Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994502 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #16260 on: July 04, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »

Regarding Ross flags, my criterion:  if something becomes a symbol of racism and you essentially pay no personal price to be rid of it, then toss it out.   However, if I like VWs and someone tells me, hey, Hitler had some input in the early designs, I'm going to buy a VW anyway.   I'm not avoiding something I value just because someone tried to put their stink on it.
I feel the same way about Wagner.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16261 on: July 04, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »

Anne Frank had no choice.
Asylum-seekers/illegal immigrants/economic immigrants have a choice.

Give it up, bro

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16262 on: July 04, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »

It does seem a legitimate debate question: to what degree can white supremacists usurp the original meaning of the Ross flag, and should we credit that usurping in any way?   I can see both sides of the debate here.   With some symbols, the situation is more clear-cut:  no one frets about what the swastika meant to early Aryan peoples, as a symbol of health, luck, and prosperity.   It was permanently and irrevocably stained when the Nazis co-opted the ancient symbol.   With the Ross flag, it's less clear to me that the stain Kaepernick has perceived is irrevocable.   I don't think ignoring this newer attempt to co-opt a classic  symbol of independence and unity makes someone a racist.
I am really not sure, myself, that I want to let the extremist groups rule our perceptions.

You ever think just once to pay attention when black people say, “Whoa?”

We keep seeing this same movie and we know how it ends....

I've been paying attention to black people saying "whoa" for roughly a half century.   You understand I am asking questions here, and haven't made up my mind where the Ross stands in relation to the other flags you mentioned. 

Still trying to plumb the gray areas.   It's like finding a reasonable point between taking down RE Lee statues (yes) and Jeff Memorial (please, no).  If, when, it's clear that a Ross flag is more about slavery and supremacy than about freedom and unity, then I will be at your door with a can of lighter fluid and whatever libation you favor. 

My slowness to decide things is a feature, not a bug.  At least that's what some folks tell me.

Larry only wants HIS views tolerated, not yours.
"Achtung Larry" doesn't practice what he preaches. It would impact his victim status.

Fuck you and your bullshit.

https://medium.com/@timjwise/silence-is-not-a-virtue-racism-victimhood-and-right-wing-concern-trolling-74094666756

Get a job. Stop living off what the government gives your wife to pretend she's working.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16263 on: July 04, 2019, 09:05:36 PM »

Anne Frank had no choice.
Asylum-seekers/illegal immigrants/economic immigrants have a choice.

The children had no choice.

I was asked why I’m so angry?
I wonder when did children in cages dull your own anger and humanity?
When did you succumb to your hatred of someone’s skin?
Don’t worry about my anger.
Worry about your apathy.

Happy 4th.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16265 on: July 04, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »

It does seem a legitimate debate question: to what degree can white supremacists usurp the original meaning of the Ross flag, and should we credit that usurping in any way?   I can see both sides of the debate here.   With some symbols, the situation is more clear-cut:  no one frets about what the swastika meant to early Aryan peoples, as a symbol of health, luck, and prosperity.   It was permanently and irrevocably stained when the Nazis co-opted the ancient symbol.   With the Ross flag, it's less clear to me that the stain Kaepernick has perceived is irrevocable.   I don't think ignoring this newer attempt to co-opt a classic  symbol of independence and unity makes someone a racist.
I am really not sure, myself, that I want to let the extremist groups rule our perceptions.

I've been paying attention to black people saying "whoa" for roughly a half century.   You understand I am asking questions here, and haven't made up my mind where the Ross stands in relation to the other flags you mentioned. 

Still trying to plumb the gray areas.   It's like finding a reasonable point between taking down RE Lee statues (yes) and Jeff Memorial (please, no).  If, when, it's clear that a Ross flag is more about slavery and supremacy than about freedom and unity, then I will be at your door with a can of lighter fluid and whatever libation you favor. 

My slowness to decide things is a feature, not a bug.  At least that's what some folks tell me.

"Achtung Larry" doesn't practice what he preaches. It would impact his victim status.

https://medium.com/@timjwise/silence-is-not-a-virtue-racism-victimhood-and-right-wing-concern-trolling-74094666756

Get a job. Stop living off what the government gives your wife to pretend she's working.

Jealous, huh?

Keep your nose to the grindstone, buppy.
Who knows? Maybe one day you’ll share your assertion the DDay Invasion would never have happened if not for the 1862 Battle of Memphis and receive the recognition you deserve.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16266 on: July 04, 2019, 10:50:32 PM »

My son, Bear, posted this earlier.

He’s a much better man than I and that’s all any dad could hope.

We should all be able to celebrate Independence Day. Who doesn’t love grilled things and revelry. I’m Black, so you know cookouts are my jam.

