Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2593 2594 [2595] 2596 2597 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1637840 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38910 on: June 18, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »

Bolton alleging that Trump gave his approval to China's detention camps in their Muslim far west, and that Trump asked China's leader to buy more farm products to help his reelection bid.

Wow!

How is this shocking?

Helps our farmers as well.

It wasn't in the context of a trade deal between the US and China.  Trump wasn't asking China to buy more farm products and in return he would give them better terms (in fact, if you look at the history of the conversation relayed by Bolton, its the opposite.  Trump proposed keeping the terms the same.)

It was openly about his election.  Trump was asking for a personal favor.  If you don't see that as highly problematic in terms of what China would then ask in return, well...I'm not going to bother telling a Trumpist why Trump is corrupt.  Ultimately, for you guys, thats the point.

heh

the humanity!!!

Imagine if Trump ever tried to get other nations to buy more American made cars....

Imagine if Trump ever offered to trade your life for more support.

You are such an ass.

Now, now...

No need for that

Unless it makes you feel better....

(which is sad)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38911 on: June 18, 2020, 12:58:14 PM »

Cream of Wheat chef is now on the chopping block,  too.   Apparently the purpose of African Americans is not to serve us our meals.   Expect angry tweets ahead.

Santitas chips lady is safe,  so far.   That's a relief.   I love that sexy smile and arched eyebrows,  as if holding ears of corn was pretty exciting.

What about the Pillsbury Doughboy? He's completely white! If they kill the Doughboy, the Eurocentric brigades will be up in arms!

Mrs. Butterworth? Straight up racist!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38912 on: June 18, 2020, 01:01:01 PM »

Bolton alleging that Trump gave his approval to China's detention camps in their Muslim far west, and that Trump asked China's leader to buy more farm products to help his reelection bid.

Wow!

How is this shocking?

It wasn't in the context of a trade deal between the US and China.  Trump wasn't asking China to buy more farm products and in return he would give them better terms (in fact, if you look at the history of the conversation relayed by Bolton, its the opposite.  Trump proposed keeping the terms the same.)

It was openly about his election.  Trump was asking for a personal favor.  If you don't see that as highly problematic in terms of what China would then ask in return, well...I'm not going to bother telling a Trumpist why Trump is corrupt.  Ultimately, for you guys, thats the point.

heh

the humanity!!!

Imagine if Trump ever tried to get other nations to buy more American made cars....

Guess you don't get it. It's not about selling products to help America. It was about selling product to help Trump. There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE that even a political novice should understand.

So for you...Head, meet sand.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38913 on: June 18, 2020, 01:13:21 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/ring-of-fire-solar-eclipse-set-to-blot-out-most-of-the-sun-this-weekend/ar-BB15zRNI?li=BBnb7Kz

Cue Johnny Cash!

The first of two solar eclipses in 2020 will turn the sun into a glowing "ring of fire" on June 21 (or June 20 depending on where you're located). People along a narrow band of the world will have the chance to see it firsthand.

An annular solar eclipse happens when the moon is too far away from us to completely hide the sun, leaving a circle of brightness around the moon. That is how it gets the poetic "ring of fire" nickname.

Here's where it can be seen. https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2020-june-21

It's important to know and remember that regardless of what happens during our lifetime, we are wholly insignificant passengers on the planet.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38914 on: June 18, 2020, 01:14:24 PM »

Wow!

How is this shocking?

heh

the humanity!!!

Guess you don't get it. It's not about selling products to help America. It was about selling product to help Trump. There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE that even a political novice should understand.

Sand is not actually what kiid has his head stuck in.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38915 on: June 18, 2020, 01:15:22 PM »

SCOTUS deal Trump another loss.
The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked the White House from terminating an Obama-era program designed to protect young immigrants from deportation.

President Trump rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in 2017, five years after it was created by former President Barack Obama. Under DACA, noncitizens brought to the country as children could apply for protection from deportation.

Thursday’s decision affects hundreds of thousands of undocumented immigrants, some of whom were working on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic as they awaited this decision.

Chief Justice John Roberts joined the four liberal-leaning justices on the court in a 5-4 ruling finding that the decision to end DACA was “arbitrary and capricious under the Administrative Procedure Act.”

https://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-daca-ruling-trump-154523990.html

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38916 on: June 18, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/ring-of-fire-solar-eclipse-set-to-blot-out-most-of-the-sun-this-weekend/ar-BB15zRNI?li=BBnb7Kz

Cue Johnny Cash!

