Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1873647 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #17490 on: July 29, 2019, 12:01:45 AM »

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/research-highlight-loss-arctics-reflective-sea-ice-will-advance-global-warming-25-years

Research Highlight: Loss of Arctic's Reflective Sea Ice Will Advance Global Warming by 25 Years
Fast mitigation may still avoid complete loss of sea ice

It is a global problem.

Not the only ice that’s melting

http://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/28/democrats-trump-impeachment-1438519
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17491 on: July 29, 2019, 12:37:32 AM »

It doesn't quite do that, but I expect that is the side they will come down on, ultimately, providing the precedent to a future president.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #17493 on: July 29, 2019, 02:12:18 AM »

And I prefer her letter to this crap. Don't you?

N.J. School Board Member: ‘My Life Would Be Complete’ If Rep. Rashida Tlaib Died

http://huffp.st/Yt21JR5?fbclid=IwAR1US-lsod5I5ykHeqKvOJJL51E_o_8a4apfs6QrDuieFaQLQYY-A5L4FSM

Vile deplorable racist some would say. Just a combat veteran trained to protect the country from its enemies others would exclaim.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17494 on: July 29, 2019, 02:19:12 AM »

N.J. School Board Member: ‘My Life Would Be Complete’ If Rep. Rashida Tlaib Died

http://huffp.st/Yt21JR5?fbclid=IwAR1US-lsod5I5ykHeqKvOJJL51E_o_8a4apfs6QrDuieFaQLQYY-A5L4FSM

Vile deplorable racist some would say. Just a combat veteran trained to protect the country from its enemies others would exclaim.
Half would be right. Not your half.
When your real enemies prove too strong, choose weaker enemies.

- William of Baskerville

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #17495 on: July 29, 2019, 04:05:41 AM »

If you can’t defend your country without vile deplorable racism, you don’t have much of a country to defend. The United States cannot be defended with vile deplorable racism. Vile deplorable racism only serves to weaken and degrade the position and capacities of the United States, increasing our vulnerabilities and the costs to undertake any action.

The dude in NJ is definitely a guy who should not be teaching American students. Maybe he should look at solar installations. The pay is better. He can say much more of what he wants. Solar Power is Civic Defense.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #17496 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »

LOL Unless you ignore the wage increases which have largely benefitted the lower job holders.  The latest GDP number beat the forecasts due to increased consumer spending to the point of reaching its highest level of confidence since the Clinton years.

LOL at yourself, REDSTATEWARD.  More 3+ quarters of GDP growth and higher job growth under Obama but you think your contention that the economy only "took off" after Trump is supported by modest wage increases?  LOL again.

And look at what we have given for it.  Blowing up the deficit with tax cuts that amounted to giveaways to the wealthy, raping the environment while doing nothing about global warming (not even car makers want to follow Trump down that hole) allowing banks to run roughshod over consumers again, and trade wars that are doing permanent damage as China finds other sources for their goods, all so that we can have modest wage growth that is still below target and less than what would be expected in an economy that has been at or near full employment since before Obama left office.

Not to mention the argument that modest wage growth also justifies support for a racist dangerously unqualified "president" who is dividing the country while actively undermining democracy not just at home but abroad. 

Keep waiving that foam finger REDSTATEWARD! 

LOL.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #17497 on: July 29, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »

Trump's corporate tax cuts and de-regulations put jet fuel into an already well running economy, and was a huge gift to the wealthy. How many more tax cuts or stripping away of safeguards will be needed when the economy eventually slows, and we as a nation are drowning in debt? This is a time to be fiscally conservative and paying down debt, rather than run it up, with irresponsible tax cuts for those who least need it. And Republicans know it, but are too afraid to argue against the idiot racist puppet President, and are beholden to thier donors.  The rainy days are coming, and it may be a fucking deluge, and the corps and wealthy have yachts to ride out the storm. 

The middle-class will receive the Republicans thoughts and prayers, and maybe some government issued paper towels.

