Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994783 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2280 on: September 11, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »

Re:  Serena and the US Open (and womens tennis in general) money

You dont think she was given the proper respect by those benefitting.  By her opponent, for instance?

Further - do you think she owes Ms Osaka an apology?
I care little about tennis, but if apologies are required I think the Chair Umpire owes everybody one.

Was doing his job

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: September 11, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »

Her opponent is a bi-racial Japanese athlete? Just rude behavior by a tennis diva. Self-loathers have to interject race into everything. BHO proved that race is no longer that big an issue in the US?

That hole your head is in must be deep and dark. And short of oxygen.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 11, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »

Electric rates are going up because fewer customers are present to support the region's ongoing commitment to coal, not to mention that the "regulators" allowed the companies to pass through to customers the cost of cleaning up the dead coal plants.

Fewer residents causing higher prices and an impossibility to afford to stay, causing higher prices, still.

This is a place in which the government needs to step in. The path is not a good one for anybody, including the owners of the coal generating facilities or the electric companies (whether the same or different owners).
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 11, 2018, 10:25:10 AM »

That's always a lame defense. He has discretion. As an analogy, the baseball rulebook clearly states that ANY judgment call (not just balls and strikes) is final (replay rules noted). Rule 8.02 Do you think the game is well-served by an umpire saying "I was just doing my job" in ejecting or otherwise penalizing a player or manager as rules allow for arguing a judgment call?  I'm not even assuming evil motives to the chair ump. Just idiotic ones.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »

You dont think she was given the proper respect by those benefitting.  By her opponent, for instance?

I care little about tennis, but if apologies are required I think the Chair Umpire owes everybody one.

Was doing his job

At two points a different chair umpire might have done a better job:

First, when the initial infraction was handed down due to her coach giving directions.  This is common practice for coaches.  And would be just as common practice, particularly in a championship match (!) for the ump to inform the player on a change-over that it needs to stop rather than issue the official warning.  The official had no choice but issue an infraction when the racket was smashed, but had the ump used more discretion, that would not have resulted in the loss of a point.

Second, giving Osaka a game after Serena called him a thief.  That wasn't fair, and was an overreaction.

At every stage, again in a finals match, the Umpire chose the hardest line available to him rather than recognizing the moment, and choosing the path that allowed the match to move forward, and the players to play.

Should he apologize?  Don't know.  But it isn't true that this was the only way the situation could have been handled.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:48:12 AM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: September 11, 2018, 10:51:41 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/rebelgirls/videos/244054996306766/

For perspective - these are men losing it on the tennis court.

Guess what didn't happen to them.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »

That's always a lame defense. He has discretion. As an analogy, the baseball rulebook clearly states that ANY judgment call (not just balls and strikes) is final (replay rules noted). Rule 8.02 Do you think the game is well-served by an umpire saying "I was just doing my job" in ejecting or otherwise penalizing a player or manager as rules allow for arguing a judgment call?  I'm not even assuming evil motives to the chair ump. Just idiotic ones.

So.... just because its a GS final - and because the best player in the galaxy is losing, this umpire's "discretion" should be to allow Serena to break her racket in obvious disgust and calmly say, "please don't do that again, Ms Williams" - and nothing else?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 11, 2018, 11:15:28 AM »

They used to say McEnroe's antics were bad for tennis.  Why not say the same about Serena in this instance?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 11, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »

So.... just because its a GS final - and because the best player in the galaxy is losing, this umpire's "discretion" should be to allow Serena to break her racket in obvious disgust and calmly say, "please don't do that again, Ms Williams" - and nothing else?
Yes.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 11, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »

They used to say McEnroe's antics were bad for tennis.  Why not say the same about Serena in this instance?

Which "they" is that?

Very few people said that, Kiid, if any.

You're also ignoring the differences between his meltdowns and her "tantrum," not to mention the frequency.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:28:00 AM by josh »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 11, 2018, 11:27:33 AM »

Meh.  Half those clips are McEnroe and I know he didn't always get away with that shit.  Plus 30 years ago the standards for Umps might have been different.

Second, not clear some of those actions came with no penalty handed down.  If no point was taken, it may have been because they were the first infraction.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: September 11, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »

As I said, didn't have to issue an official infraction for the coach's actions.  And didn't need to (and almost definitely should not have) docked her a game because he felt personally insulted.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: September 11, 2018, 11:33:08 AM »

Meh.  Half those clips are McEnroe and I know he didn't always get away with that shit.  Plus 30 years ago the standards for Umps might have been different.

Second, not clear some of those actions came with no penalty handed down.  If no point was taken, it may have been because they were the first infraction.

He got penalized.

Even got dqed once.

But... it took far more from him to get him there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2rjocv-Jo

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: September 11, 2018, 11:36:22 AM »

Heh.   TBH,  I have a revulsion for poor sportsmanship no matter how good the excuse,  so I am a little conflicted on this cartoon.   Cartoonists caricature everyone,  so it's possible that there really is no intent to demean Ms Williams on the basis of anything but her tantrum.  In the US,  it would be hideously clueless,  given the vile stain in our history of African caricatures.  In Oz,  it may be clueless but perhaps not as culpably so.   Sorry if that's not PC here,  but that's my impression.   

Then why is the other player depicted as small, white and blonde?

Thing is, she didn’t have a tantrum. At no point did she jump up and down, but she did bec9me indignant when accused of cheating. That her coach was coaching from the stands.
She’s been playing for more than twenty years and here she was getting beaten in the FINALS of the US Open and she needs to check with her coach?

Nah, the guy called her a cheater and she called him a thief for taking a point and then a game and she was royally pissed.

Nah, the chair ump made himself bigger than the match yet, black folks always MUST remain in total control or we get viewed as aggressive and threatening.

Meanwhile, everyone involved in the open is making exponentially more money because of twenty years of Serena Williams...

Maybe if you watched the tournament as it unfolded in real time, you'd know how wrong she was.

Cartoon aside, the Japanese-Haitian who was kicking her ass the entire match did dye her hair blonde.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:51:02 AM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: September 11, 2018, 11:40:21 AM »

Guess you didn't watch it in real time, either, but have just seen cuts, it edited works.

Why would a chair umpire owe the player whose coach broke the rules, and who herself disrespected the game, the match, her opponent, the tournament officials, and the tournament itsrof?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 4288