Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007287 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #11911 on: March 28, 2019, 12:38:54 AM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/3/27/1845550/-Neil-Gorsuch-says-no-one-can-sue-to-stop-government-establishing-religion

If the Estabilishment Clause is eliminated or substantially weakened, you can kiss this country goodbye.

I don't think we're all that close to Gilead here.  The writer's rhetoric seems a bit overheated to me.  Gallup's been tracking those who identify as born again or evangelical, and it's around 40 % - and bear in mind that includes fairly moderate Christians (Jimmy Carter identifies as such, and certainly is no theocrat).

The problem, as ever, is not what the public thinks, overall, but what the GOP thinks and especially what the GOP members of Congress and SCOTUS think.

But given the percentage of the GOP rank and file who think that Christianity ought to be the national religion is at or about 50%, despite the Constitution, I am not soothed by your reasoning.

And the fact that Ward agrees with you should give you pause.

I don't form opinions on the basis of who might or might not agree with them.  Red's agreement seems to be largely with assertions I didn't actually make.   I was suggesting that some evangelics and BACs are not quite as far gone as the zombie brigade.   I've encountered a fair number of them who don't like Trump and do like the Constitution.  I won't claim anecdotal evidence supports optimism, but I do have some.  You shouldn't be "soothed," but you should respect that we can differ on this and that my life experiences may differ from yours.  I detest any "it's us or it's them" mindset that demands that I accept a single stereotyped reading of any social group.   It poisons any capacity a person has to listen to other people and understand them as individuals.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: March 28, 2019, 05:55:52 AM »

Josh, thanks.  I don't have to deal with the increasingly hard to read Captchas anymore.  Getting into the site normally now.

I've encountered a fair number of them who don't like Trump and do like the Constitution.

But yet many(/most?) don't like the federal gov't the Constitution set up.  Never understood why the Dems never push that angle.  Lots of rightwingers profess love for the Constitution, some even carry around pocket-sized versions to prove it, yet they don't like the Gov't that it constituted.  The Federal Gov't is part of the genius of the Founding Fathers and one reason the country has thrived and survived in the same stable form for over 2 centuries and a quarter (with some modifications and perhaps a tiny civil war tossed in there somewhere).

If nothing else, the fed gov't shutdowns should make it clear how important the govt's role and functions are.  But it shouldn't take that to counter the hostility to the country's system of gov't the right often freely expresses.  They get no push back and counter to their anti-gov't screeds, believe it's true and supported and shut down gov't thinking noone will care or they'll actually be supported.

Now Trumps has even shifted from Gov't is the Problem to the Media is the Enemy of the People.  Which also should be easy to refute and point out the dangers to democracy therefrom.  Dems just don't put the effort into crafting their worldview and explaining it to the People.
Need to head off demagoguery and fascistic tendencies before it happens here, not when the hour is late.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Campaign Trail
« Reply #11913 on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: March 28, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »

https://gritpost.com/trump-administration-immigrants-bridge/

Detained families being held under bridges because the detention center is full.

And this is not a crisis

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: March 28, 2019, 10:36:54 AM »

Has every Democratic candidate for President come out in favor of abolishing the electoral college?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: March 28, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »

First they lie about any deal ever existing.  Then they lie about when, exactly, the deal was killed (if it even has been.) And now we learn they were scrambling behind the scenes to deny any involvement in that deal:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/03/how-ivankas-lawyer-sought-to-influence-cohens-testimony?verso=true

Have you ever known a Trump to want to take her name off of something?

And yet we are all supposed to believe now based on a four page summary from a biased AG that this deal was totally legit and above board?  BS.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: March 28, 2019, 01:00:35 PM »

Detained families being held under bridges because the detention center is full.

And this is not a crisis

Trump’s gestapo is practicing on brown people before they come for you, Kiddo
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: March 28, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/3/27/1845550/-Neil-Gorsuch-says-no-one-can-sue-to-stop-government-establishing-religion

If the Estabilishment Clause is eliminated or substantially weakened, you can kiss this country goodbye.

I don't think we're all that close to Gilead here.  The writer's rhetoric seems a bit overheated to me.  Gallup's been tracking those who identify as born again or evangelical, and it's around 40 % - and bear in mind that includes fairly moderate Christians (Jimmy Carter identifies as such, and certainly is no theocrat).

The problem, as ever, is not what the public thinks, overall, but what the GOP thinks and especially what the GOP members of Congress and SCOTUS think.

But given the percentage of the GOP rank and file who think that Christianity ought to be the national religion is at or about 50%, despite the Constitution, I am not soothed by your reasoning.

And the fact that Ward agrees with you should give you pause.

I don't form opinions on the basis of who might or might not agree with them.  Red's agreement seems to be largely with assertions I didn't actually make.   I was suggesting that some evangelics and BACs are not quite as far gone as the zombie brigade.   I've encountered a fair number of them who don't like Trump and do like the Constitution.  I won't claim anecdotal evidence supports optimism, but I do have some.  You shouldn't be "soothed," but you should respect that we can differ on this and that my life experiences may differ from yours.  I detest any "it's us or it's them" mindset that demands that I accept a single stereotyped reading of any social group.   It poisons any capacity a person has to listen to other people and understand them as individuals.

I don't form opinions on the basis of who agrees with them.

But if people whose reasoning processes regularly result in different conclusions than mine seem to have come to the same conclusion I have on a given issue, I do consider that a reason to go back and review the question at hand.

Similarly, if my conclusion differs from others' whose opinions I respect, I go back to reexamine how I got to my conclusion, to see if I have missed something.

Your thoughts prompted me to go back to check. Had I been in agreement with Ward, that, too, would have prompted a reexamination. Not a knee jerk change, just "gives me pause."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: March 28, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »

Josh, thanks.  I don't have to deal with the increasingly hard to read Captchas anymore.  Getting into the site normally now.

Love to take credit for the change for folks, but I had nothing to do with it, as far as I can tell!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: March 28, 2019, 01:26:35 PM »

And this is not a crisis

It's a crisis, Kiiid.

But the crisis is not the refugees and asylum seekers, it's the way our government is mishandling the situation.

A big wall isn't going to fix this.

Still.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: March 28, 2019, 01:27:05 PM »

Has every Democratic candidate for President come out in favor of abolishing the electoral college?

No.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: March 28, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: March 28, 2019, 04:58:33 PM »

And this is not a crisis

Trump’s gestapo is practicing on brown people before they come for you, Kiddo

This is what happens when people decide to enter a country without being invited, are undocumented, not health checked, not identified, not background checked, and not approved for resettlement.
They have to be detained...until such time as they have been investigated and approved.
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 4288