relief,  food relief,  Main St.  relief, childcare,  as what needs targeting right now.  The relief parts of Joe's plan make sense.   And I am still passing my checks along to those who need it.   Stop trying to score and instead hear the  points people actually make.

Red is still trying to score for the first time in his life. If he quits now, he goes to his grave having never ever scored at all. Something tells me Red is not ready to quit his futile efforts and join the human race quite yet.

Starting with the basic and incredibly popular initiatives, as Biden has proposed, while working on appointments, regulations, and directives within the executive branch is a great approach. It builds good will, gives time for investigations of both republican crimes and the actual state of federal agencies. This creates a much better environment for healthcare and law enforcement reforms while  republicans weaken themselves further dealing with the dilemma of a disgraced and omnipresent ex president approved of by less than 30% of the country but worshiped irrationally by 70% of rump republican deadenders.

It’s looking like immigration and climate change will be addressed before healthcare and law enforcement, possibly because the lobbies against them are so much weaker and less effective in the present climate.

Expanding SNAP is an excellent idea, and falls squarely within reconciliation. No one should ask for a single republican opinion on this. It is one of many areas where none of their ideas matter at all.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #63188 on: January 15, 2021, 04:37:06 PM »

Generally I prefer stimulus and then relief, but different strokes for different folks and this is a family friendly forum.

Surely you jest.   Unless "family friendly" means daily references to buggering, oral sex, coprophagia, grisly execution,  bestiality,  and an F-bombs per hour ratio on a par with Goodfellas or The Wolf of Wall Street.  In that case, welcome Billy and Susie and any other little shits lurking around!   And welcome Mom,  ya daft cunt!

Perhaps a little Bart. Just trying to keep it somewhat light, as America fights covid, a faltering economy, and fascist traitors who want to overthrow the government.

Although this is a Trump forum so perhaps the topics you bring up might reflect Trump family values. So welcome Jr, Ivanka, Eric, Tiffany, and Barron.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #63189 on: January 15, 2021, 04:42:32 PM »

1400 + 600 = 2000.  That's the total, as he said it would be.  His plan was never for $2600 stimulus payments, which is what you, a conservative, are proposing.  As Spock would say, "Faaascinating." 

No worries, I'm sure you'll turn into a fiscal conservative again, come Jan. 20th.  Hang in there.
Stimulus?
The Biden plan is a RELIEF plan that you argued against when it was only $600 back in December.
I note you have no trouble in adding $1400 for more relief you won’t need( at least  you said in December that you and wifey were fine with getting nothing)

Plan is both.   1400 is stimulus part,  and I still don't see it as necessary right now,  and still see rent relief,  food relief,  Main St.  relief, childcare,  as what needs targeting right now.  The relief parts of Joe's plan make sense.   And I am still passing my checks along to those who need it.   Stop trying to score and instead hear the  points people actually make.
LOL!

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #63191 on: January 15, 2021, 04:55:27 PM »

http://youtu.be/dFQHm-2cyIk

LP helps out Rick Scott with his leadership role in the GOP caucus.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63192 on: January 15, 2021, 04:55:37 PM »

Larry confuses policy and politics.

rookie mistake.

but he also likes to confuse this forum from time to time.

a veteran ruse.

Larry your WAPO "GO BIG" article  is about going BIG on the covid relief and fixing the economy, and not the social issues you linked to Go Big.

Perhaps you should have read the article before posting as it makes my point about Joe's challenges in a 50-50 Senate

Joe doesn't have the votes for BIG as defined by Larry (a laundry list of social issues that need about 70 Dems in the Senate, as 10 will likely not support them all)

That seemed apparent in June, it should be obvious now.

Joe may have the votes for smart and get the R-support he needs

Larry don't hold your breathe for defund the police, Medicare for All, free college etc

maybe in 22-24, but that is only if Joe and the Dems hold Congress by going SMART.

And SMART allows for going BIG, LATER!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #63193 on: January 15, 2021, 05:05:56 PM »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-feared-for-her-life-in-us-capitol-siege/13058676

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she and other elected officials 'narrowly escaped death' during US Capitol siege

US Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said she and other elected officials "narrowly escaped death" last week when a mob of President Donald Trump's supporters stormed into the US Capitol, and she was concerned her own "white supremacist" colleagues in Congress would put her at further risk.

#####

I looked up "white supremacist".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_supremacy]]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_supremacy

White supremacy or white supremacism is the belief that white people are superior to those of other races and thus should dominate them. The belief favors the maintenance and defense of white power and privilege. White supremacy has roots in the now-discredited doctrine of scientific racism, and was a key justification for colonialism. It underlies a spectrum of contemporary movements including neo-Confederates, neo-Nazism and Christian Identity.

At the risk of being either slightly dismayed or happily amused, I'll ask. Do you have a point?

So now obviously "Christian identity" makes one classed as a "White supremacist".

That's no surprise. Think of the "Christian values" brought to bear by the Spanish Inquisition, or by the Spanish, English, and French exploring the new world and killing the native people in the name of Jesus, or the Puritans who excaped religious intolerance so they could impose religious intolerance, or Henry VIII, or Nazi collaborator Pope Pius XII, or...

The KKK, btw, doesn't burn Jewish stars.

University of Alabama professor Diane Roberts English claims that Klan cross burning emerged from Scottish influences. In an article she wrote for the Oxford American, English says the Klan, "founded in 1866 in Tennessee, may have been patterned after the mysterious Society of the Horseman's Word from eastern Scotland, as well as the Knight's Templar." Scots used burning crosses as rallying symbols on their way to war, and, according to Joe Roy, a director at the Southern Poverty Law Center, crosses were set afire on Scottish hilltops to warn of enemy invasion. Thomas Dixon's 1905 best-seller "The Clansman" called cross burning the "ancient symbol of an unconquered race of men."[/i]---

source: Christian Science Monitor https://www.csmonitor.com/2002/1213/p25s04-wonq.html

Be careful who you root for, bu-bu. Symbols carry a lot of meaning, and it's not always straightforward stuff.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #63194 on: January 15, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

By almost any metric, the Trump administration has taken extraordinary measures to help the president’s businesses profit during his four years in office. The administration pushed to hold the G7 summit at President Trump’s private club and the President himself visited one of his own properties on approximately one out of every three days he’s been in office.

But the striking thing, based on the limited information we have about the inner workings of Trump’s company, is how little these moves helped the profitability of the business itself.

“They were already in trouble,” Robert Maguire, research director of watchdog organization Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), told Yahoo Finance. This was “before the pandemic, and then the pandemic hits and it's a huge blow.”

Forbes has been estimating Trump’s net worth for years. In March 2016, when the earliest figure was available, his net worth stood at an estimated $4.5 billion. Soon after he was inaugurated president, that figure had dropped to $3.5 billion. “We now have him at $2.5 billion,” said Dan Alexander, a Forbes senior editor and one of the people behind the data. “That's a very substantial hit.”

The coronavirus pandemic has gutted businesses across the country, with 10 million fewer jobs in the U.S. than before the pandemic began. That overall factor, combined with a host of companies cutting ties with the Trump Organization following the president’s role in inciting the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, is likely to damage the president’s business further.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/donald-trump-business-prospects-194722864.html

Such a loser.
Pages: 1 ... 4211 4212 [4213] 4214 4215 ... 4288