Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2006506 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #12001 on: March 29, 2019, 11:11:29 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: March 29, 2019, 11:13:26 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1z0IxGzy4A

ANZAC Day 2016 march in Darwin City, Northern Territory, Australia. Includes Royal Australia Air Force, Royal Australia Navy and Australian Army personal. Also includes United States Marines on rotation in Darwin, Australian Federal Police, Northern Territory Police, Army Cadets, Scouts, Sea Scouts, St Johns Ambulance.

US Marines at 1min 30sec along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afspOKV4rT8

US Marine Corps General delivers speech honouring ADF personnel

#####

A very impressive man...you [and therefore we] are lucky to have him.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:15:14 PM by arafura »

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: March 29, 2019, 11:43:30 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/i-was-shocked-nevada-democrat-accuses-biden-of-touching-kissing-her-without-consent/ar-BBVpd58?li=AAgfIYZ&OCID=AVRES000

‘I was shocked’: Nevada Democrat accuses Biden of touching, kissing her without consent

A one-time Democratic nominee for Nevada’s lieutenant governor accused former vice president Joe Biden on Friday of touching and kissing her without her consent during her campaign in 2014, an experience she says left her feeling mortified, embarrassed and confused.

In an essay published by “The Cut,” Lucy Flores wrote that, when she learned the then-vice president had offered to appear at a rally in Nevada to support her campaign, she was grateful. But that feeling changed, she said, when Biden approached her from behind as she was getting ready to address the crowd.

She wrote that she felt the vice president place two hands on her shoulders before moving closer to her from behind.

Then, she says, Biden kissed her on the back of her head.

He proceeded to plant a big slow kiss on the back of my head. My brain couldn’t process what was happening. I was embarrassed. I was shocked. I was confused. There is a Spanish saying, “tragame tierra,” it means, “earth, swallow me whole.” I couldn’t move and I couldn’t say anything. I wanted nothing more than to get Biden away from me. My name was called and I was never happier to get on stage in front of an audience.

#####

Well there you go.
IF true, Joe, unlike arafura-ilk, hadn't learnt by then that you can't touch a woman, ...anywhere, anyhow, anytime, without permission [not even if you're just being friendly]...and you probably need to get that permission on tape and in writing.
Mike Pence knows the deal...he's very careful to never be alone with a woman who's not his wife.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: March 30, 2019, 12:00:27 AM »

IF true, Joe, unlike arafura-ilk, hadn't learnt by then that you can't touch a woman, ...anywhere, anyhow, anytime, without permission [not even if you're just being friendly]...and you probably need to get that permission on tape and in writing.
Mike Pence knows the deal...he's very careful to never be alone with a woman who's not his wife.

They weren't alone, fool.

Biden's been doing this sort of thing, in public, for a long time.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: March 30, 2019, 02:56:23 AM »

The US 'open borders' group has prevailed...asylum-seekers who don't have criminal records are now being released into the community, so more recent arrivals can take their places in detention.
No facilities to keep people in detention long term...and the system is being overrun.

Trump is threatening to close the Mexican border altogether, or parts of it, next week...unless Mexico stops people entering the US illegally.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: March 30, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »

I am a little surprised not much was made of it in the '08 election

Or was there?  I dont recall.

#creepyveep

barton

« Reply #12007 on: March 30, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »

Among the 50 celebrities threatening to boycott doing work in Georgia are: Alec Baldwin, Colin Hanks, Debra Messing, Patton Oswalt, Rosie O’Donnell, Sean Penn, Amy Schumer, Michael Sheen, Sarah Silverman, Ben Stiller, Amber Tamblyn and Wil Wheaton.   

Wil Wheaton?  Though I support the protest against what is basically a ban on abortion, I had a little chuckle at "Wesley Crusher" as a celebrity. 

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alyssa-milano-49-celebrities-threaten-georgia-with-loss-of-billions-over-new-abortion-bill.amp

(the link was on my google screen, I didn't seek out Faux news)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12008 on: March 30, 2019, 11:21:05 AM »

Among the 50 celebrities threatening to boycott doing work in Georgia are: Alec Baldwin, Colin Hanks, Debra Messing, Patton Oswalt, Rosie O’Donnell, Sean Penn, Amy Schumer, Michael Sheen, Sarah Silverman, Ben Stiller, Amber Tamblyn and Wil Wheaton.   

Wil Wheaton?  Though I support the protest against what is basically a ban on abortion, I had a little chuckle at "Wesley Crusher" as a celebrity. 

