Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2536 2537 [2538] 2539 2540 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1656070 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38055 on: June 12, 2020, 02:57:49 PM »

Remeber when Trump's presidency started and Melania stayed back in NYC for a while?  She said she needed to care for Baron.  Apparently that was her purpose, as a new book says that she took that time to renegotiate her pre-nup so baron would be an equal heir. 

Seems like a nice little power play.  She knew that Trump would need her to come to DC for both his sanity and general PR.  Also a lot of ugliness came out how Trump was paying off hookers and such.   So Melania reportedly decided to improve her stakeholding.   I guess she knew that post-presidency Trump could be worth a lot more and might not live too much longer.

The book says that they are alike, both loners and calculating and image conscious.
A rather Trumpian business move by Melania while she had leverage.

ahhh... post presidency Trump.

Imagining where the Trump library might be.

Makes me chuckle.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #38057 on: June 12, 2020, 03:26:18 PM »

News Item

Strong majorities of Americans oppose the movement to “defund the police” and some of its most significant goals, specifically reshuffling funding away from law enforcement to support mental health, housing and education programs, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll released Friday finds.

Nearly two-thirds of Americans oppose calls for defunding police departments, compared to 34% who back the movement, and 60% specifically oppose reducing the budget for police to reallocate it to other public health and social programs, while 39% support that move.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38058 on: June 12, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »

Can an illiterate President have a library?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38059 on: June 12, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »

Shame that you good people don't watch FOX, thus missed the POTUS interview with Ms. Faulkner.

This is the problem with Trump being a congenital liar.  At some point people interested in getting real information about what is happening will stop watching.

Maybe you could elaborate on what was said in that interview that you think has value.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38060 on: June 12, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »

I'm still stunned that Trump lied about not having any business dealings with Russia while he was negotiating a Moscow mega-project that would require Putin's blessing -- and Trump paid no price for this.  (the latter part is what shocks me).

And then once in office Trump is oh so gentle with Putin.
The list of gifts to Putin is long.  Off the top of my head:
- trying to get Russia back into the G7/8.
- pulling thousands of US troops out of Germany
- raising oil prices
- no/minimal investigation of Russian election interference
- jerking around the Ukraine President
- pretending Ukraine hacked the Dems, not Russia
- not giving two shits about Crimea
- heaping praise on Putin frequently
did Trump try to ease sanctions on Russia ?
There's likely more.

Syria.  We only literally gave up bases so that they could be used and occupied by Russia.

And yes Trump did try to ease sanctions, and likely would have if the election scheming had not come to light so soon after he took power.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/27/us-lifts-sanctions-oleg-deripaska-russia
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:46:26 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38061 on: June 12, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »

Shame that you good people don't watch FOX, thus missed the POTUS interview with Ms. Faulkner.

I'm not one of the good people, as I do watch Fox. I am unclear why you write it as FOX, as Fox doesn't stand for anything.

I provided a quote from the interview. You just didn't read it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38062 on: June 12, 2020, 03:50:18 PM »

Can an illiterate President have a library?

Picture books. Recordings. And official papers that others did on his behalf.

No problem.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38063 on: June 12, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »

This is the problem with Trump being a congenital liar.  At some point people interested in getting real information about what is happening will stop watching.

Maybe you could elaborate on what was said in that interview that you think has value.

This is part of the interview. I quoted it yesterday:
"It means two things. Very different things," Trump continued. "One is if there's looting there's probably going to be shooting, and that's not as a threat, that's really just a fact because that's what happens. And the other is if there's looting there's going to be shooting. There's -- they're very different meanings. No, there's very different meanings."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38064 on: June 12, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/politics/trump-juneteenth-tulsa-rally-coronavirus/index.html

So much for the press sec'y's claim of the importance of Juneteenth to Trump.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38065 on: June 12, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »

Sure, maybe - if you earn it.

Need some pinatas to swing at, do you?`

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38066 on: June 12, 2020, 04:32:58 PM »

Yeah, the Syria pullout was a boon to Russia.
I had that in my mental list and then forgot to type it out.

I would have supported pulling out of Syria, and letting Russia and Turkey fight over the carcass, if it didn't mean screwing over our Kurdish allies.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38067 on: June 12, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »

A genuine fear is emerging among many moderates. That Trump will use the rhetoric of the radical left with "defunding the police", "gun control",  "reparations", et alia to rouse enough votes to get reelected.

