Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584995 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #17055 on: July 21, 2019, 09:23:38 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/21/politics/mueller-investigation-nadler-says-evidence-trump-guilty-high-crimes-misdemeanors/index.html

Oh, stop...

Justice isn't something that should be stopped.   Mueller carefully drew a map as to how Congress might hold Trump accountable for crimes.   It is the duty of Congress to follow up, especially given that the courts cannot while he is a sitting POTUS.

BTW, have you read the 400-plus page Mueller report?

No - nor do I profess to know its contents

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17056 on: July 21, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/21/politics/mueller-investigation-nadler-says-evidence-trump-guilty-high-crimes-misdemeanors/index.html

Oh, stop...

Justice isn't something that should be stopped.   Mueller carefully drew a map as to how Congress might hold Trump accountable for crimes.   It is the duty of Congress to follow up, especially given that the courts cannot while he is a sitting POTUS.

In which case, where the fuck do you get off saying "oh, stop..." in response to somebody who has read it?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #17057 on: July 21, 2019, 09:44:39 PM »

it seems kid wants to level the playing field and wishes for everyone to be as ignorant as he is.

barton

« Reply #17058 on: July 21, 2019, 09:54:08 PM »

Three of us here lived in Newton?  Which of the  13 villages, Josh?  We've got one Auburndale, and one Nonantum (though my parents, who never quite figured out the villages, seemed to think we were in Newtonville) so far.   Nonantum was called The Lake, though they had mostly filled the actual lake in by the time we left in 1970.  A friend wrote me and said it was gone the next year.   We were just a couple blocks from where Watertown, Waltham, and Newton all meet.   Amazing Italian food.  Good memories, good friends, trips to the Cape, science museum, a hundred historic places, meeting Isaac Asimov, etc. 

This intersection of former Newtonians seems to stretch laws of probability.  Perhaps Newtonian physics can explain this?

Re the article:  Surprised that Newton, with its outstanding school system, would be letting that kind of thing happen.   I don't think Israel has been a paragon in this whole mess, but that sort of biased material is not the way to teaching kids to find facts.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17059 on: July 21, 2019, 10:22:55 PM »

Three of us here lived in Newton?  Which of the  13 villages, Josh?  We've got one Auburndale, and one Nonantum (though my parents, who never quite figured out the villages, seemed to think we were in Newtonville) so far.   Nonantum was called The Lake, though they had mostly filled the actual lake in by the time we left in 1970.  A friend wrote me and said it was gone the next year.   We were just a couple blocks from where Watertown, Waltham, and Newton all meet.   Amazing Italian food.  Good memories, good friends, trips to the Cape, science museum, a hundred historic places, meeting Isaac Asimov, etc. 

This intersection of former Newtonians seems to stretch laws of probability.  Perhaps Newtonian physics can explain this?

Re the article:  Surprised that Newton, with its outstanding school system, would be letting that kind of thing happen.   I don't think Israel has been a paragon in this whole mess, but that sort of biased material is not the way to teaching kids to find facts.

We were in Waban, based on the map. I have zero memory of it!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #17060 on: July 21, 2019, 10:35:28 PM »

I had a friend who was an old Veteran, he was on a submarine during the Korean War, and when he was dying of Cancer we went to the VA hospital to visit him, and he was out in the hall naked when we arrived, they had his bed out in the hall with him naked. I was mad. I went and grabbed him a blanket and covered him up. He was good natured, and he had a wonderful sense of humor, and he managed to see it as being quite funny. Of course, he was on a ton of morphine, so he was happy.

He called me "Hollywood." He was a great guy.

I think that we need to improve healthcare for our Veterans. I think that a Vet should be able to go to any hospital that they want to go to. My friend lived in Culver City, and he could have very easily went to Cedars Sinai Hospital in Beverly Hills, which is the best hospital in the world.

Veterans need to be able to go to the hospital of their choice.

We need to give our Veterans the same health care that the members of Congress get.

The USA has great health care, and our Veterans need to have access to our best hospitals and they need access to our best doctors.

Salute,

Tony V.

By the time I made use of the VA in the mid90s things had improved dramatically under Clinton. No beds in the hallways. Caring doctors, things just deteriorated under Shinseki a classic token minority political hack. Many vets still prefer a health system of their own. Special problems and treatments related to wartime. Vets expected an improvement from the trickle down of Bush the younger, were they in for a shock.

