Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1599273 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #11175 on: March 13, 2019, 04:06:34 PM »

For sure, who is going to buy more planes from a company that flagrantly denies obvious safety issues* and won't do a recall?  Do Boeing execs have shit for brains?

* well, obvious to most of the world, most pilots, most air travelers, most regulatory bodies (Canada just joined that list).... but not to Redward, apparently.  Apparently two jets falling from the sky is not, for him, "reliable evidence..."
Moot point now that Trump just grounded the planes.

Clarification:  That's Jim's way of saying "I was wrong as proven by recent events."

Also the FAA made the decision, Trump just wants to take credit for it.

Heh.  Boeing categorized it as "an abundance of caution," a humorous redefinition of abundance. 

In a statement, Boeing said it “continues to have full confidence in the safety of the 737 MAX.” The company added that it had decided “out of an abundance of caution and in order to reassure the flying public of the aircraft’s safety — to recommend to the FAA the temporary suspension of operations of the entire global fleet of 371 737 MAX aircraft.”   
- AP News

That paragraph gets funnier after you read Bo's posted Salon takedown.  This is the ugly underbelly of capitalism showing. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #11176 on: March 13, 2019, 04:19:14 PM »

Why can't Boeing take the lead and recall its own fleet of max-8s for a fix?  I see nothing good for the company by going along with an obviously corrupted administration.
I'd imagine that the Boeing board would argue that doing this (taking the lead) would constitute a breach of its fiduciary duty to its investors and, at the same time, I imagine there's an argument to be made that not doing it (taking the lead) constitutes a breach of its fiduciary duty to its investors.
There is no reliable evidence that there is a danger worth grounding the planes. 
Boeing sees none, the airlines sees none, the FAA sees none.

Always the mayor of Amity...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11177 on: March 13, 2019, 04:29:52 PM »

In a statement, Boeing said it “continues to have full confidence in the safety of the 737 MAX.” The company added that it had decided “out of an abundance of caution and in order to reassure the flying public of the aircraft’s safety — to recommend to the FAA the temporary suspension of operations of the entire global fleet of 371 737 MAX aircraft.”  - AP News

That paragraph gets funnier after you read Bo's posted Salon takedown.  This is the ugly underbelly of capitalism showing.
LOL
Boeing and Trump do exactly what you called for and you still whine.
Conspiracy theories 'R you.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: March 13, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »

Your role model, the President, has tweeted his fury at the California Governor's decision.

The only perfect person who's ever walked on earth was the man with holes in his hands and feet.
Hardly perfect, then.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11179 on: March 13, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »

Why can't Boeing take the lead and recall its own fleet of max-8s for a fix?  I see nothing good for the company by going along with an obviously corrupted administration.
I'd imagine that the Boeing board would argue that doing this (taking the lead) would constitute a breach of its fiduciary duty to its investors and, at the same time, I imagine there's an argument to be made that not doing it (taking the lead) constitutes a breach of its fiduciary duty to its investors.
There is no reliable evidence that there is a danger worth grounding the planes. 

.  No longer true.

Wasn’t true when he said it.

Amazing that it was ever in question, but we can be happy Trump put a donors interest over the safety of the public for only a few days.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:40:56 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #11180 on: March 13, 2019, 04:40:42 PM »

Your role model, the President, has tweeted his fury at the California Governor's decision.

The only perfect person who's ever walked on earth was the man with holes in his hands and feet.
Hardly perfect, then.

Indeed.
He's not perfect...no one is.
In my eyes he's still misguided on some issues.
I'm still waiting for a definitive statement from him on ANZUS Alliance.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:44:24 PM by bambu-wisdom »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11181 on: March 13, 2019, 05:14:56 PM »

.  No longer true.

Still is true.
The grounding of the planes is not based, yet, on reliable evidence, just coincidence,
It is, however, understandable.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11182 on: March 13, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »

.  No longer true.

Still is true.
The grounding of the planes is not based, yet, on reliable evidence, just coincidence,

Not true then: Satallite imagery showing similarities between the two crashes, statements logged by the FAA from pilots questioning the plane's safety, Ethiopian Airlines communications with the pilot right before the crash...

Not true now: From acting head of FAA:  "Evidence we found on the ground made it even more likely that the flight path was very close to Lion Air's."

Evidence that existed before and after the FAA announcement that it was a flaw/malfunction in the plane that caused the crash, and that the flaw is inherent in the plane's design. 

But I get it, you need to establish a different definition of "evidence" in preparation for future conversations.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:15:30 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11183 on: March 13, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »

.  No longer true.

Still is true.

Not true then: Satallite imagery showing similarities between the two crashes, statements logged by the FAA from pilots questioning the plane's safety, Ethiopian Airlines communications with the pilot right before the crash...

Not true now: From acting head of FAA:  "Evidence we found on the ground made it even more likely that the flight path was very close to Lion Air's."

Evidence that existed before and after the FAA announcement that it was a flaw/malfunction in the plane that caused the crash, and that the flaw is inherent in the plane's design. 

But I get it, you need to establish a different definition of "evidence" in preparation for future conversations.
You cited no evidence, only coincidence. I don’t have a problem with grounding the planes citing an “ over abundance of caution”.  As for Trump’s decision he was critical of Boeing from his first tweet. But then he owns a Boeing built jet and flies on another owned by us.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11184 on: March 13, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »

I am sure the FAA would have acted quicker had Trump succeeded in having his personal private pilot named head of the FAA. Or if we actually HAD a head of the FAA. Of course, Trump would have actually nominated someone to the position for that to happen. But then, the FAA is part of a pretty broad swath of the government Trump does not give a shit about until circumstances force him to.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11185 on: March 13, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »

I am sure the FAA would have acted quicker had Trump succeeded in having his personal private pilot named head of the FAA. Or if we actually HAD a head of the FAA. Of course, Trump would have actually nominated someone to the position for that to happen. But then, the FAA is part of a pretty broad swath of the government Trump does not give a shit about until circumstances force him to.
Trump grounded the planes.
What’s your point?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: March 13, 2019, 08:38:13 PM »

TRUMP GROUNDS BOEING AIR 737 MAX 8 AND MAX 9 IMMEDIATELY

Hmmmm - right there on CNN.com

- Thought he couldn't do that.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: March 13, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »

That's   C   N   N

Home of Theeeeee Greatest, Jimmyboy Acosta.

barton

« Reply #11188 on: March 13, 2019, 08:42:07 PM »

In a statement, Boeing said it “continues to have full confidence in the safety of the 737 MAX.” The company added that it had decided “out of an abundance of caution and in order to reassure the flying public of the aircraft’s safety — to recommend to the FAA the temporary suspension of operations of the entire global fleet of 371 737 MAX aircraft.”  - AP News

LOL
Boeing and Trump do exactly what you called for and you still whine.
Conspiracy theories 'R you.

So you didn't read Bo's Salon link.  So why are you talking?  You want to discuss the story of Boeing's fast-tracking the Max 8, read the article.  As for the whine, that's your hearing aid.  I was laughing. 

barton

« Reply #11189 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:10 PM »

Hardly perfect, then.

Haha!  Sometimes a joke requires work.  Sometimes they drop it right in front of you, like ripe fruit ready for plucking. 
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 4288