But, it is damn near impossible to do so knowing that we live in a country with an abusive, racist, megalomaniac as our leader. A country where we are forcing human beings into concentration camps, again. A country where police are still killing indiscriminately. And, a world where climate change is rapidly careening our society toward oblivion, just to name a few.

We look at these macro-indications of our societal health and we despair. We must rail against the injustice of our nation. We rattle swords. We speak truth. We refuse to celebrate a nation so clearly in decline.

When I’ve, personally, done all of that, I’m still left with this hollow feeling: What can I do?

This is the most important question I ask myself every day. What can I do? After donating to campaigns and national organizations to fight these very real issues - What can I do? It is in these moments that I remember that it’s the smaller things, the less sexy, the more localized moments, the ones I can’t promote, where I can make a real difference.

Am I pushing myself to use my privilege to help those with less than me in my every day interactions? Am I respecting the mental health issues of those around me without judgement or stigma? Am I conscious of the types of people I give my time and talent to and am I intentional in those choices? Am I calling out the abuses I witness and amplifying the voices of those who see what I can not? Am I speaking out in my every day life when it would be easier to stay silent?

These are just some of the questions I try to ask myself every moment of every day. My personal fight to make this nation, this world, a better place. It’s not about recognition as an ally. It’s not about visibility within the movement. It’s about pushing myself to do what’s right every day.

I fail, often. This is not a linear path. There are peaks and valleys. But, in the end, if folks can say about me, “he was not a nice person, but a good person,” I will have done my job.

Happy Independence Day. We all have the agency to make a small difference and those differences add up. The collective fight is in the individual moments. Independence does not manifest solely by escaping the tyranny of our oppressors, it manifests through making the hard, personal, everyday decisions that push your corner of the world to be better.

Choose independence.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16267 on: July 04, 2019, 11:48:30 PM »

Low turnout campaign rally for low energy twitler. Sad.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16268 on: July 05, 2019, 02:58:09 AM »

The weak ass administration has delivered us that rarest of gifts this July 4th, an inverted yield curve.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16269 on: July 05, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »

Actual footage...

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #16270 on: July 05, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »

What about "57 states"?!!!!
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #16271 on: July 05, 2019, 10:36:45 AM »

The US Border Patrol is not the SS. People are not attempting to leave the US in droves, quite the contrary.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16272 on: July 05, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »

The US Border Patrol is not the SS. People are not attempting to leave the US in droves, quite the contrary.

OK... if you say so.

By the way, ICE is like the SS.

Lyndon Johnson

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16273 on: July 05, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »

Jealous, huh?

Keep your nose to the grindstone, buppy.
Who knows? Maybe one day you’ll share your assertion the DDay Invasion would never have happened if not for the 1862 Battle of Memphis and receive the recognition you deserve.

Keep compounding your ignorance, 'Bama.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16274 on: July 05, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »

My son, Bear, posted this earlier.

He’s a much better man than I and that’s all any dad could hope.

We should all be able to celebrate Independence Day. Who doesn’t love grilled things and revelry. I’m Black, so you know cookouts are my jam.

But, it is damn near impossible to do so knowing that we live in a country with an abusive, racist, megalomaniac as our leader. A country where we are forcing human beings into concentration camps, again. A country where police are still killing indiscriminately. And, a world where climate change is rapidly careening our society toward oblivion, just to name a few.

We look at these macro-indications of our societal health and we despair. We must rail against the injustice of our nation. We rattle swords. We speak truth. We refuse to celebrate a nation so clearly in decline.

When I’ve, personally, done all of that, I’m still left with this hollow feeling: What can I do?

This is the most important question I ask myself every day. What can I do? After donating to campaigns and national organizations to fight these very real issues - What can I do? It is in these moments that I remember that it’s the smaller things, the less sexy, the more localized moments, the ones I can’t promote, where I can make a real difference.

Am I pushing myself to use my privilege to help those with less than me in my every day interactions? Am I respecting the mental health issues of those around me without judgement or stigma? Am I conscious of the types of people I give my time and talent to and am I intentional in those choices? Am I calling out the abuses I witness and amplifying the voices of those who see what I can not? Am I speaking out in my every day life when it would be easier to stay silent?

These are just some of the questions I try to ask myself every moment of every day. My personal fight to make this nation, this world, a better place. It’s not about recognition as an ally. It’s not about visibility within the movement. It’s about pushing myself to do what’s right every day.

I fail, often. This is not a linear path. There are peaks and valleys. But, in the end, if folks can say about me, “he was not a nice person, but a good person,” I will have done my job.

Happy Independence Day. We all have the agency to make a small difference and those differences add up. The collective fight is in the individual moments. Independence does not manifest solely by escaping the tyranny of our oppressors, it manifests through making the hard, personal, everyday decisions that push your corner of the world to be better.

Choose independence.

Anger a family trait, then.
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 4288