Thumbs up. 

My only quibble is with the bold section.  Tax Cuts are the Republican answer to anything and everything, economy up and down, deficits up or down, we need more tax cuts!  This would be the case with or without Donald Trump.  In fact, you could argue that its Trump's going all-in on conservative dogma despite running against it in 2016 that is shielding him from investigations of his lawlessness. 

McConnell wouldn't be blocking impeachment and election security bills if Trump wasn't filling the courts with nutty judges, promising cuts to the social safety net, and hadn't delivered those tax cuts to his corporate overlords.

Or maybe he would, who knows.  Maybe like REDSTATEWARD rooting for the team is more important to McConnell than actual results.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #17498 on: July 29, 2019, 09:15:34 AM »

A majority say they have no plans to vote for the man, while a majority think he collided and/or obstructed justice in some way.

Well, then you are good for 2020.  Right?

Just wait it out - and we will all be fine.

Oh kiidcarter8 bless your dullard mind.

More people voted for the other candidate in 2016, and Trump is still "president" is he not?

barton

« Reply #17499 on: July 29, 2019, 09:31:12 AM »

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/research-highlight-loss-arctics-reflective-sea-ice-will-advance-global-warming-25-years

Research Highlight: Loss of Arctic's Reflective Sea Ice Will Advance Global Warming by 25 Years
Fast mitigation may still avoid complete loss of sea ice

It is a global problem.

Another positive feedback effect.  Particulates deposit on ice, which increases melting (by lowering reflectivity, or "albedo" as the science folk call it), which in turn increases heat trapping near the surface, which in turn melts more ice, which...etc.  I am not counting on increased low level cloud formation to slow the effect. 

And, the article doesn't mention this, but there are methane hydrates beneath some of the melting ice fields which will destabilize and release methane, a GHG that is far more potent than CO2.   People don't understand that scientists are being very restrained in the predictions they make from climate change computer models.   

barton

« Reply #17500 on: July 29, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »

Half would be right. Not your half.

Troll Rule #1:

Feed them and they will grow.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: July 29, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »

When I first read that comment by the N.J. school board member, my first instinct was to post something snarky like "I thought Luee lived in Florida," but I said to myself not even he would attempt a defense of that kind of comment.  Yet, several posts later there he was defending it.

Sometimes it's best to go with your instincts. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:49:31 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: July 29, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »

LOL Unless you ignore the wage increases which have largely benefitted the lower job holders.  The latest GDP number beat the forecasts due to increased consumer spending to the point of reaching its highest level of confidence since the Clinton years.

LOL at yourself, REDSTATEWARD.  More 3+ quarters of GDP growth and higher job growth under Obama but you think your contention that the economy only "took off" after Trump is supported by modest wage increases?  LOL again.

And look at what we have given for it.  Blowing up the deficit with tax cuts that amounted to giveaways to the wealthy, raping the environment while doing nothing about global warming (not even car makers want to follow Trump down that hole) allowing banks to run roughshod over consumers again, and trade wars that are doing permanent damage as China finds other sources for their goods, all so that we can have modest wage growth that is still below target and less than what would be expected in an economy that has been at or near full employment since before Obama left office.

Not to mention the argument that modest wage growth also justifies support for a racist dangerously unqualified "president" who is dividing the country while actively undermining democracy not just at home but abroad. 

LOL.
Actually, the latest numbers were lower than expected  because there was an economic contraction, which was overcome only by consumers rush buying before more tariffs kicked in.
When your real enemies prove too strong, choose weaker enemies.

- William of Baskerville

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #17503 on: July 29, 2019, 10:50:02 AM »

Dammit.  Trump went to Wharton.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: July 29, 2019, 10:59:52 AM »

LOL.
Actually, the latest numbers were lower than expected  because there was an economic contraction, which was overcome only by consumers rush buying before more tariffs kicked in.

Yup.  And Fed confirming that it is planing an interest rate cut.  Always a sign that the economy is booming!
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 4288