Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1596787 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6375 on: November 19, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColinHanks/status/1063960208588718080

(Hanks response to Trump's praise of the Finns he imagined raking their forests)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: November 19, 2018, 06:27:12 PM »

I am not huge...and not muscular.
But a gun makes me equal. [too bad I'm not allowed to carry guns.]
Mental health hold, I take i.t.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6377 on: November 19, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »

God made man, and Sam Colt made them equal.

Islamic terrorists who are hacking people to death in the streets of the Christian West are usually huge and muscular.
At least Americans can carry guns and be equal, with stab-slaughtering terrorists.

This guy carried guns and that made him equal, right?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-shooting-mercy-hospital-chicago-20181119-story.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »

I have always known my strength as a citizen, and when I had uncles in prison, if I did not like the way that the prison was being ran, then I would write a letter to the warden telling the warden my thoughts on whatever the issue was.

One issue, was I did not like how the prisons were locking people down based on race, and they were dividing people up by race, and the prisons were perpetuating racism, all of the prisoners were turned into racists. 

Some things that they do to control people in prison makes it really hard on the prisoners when they are released, and the things that they do to control them does not make them into nice people when they get out. Hardened criminals do not come out of prison healthy, unless they read the right stuff, and have friends who teach them the right stuff, and family who teaches them the right stuff, and therapists who teach them the right stuff, and teachers, and priests, and whomever can have a positive influence on the prisoners. And the prisons can be ran better, to reform the prisoners, so that they actually come out as better people and have better lives. 

So, I wrote to the wardens and stuff, and I told them my thoughts. I actually felt like it made a difference, and you never know. At least I cared enough to write and give them my thoughts on the issues.

We all matter, and as citizens we all need to speak up on the issues.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6379 on: November 19, 2018, 08:45:11 PM »

God made man...

When God made Man, He made him outta string. He had a little left, so He left that little thing. When God made Woman, He made her outta lace. He didn't have enough, so He left that little space. Thank you, God!

— Cecil “Stud” Cantrell
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6380 on: November 19, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »

I have always known my strength as a citizen, and when I had uncles in prison, if I did not like the way that the prison was being ran, then I would write a letter to the warden telling the warden my thoughts on whatever the issue was.

One issue, was I did not like how the prisons were locking people down based on race, and they were dividing people up by race, and the prisons were perpetuating racism, all of the prisoners were turned into racists.

Some things that they do to control people in prison makes it really hard on the prisoners when they are released, and the things that they do to control them does not make them into nice people when they get out. Hardened criminals do not come out of prison healthy, unless they read the right stuff, and have friends who teach them the right stuff, and family who teaches them the right stuff, and therapists who teach them the right stuff, and teachers, and priests, and whomever can have a positive influence on the prisoners. And the prisons can be ran better, to reform the prisoners, so that they actually come out as better people and have better lives.

So, I wrote to the wardens and stuff, and I told them my thoughts. I actually felt like it made a difference, and you never know. At least I cared enough to write and give them my thoughts on the issues.

We all matter, and as citizens we all need to speak up on the issues.

Salute,

Tony V.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: November 19, 2018, 08:50:13 PM »

"The ACLU cannot love constitutional rights only when it serves to further a cause on behalf of their favored marginalized group, then hate it when it doesn’t, and still be given credit as a voice for civil liberties ...

What "marginalized group"...women?  As if protecting victims of sexual assault is about identity politics? 

In fairness, Barton posted the link. Red simply does not know how to format.

I posted to stimulate chat about the possibility of specious comparison of campus tribunals with public criminal courts.   Seems to me the rules of evidence might be different in a campus situation.
Another admission of ignorance on the new guidelines.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: November 19, 2018, 11:30:46 PM »

To the GOP and its supporters:

When your party’s electoral strategy depends on fewer people voting it means you know your policies suck for most people.
That was Hillary’s plan.  It didn’t work.
It never does.

You are still a liar. You make that claim with zero evidence to support it, while ignoring all the evidence in the world about your party.

And yes, it does sometimes work.

Georgia, 2018, comes to mind.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: November 19, 2018, 11:41:58 PM »

God made man, and Sam Colt made them equal.

Islamic terrorists who are hacking people to death in the streets of the Christian West are usually huge and muscular.
At least Americans can carry guns and be equal, with stab-slaughtering terrorists.

Your bigotry is clearer than usual, today, as is your cluelessness about guns.

The more guns there are, the more gun deaths there are - more suicides, more accidents, and more homicides.

Women in a home are at substantially greater risk of premature death than in homes without guns. This includes adjustments for neighborhoods.

The statistics are clear.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: November 19, 2018, 11:44:17 PM »

All men are created equal, under the law, except for those who are not.

Napoleon the Pig would be proud.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: November 19, 2018, 11:53:03 PM »

In terribly shocking news, the Twitter-in-Chief, who discontinued all tweets about the "invasion" has now also pulled back the troops sent to the border to "save us" from them.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/11/trump-troops-border-caravan-stunt?fbclid=IwAR1liVTpJEH9KV5tTPwqkmEtjnhL-0hKiaJfL309-q8WOZOKeTR9hT14AR4

Oh, so terribly surprised. $200,000,000 thrown away.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: November 20, 2018, 12:12:02 AM »

In a quiet forest in Finland, the wild Roomba quietly does its important work clearing the undergrowth.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: November 20, 2018, 07:09:47 AM »

Ohio GOP Leader Blasted For Calling Wildfires 'God's Punishment To Liberal California'
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ohio-gop-leader-california-fires-gods-punishment_us_5bf36356e4b0d9e7283c5f06

Paradise is in California's First Congressional District, one of the few remaining Republican districts. Has God bad aim? Can he not read an electoral map?

Well, the idiot is from Columbiana County so I am not actually surprised.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: November 20, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »

Same playbook as the GOP efforts at voter suppression; come up with an erroneous but at least defensible reason to restrict access, then put obstacles in people's way targeted to the people you don't want to support:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/arkansas-says-it-wants-to-help-the-poor-its-hurting-them-instead/2018/11/19/8e61f0a2-ec3c-11e8-96d4-0d23f2aaad09_story.html?__twitter_impression=true&noredirect=on

---

In other words: A policy intended to help people get jobs instead cost McGonigal his.

This was predictable. A Hamilton Project report found that the preponderance of evidence suggests Medicaid has little or positive effects on labor-force supply. For many families, safety-net services support work, rather than discourage it....

Medicaid recipients can’t directly report over the phone, in person or by mail. Like McGonigal, Book doesn’t have a computer. She designated a pastor to log her work hours for her.

The state made reporting online-only to avoid hiring more staff. (It also didn’t allocate any additional dollars to help enrollees find work.) Officials did this even though Arkansas has the lowest level of household Internet access in the country, and the online portal doesn’t work well on smartphones. Once, when I tried it, I got an error message saying my phone’s browser was “not compatible.” The next day, it was mysteriously compatible again.

Most indefensibly, the website shuts down every single night  between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. for “scheduled maintenance.”

No wonder 80 percent of those required to report work hours or exemptions each month are reporting nothing at all.

---

The point was never to encourage medicaid recipients to go to work.  The point was to kick otherwise qualified people off of medicaid.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 4288