Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994780 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2265 on: September 11, 2018, 12:24:07 AM »

Aussie firefighters in America should be issued with assault rifles/mafia-style machine guns so they can shoot back.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/australian-firefighters-shot-at-while-battling-us-wildfire/ar-BBN8oOM?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Because fighting fires is so much easier while carrying a "mafia-style machine gun."

That they were shot at is revolting.

That you think that's a solution is perhaps more revolting.

The solution is SWAT teams protecting them and their American colleagues from gun-toting, anti-govt militia/s who inhabit the forests.
One American firefighter recorded a 'last message' on his phone to his family ...thinking he would be killed.

I'm stunned at your cluelessness and I thought I was beyond that.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2266 on: September 11, 2018, 12:56:37 AM »

Heh.   TBH,  I have a revulsion for poor sportsmanship no matter how good the excuse,  so I am a little conflicted on this cartoon.   Cartoonists caricature everyone,  so it's possible that there really is no intent to demean Ms Williams on the basis of anything but her tantrum.  In the US,  it would be hideously clueless,  given the vile stain in our history of African caricatures.  In Oz,  it may be clueless but perhaps not as culpably so.   Sorry if that's not PC here,  but that's my impression.   

Then why is the other player depicted as small, white and blonde?

Thing is, she didn’t have a tantrum. At no point did she jump up and down, but she did bec9me indignant when accused of cheating. That her coach was coaching from the stands.
She’s been playing for more than twenty years and here she was getting beaten in the FINALS of the US Open and she needs to check with her coach?

Nah, the guy called her a cheater and she called him a thief for taking a point and then a game and she was royally pissed.

Nah, the chair ump made himself bigger than the match yet, black folks always MUST remain in total control or we get viewed as aggressive and threatening.

Meanwhile, everyone involved in the open is making exponentially more money because of twenty years of Serena Williams...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: September 11, 2018, 02:12:40 AM »

It gives Kid something to talk about besides how badly his party is fucked by the misadministration.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: September 11, 2018, 05:58:25 AM »

Her opponent is a bi-racial Japanese athlete? Just rude behavior by a tennis diva. Self-loathers have to interject race into everything. BHO proved that race is no longer that big an issue in the US?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2269 on: September 11, 2018, 07:21:11 AM »

Her opponent is a bi-racial Japanese athlete? Just rude behavior by a tennis diva. Self-loathers have to interject race into everything. BHO proved that race is no longer that big an issue in the US?

In fucking credible...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: September 11, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »

Heh.   TBH,  I have a revulsion for poor sportsmanship no matter how good the excuse,  so I am a little conflicted on this cartoon.   Cartoonists caricature everyone,  so it's possible that there really is no intent to demean Ms Williams on the basis of anything but her tantrum.  In the US,  it would be hideously clueless,  given the vile stain in our history of African caricatures.  In Oz,  it may be clueless but perhaps not as culpably so.   Sorry if that's not PC here,  but that's my impression.   

Thing is, she didn’t have a tantrum. At no point did she jump up and down, but she did bec9me indignant when accused of cheating. That her coach was coaching from the stands.
She’s been playing for more than twenty years and here she was getting beaten in the FINALS of the US Open and she needs to check with her coach?

Nah, the guy called her a cheater and she called him a thief for taking a point and then a game and she was royally pissed.

Nah, the chair ump made himself bigger than the match yet, black folks always MUST remain in total control or we get viewed as aggressive and threatening.

Meanwhile, everyone involved in the open is making exponentially more money because of twenty years of Serena Williams...

I could see the same cartoon with McEnroe back in the day - with Borg being "small, white and blond" in the background.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: September 11, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »

I'd be interested in seeing that. Link please.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: September 11, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: September 11, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »

Re:  Serena and the US Open (and womens tennis in general) money

You dont think she was given the proper respect by those benefitting.  By her opponent, for instance?

Further - do you think she owes Ms Osaka an apology?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: September 11, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »

"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: September 11, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »

Navratilova covers this in the most even-handed way possible. No more needs be said than this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/opinion/martina-navratilova-serena-williams-us-open.html

And of course that cartoon is Racist.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: September 11, 2018, 09:35:21 AM »

Re:  Serena and the US Open (and womens tennis in general) money

You dont think she was given the proper respect by those benefitting.  By her opponent, for instance?

Further - do you think she owes Ms Osaka an apology?
I care little about tennis, but if apologies are required I think the Chair Umpire owes everybody one.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: September 11, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »

https://www.cartoonstock.com/cartoonview.asp?catref=gbrn105
Where's the "small white Borg" you could see?

And production of the fantasy cartoon, like the real one he posted, proves nothing. Borg is actually white, of course. Osaka is, of course, not. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #2278 on: September 11, 2018, 09:42:14 AM »

Hi,  Larry.   I would guess the other player is not a caricature because she's not being made fun of.   I would say the cartoonist considers breaking your tennis racket to be poor behavior,  so he shows it as a tantrum.   Me,  I would take just as dim a view of any pro smashing their equipment.  The question is,  would this cartoonist also... or does he just single out women and/or blacks?   If the latter,  then your protest is fair.   My two cents. 

As for the ump's call,  I have no idea.  Would have to watch more tennis than I do.   If y'all who watch that boring game says there's a differential enforcement on ethnic groups or gender,  then I wouldn't argue that the ump was blameless.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: September 11, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »

Hi,  Larry.   I would guess the other player is not a caricature because she's not being made fun of.

But she is drawn as a caricature.  Osaka is not a petite white lady with straight blond hair.  She is portrayed that way to play a character.  One that critically draws a contrast to buy into racial stereotyping.

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 4288