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alyssa-milano-49-celebrities-threaten-georgia-with-loss-of-billions-over-new-abortion-bill.amp

(the link was on my google screen, I didn't seek out Faux news)

Will Wheaton is an internet maven who is a bona fide celebrity geek on a host of social media platforms. He portrayed himself as “Evil Wil Wheaton” on the Big Bang Theory sitcom.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: March 30, 2019, 01:59:09 PM »

I am a little surprised not much was made of it in the '08 election

Or was there?  I dont recall.

#creepyveep

It takes an extraordinarily bad or good VP candidate to make a difference. Remember how awful Dan Quayle was? Bad enough to be one of the top ten reasons to vote for the Democrat. (The tee shirt said, "10. Jobs, 9. Jobs, 8. Jobs, 7. Jobs, 6. Jobs, 5. Jobs, 4. Jobs, 3. Jobs, 2. Jobs, 1. Dan Quayle.") But Quayle wasn't sufficient to counter-balance Willie Horton, the Tank picture, and Dukakis' answer about the hypothetical rape of Kitty.

In 2008, Palin's ineptness vastly overshadowed anything bad (or good) that Biden brought to the table.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: March 30, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: March 30, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »

Barr will ultimately fail to obstruct while confirming further obstruction. The espionage, colloquially described as collusion, is mapped through cutouts not government entities.

Meanwhile the kind of criminals who get Red and Kiddums horny are inflating our debt while snipping away our life expectancy in their typical fiasco fashion.

It’s sad watching the republican world devolve and crumble. At least it won’t be around much longer.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

oilcan

« Reply #12012 on: March 30, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/30/alex-jones-sandy-hook-claims-psychosis

If by psychosis, you mean "being a loudmouth asshole," then yes, the diagnosis appears correct.

barton

« Reply #12013 on: March 30, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »

Remember how "The Big Short" had these wonderful clear explanations of how financial instruments worked?  And Margot Robbie in a bubble bath (I had to watch that scene twice because the first time through I was too distracted to follow her words)?  Here is a Nobelist in a bubble bath, explaining why the Trump bump isn't....

The Trumpist theory — which was, I’m sorry to say, endorsed by conservative economists who should have known better — was that there was a huge pile of money sitting outside the U.S. that companies would bring back and invest productively if given the incentive of lower tax rates. But that pile of money was an accounting fiction. And the tax cut didn’t give corporations an incentive to build new factories and so on; all it did was induce them to shift their tax-avoidance strategies.

As Brad Setser of the Council on Foreign Relations points out, a casual glance at the data seems to suggest that American companies earn a lot of their profits at their overseas subsidiaries. But a closer look shows that the bulk of these reported profits are in a handful of small countries with low or zero tax rates, like Bermuda, Luxembourg and Ireland. The companies obviously aren’t earning huge profits in these tiny economies; they’re just using accounting gimmicks to assign profits earned elsewhere to subsidiaries that may have a few factories, but sometimes consist of little more than a small office, or even just a post-office box.

These basically phony profits then accumulate on the books of the overseas subsidiaries, rather than the home company. But this doesn’t affect their ability to invest in America: if Apple wants to spend a billion dollars here, it can always borrow the money using the assets of its Irish subsidiary as collateral. In other words, U.S. taxes weren’t having any significant effect in deterring real investment in the U.S. economy.

When Trump cut the tax rate, some companies “brought money home.” But for the most part this had no economic significance. Here’s how it works: Apple Ireland transfers some of its assets to Apple U.S.A. Officially, Apple Ireland has reduced its investment spending, while paying a dividend to U.S. investors. In reality, Apple as an entity has the same total profits and the same total assets it did before; it hasn’t devoted a single additional dollar to purchases of equipment, R&D, or anything else for its U.S. operations.

Not surprisingly, then, the investment boom Trump economists promised has never materialized. Companies didn’t use their tax breaks to invest more; mainly they used them to buy back their own stock. This in turn, put more money in the hands of investors, which gave the economy a temporary boost — although for 2018 as a whole, one of the biggest drivers of faster growth was, believe it or not, higher government spending.

So the theory supposedly behind the Trump tax cut has turned out to be a complete bust. Corporate accountants got to have some fun exploring new frontiers in tax avoidance; the rest of us just ended up saddled with an extra $2 trillion or so in debt.

Now, I’m not deeply worried about that debt. Given low borrowing costs, the costs and risks of federal debt are far less than the usual suspects — again, the same people who cheered on the Trump tax cut — have claimed. But think of all the other things we could have done with $2 trillion — all the infrastructure we could have built and repaired, all the people who could have been given essential health care.

What a colossal, corrupt waste.
  - PK

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/30/opinion/the-incredible-shrinking-trump-boom.html

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: March 30, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »

If trump could only make it through a single “infrastructure week” without shitting the bed...
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 4288