The first of two solar eclipses in 2020 will turn the sun into a glowing "ring of fire" on June 21 (or June 20 depending on where you're located). People along a narrow band of the world will have the chance to see it firsthand.

An annular solar eclipse happens when the moon is too far away from us to completely hide the sun, leaving a circle of brightness around the moon. That is how it gets the poetic "ring of fire" nickname.

Here's where it can be seen. https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2020-june-21

It's important to know and remember that regardless of what happens during our lifetime, we are wholly insignificant passengers on the planet.
We saw the Great American Eclipse from the Oregon desert, directly dead middle of the band of totality. Awesome sight.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38917 on: June 18, 2020, 01:18:07 PM »

You have been refuted on this a number of times.  This was not Sweden's aim.

Initially it was.  Then like Britain they backed off somewhat.

April 14 article:
Parts of Sweden are on track to achieve so-called herd immunity from the novel coronavirus-caused COVID-19 disease within weeks, according to the man who devised the country's unusual strategy for dealing with the outbreak.

Anders Tegnell said the Swedish capital, Stockholm, will be among the first places to develop such immunity. He told local media infection rates in the city of 2.4 million people have already started to slow, because locals have developed resistance to the disease.

"According to our modelers, we are starting to see so many immune people in the population in Stockholm that it is starting to have an effect on the spread of the infection," he said.

He predicted herd immunity, the stage when enough people have immunity to a disease to make it difficult for the virus to infect new victims, will be achieved "some time in May".

Sweden has had relatively few restriction in comparison to other nations.
The nation has allowed primary and secondary schools to remain open and has not closed its borders. In addition, people have not been asked to stay indoors.

The result has been a relatively uninhibited spread of the disease and a fairly high death rate.

Sweden’s state epidemiologist has said the country has been “surprisingly slow” at achieving herd immunity.

An analysis by Werlabs AB of 50,000 tests showed that only 14 per cent of those living in the Stockholm region tested positive for coronavirus antibodies.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38918 on: June 18, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »

Cue Johnny Cash!

We saw the Great American Eclipse from the Oregon desert, directly dead middle of the band of totality. Awesome sight.

I will forever remember what the sky looked like when i visited Botswana. It was nothing like anything you'd ever see in the USA. Nighttime in that part of the world is treat. (Except, you do have to mind the lions.)

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38919 on: June 18, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »

As for Aunt Jemima et al.
In China there's a brand of toothpaste I was fond of called Darlie.
And their logo is a shiny black man in top hat and tails, seen from the chest up.  After a while I thought how odd it was that a black man, with very white smile, was being used to sell a product to Chinese, who generally are pretty racist, but really don't think or care much about black people.

So I surmised that it used to be Darkie toothpaste and they made a tiny change when that became clearly offensive.  A few years later the internet picked up and I researched a little, and sure enough it used to be Darkie toothpaste started back in the colonial days, when Shanghai and other major Chinese cities had international settlements.   So they merely changed one letter and switched Darkie toothpaste to Darlie.  Adn adjusted the bug-eyed racist black guy to a dapper black man logo.

Kind of unbelievable.  Even worse the brand has been owned by P&G for decades, and only switched from the Darkie name in 1989.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38920 on: June 18, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »

Like the US, much of Sweden's troubles with the virus are in nursing homes.  `It has been, like NYC, their great failure.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38921 on: June 18, 2020, 01:50:24 PM »

Wow!

How is this shocking?

heh

the humanity!!!

You are too generous.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38922 on: June 18, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »

The virus tends to mostly kill the weakest and most vulnerable.
So when viral transmission isn't mitigated properly it spreads throughout a society and finds its way to the old and sick.  Basically an inevitable result of not taking the virus seriously and not taking full precautions to stop the virus.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38923 on: June 18, 2020, 01:57:46 PM »

Sure

So if you are weaker, older I would sure think twice about attending the Trump really.

Unless, like some, you have decided that you will live your life - risk and worry be damned.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38924 on: June 18, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »

But the president told the Journal that for all the backlash, “I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous.”

Trump suggested that news coverage of the rally brought much-needed attention to the date, even though all but two U.S. states officially mark the day, also known as Emancipation Day.

“It’s actually an important event, an important time,” Trump argued, “But nobody had ever heard of it.”

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiENJcMUKaWxiXa7uc2K6jjRQqGQgEKhAIACoHCAow4Zn5CjCu8uACMLTRlgY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Yeah! Did Lincoln do THAT!

What an embarrassing era of political history we live in!
Pages: 1 ... 2593 2594 [2595] 2596 2597 ... 4288