---Obama said that because of record-keeping issues, the VA's problems had been obscured from his administration and Shinseki for a long time.

The president rejected a reporter's question about possible "scapegoating," saying that with the uproar around the VA's failings, he didn't want the agency's leader distracted by second-guessing and doubts about their tenure.---

How about a lack of interest? Credit for positive legislation is usually given to the administration when it was passed and not the administration that caused the issues that had to be rectified. Herbert Hoover for example is not given kudos for starting the new deal.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17061 on: July 21, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »

No question Obama could have put a lot more energy into the VA, Russian election meddling, and ending fossil fuel subsidies. These are all tasks ready for the next real president.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #17062 on: July 21, 2019, 11:56:37 PM »

We were in Waban, based on the map. I have zero memory of it!

You probably put the map in the glove compartment and then forgot about it.

Oh you meant,

Waban was a very nice residential area with a tiny downtown.

I have fond memories of Waban, got to 2nd base for the first time in Waban. Little did i know I would be stranded in scoring position for years.   

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #17063 on: July 22, 2019, 03:22:56 AM »

I’ll think of you Banks, if I ever find myself in Waban in Newton. I’ve only had scattershot experiences of Massachusetts to date.

Can trump keep his tits on till Wednesday?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #17064 on: July 22, 2019, 09:10:20 AM »

If you're in Nonantum, in Newton, try the Italian cuisine.   

I was a callow 13 when we left, so I had no base hits, though a lovely Armenian girl named Linda Yasighian had me taking a few practice swings at home. 

Other names that popped into memory - Brian or Thomas Vallely, Francis Colantonio, Steve Bronk, Vard Zerounian, and great math teacher Mr Siciliano.   Oh, and Ray Lavin.   I didn't know a Needle family, per an earlier query. 

If I were Mueller, I would enlarge my security detail for a few days.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #17065 on: July 22, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cnn-antifa-ice-glorified

Good people on both sides

Seeing the most extreme and anarchist fringes as emblematic of liberal democrats is a fallacy.  It's a form of propaganda:  tar everyone with one brush.   Make ordinary people who want quality healthcare for all, and humane treatment of asylum seekers, and clean air and water,  out to be crackpots.   

And white supremacists are not morally equivalent to Leftists who demonstrate against plutocracy and racism and ecological poisoning.   These are not two legitimate "sides" that deserve equal respect.
Both are super-fringe “ sides” that deserve equal contempt.

REDSTATEWARD is pro Racism, Plutocracy and poisoning of the planet.

We may have/should have already suspected, but after pages of obfuscation posted on this forum to just come out and say it? 

Have to respect the honesty, in a way.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #17066 on: July 22, 2019, 09:14:26 AM »

Oh, stop...

In which case, where the fuck do you get off saying "oh, stop..." in response to somebody who has read it?

Trump has said the report amounts to total exoneration.  What reason would anyone have to think Trump would lie about this?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #17067 on: July 22, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cnn-antifa-ice-glorified

Good people on both sides

Seeing the most extreme and anarchist fringes as emblematic of liberal democrats is a fallacy.  It's a form of propaganda:  tar everyone with one brush.   Make ordinary people who want quality healthcare for all, and humane treatment of asylum seekers, and clean air and water,  out to be crackpots.   

And white supremacists are not morally equivalent to Leftists who demonstrate against plutocracy and racism and ecological poisoning.   These are not two legitimate "sides" that deserve equal respect.
Both are super-fringe “ sides” that deserve equal contempt.

REDSTATEWARD is pro Racism, Plutocracy and poisoning of the planet.

We may have/should have already suspected, but after pages of obfuscation posted on this forum to just come out and say it? 

Have to respect the honesty, in a way.

Though it may be what's called a Kinsley gaffe.

oilcan

« Reply #17068 on: July 22, 2019, 10:02:39 AM »

The fact that Kid hasn't read the Mueller report, or apparently absorbed its implications, is precisely why Congress holds hearings of the kind starting Wednesday.   

Thanks for helping clarify this, KC!

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #17069 on: July 22, 2019, 01:50:21 PM »

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 4288