Pump the brakes. Get Biden and the House and Senate Dems elected first. Then enact your reforms.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38068 on: June 12, 2020, 05:17:08 PM »

I'm not going to find tit for tat examples of the left media lying and knowing they were lying. They're out there but I'm not here to delineate some sort of line that proves one side is "worse" than the other. I'm here to say they are both biased and yes both lie. A definite and willful distortion of the truth is lying and both sides do it. I'm not here to rah rah rah for either of them. I find both sides of this media war "deplorables".

Do you think this sort of political discussion - which side lies more - can ever find any real objective arbiter that both sides would accept as such?   For sure,  no one wants to come here and do heavy lifting on statistics,  fact checks,  independent press audits,  ad infinitum.   Most people have some sort of gut feel they go with,  or they point to the judgment call of their favored pundit or pundits.   Or they just listen to NPR and try to discern some patterns in the info flood.   

I live in a state full of conservatives  (Thune is one of my senators),  so I know some who are just decent honest people whose guiding principle is that federal level governance doesn't work well,  and less is generally more.   They find news feeds that feed that ideology,  and ignore those that don't.   I would ask them, and you:  do you think that approach will take you into a bubble (or an information silo,  as some call it)?   Does it make sense to put down the National Review on occasion,  and pick up The Guardian,  or Mother Jones?   Or should we all just read straight news,  like AP?

I'm a regular here,  so I am glad to see people coming over from sports threads,  and maybe toss in some perspectives that fall between Redstateward and Josh,  on the conservative end.   It could be fun to examine some underlying assumptions we have about government, capitalism,  freedom,  and the dignity of individuals.

I do watch both news. And I try to filter out what is right and what may be questionable as anyone should be doing. Both sides are strongly biased IMO. FOX embellishes to the max. CNN and the other national media outlets embellish as well. But their primary forte is simply not reporting on some news stories at all. Thus they can't be accused of embellishing if they simply don't report it at all. It's all tactics. 

My hope has been that someone or "someones" would come along an attempt some actual healing in this country. But nobody in the country seems very interested in that. Both sides seem so entrenched that any hope of dialog is fantasy at this juncture. We've seem to have become a nation of nonwaivering uncomprovising hate. On both sides.

I was encouraged by the taping of the Chicago Aldermen and their lamentations of the destructions in their precincts.

Before you heal a wound you have to stop the bleeding.

You make a valid point Larry. And so the hateful infighting needs to stop. Which was my point.

Captain David Dorn, who was murdered by a Black protester, was buried yesterday. Not one mention about this on Liberal AOL media(or yany of the so-called mainstream media outlets) because it does not fit their obvious agenda. Which attests to my observation of the left's tactics of simply acting like some things just haven't happened. Someone asked me for examples of the left media lying. This is one. To not report the other side of the canvas is indeed a form of lying.

And hand waiving moderates at this point are as invisible to both sides as that story was to AOL, and the rest. Our country is indeed bleeding and nobody seems to want to step back and talk. Or listen.

Bruh...

There have been three arrests in the murder of Captain Dorn.

He wasn’t shot by Black protestors he was killed by FUCKING CROOKS who were being crooks.

Step back and talk?

How many times have we tried to talk?

NFL players tried to do this peacefully and the President said “get that sonuvabitch of the field! He’s fired!”

Ya didn’t want to talk when the opportunity was there.

Now, just shut up and listen.

Read the room, Grandpa.

No room for disagreement or more nuanced views allowed here, right, Larry?
You are becoming what you profess to loathe. You want inclusion but only thru exclusion.

That is hardly the way to gain allies.

I don’t need allies.

I need accomplices.

Dig?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38069 on: June 12, 2020, 05:18:23 PM »

You guys,  Cargo in particular, may find this interesting.

Potemkin journalism...

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/06/conspiracy-mainstream-media-trump-farage-journalism/612628/

When journalism is hijacked by activists, a phrase like that is often invoked. To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson: The louder someone talks about how “the mainstream media won’t cover this,” the faster you need to count your spoons. Nothing is so flimsy, so overspun, or so poorly sourced that it cannot be made to look like a scandal by conjuring the specter of a vast media conspiracy that’s repressing it. A story’s weakness becomes a strength: Other outlets’ refusal to follow up on it can be depicted as sinister. Viewers are seduced by the promise of access to hidden knowledge, which will ensure that they alone know what’s really going on....   

The example used in the article is British,  but it applies to this chat about "ignored" stories.

preach...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2536 2537 [2538] 2539 2540 ... 4288