Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 762033 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #1275 on: February 09, 2021, 04:00:03 PM »

Yes, a 50 yr old woman can marry a 12 yr old boy...and a 65 yr old man can marry a 12 yr old girl...legally, all they need is parental permission.

And a 42 yr old woman can marry a 14 yr old boy...I saw such a couple on Oprah or similar show one day...in the studio.

"Robbed of a childhood" was one thing mentioned in the YouTube videos.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1276 on: February 09, 2021, 04:06:11 PM »

#Cancel

Rush to Judgement?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 09, 2021, 04:08:24 PM »

WHO report states Covid-19 was likely transmitted to humans via a host animal or via frozen food....unlikely to have originated from a lab.
My policy of not buying from my supermarkets frozen food made in China is a good one.

There's no law saying I must embrace Chinese New Year...or Chinese anything.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 09, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »

Yes Bambu, life is hard for the poor and for the uneducated in the USA, and many are robbed of their childhoods.

After my Father died when I was 9, I worked twelve hours per day washing dogs so that I could eat and to help my family, at 10 years old I already knew what it was like to experience hunger, and to have to work for food.

And my Brother also grew up without a Father to guide him, and he was a Father at 14.

The USA is a hard nation for the poor and for the uneducated.

There is also the issue of drugs and gangs, the poor and uneducated teens in the bad neighborhoods are killing each other.

Salute,

Tony V.,

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 09, 2021, 04:15:03 PM »

I'll give the Trump defense team, Castor and Schoen, a lot of credit for emotionally slinging a ton of bullshit at the wall.

Just forget about the attack on the Capitol.

I thought Castor was full of it but Schoen is litigating by bluster.

Schoen stipulating that the events of Jan 6th did occur and that they can be accurately categorized as a riot puts trump on the hook for class 3 felony incitement of a riot, putting the matter squarely into the high crime category as defined by Castor.

It’s no wonder trump will be stiffing these guys for whatever compensation they were expecting.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 09, 2021, 04:21:32 PM »

Trump might want up regretting not hiring this forum's constitutional scholar to do his bidding.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 09, 2021, 04:27:51 PM »

The Constitution only calls for the Chief Justice to preside over impeachment of a president, not over all impeachments. This is a former president and I would have been surprised to see Roberts preside.

They are impeaching him as President.  This is the entirety of their case.

Justice Roberts states his negative stance on even having a trial by not presiding.

Ga 'head - tear that one apart

heh

Sure.

They are both stupid arguments.

They are trying him as a former president. He is not president. His actions were done as president. But you can't have it both ways saying, "too close to the end of his term, so let's not do it," and "he's out, so now we can't.

And if he is not the president, then Roberts is not the presider. That simple - it was never in question. Roberts has not ruled that one cannot and, indeed, given that the Senate has tried a former Secretary of War, the evidence that you can try a former federal official is clear.

And that former federal official was not tried with the Chief Justice presiding.

Look, this is argued on both sides and probably more than two, Kid. I understand that your side wants to claim it is unconstitutional to try him after he is out.

But either it is unconstitutional and therefore there should be nobody presiding at all or it is constitutional and it should not be Roberts. The middle ground that it should be Roberts is untenable.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 09, 2021, 04:28:33 PM »

Yes Bambu, life is hard for the poor and for the uneducated in the USA, and many are robbed of their childhoods.

After my Father died when I was 9, I worked twelve hours per day washing dogs so that I could eat and to help my family, at 10 years old I already knew what it was like to experience hunger, and to have to work for food.

And my Brother also grew up without a Father to guide him, and he was a Father at 14.

The USA is a hard nation for the poor and for the uneducated.

There is also the issue of drugs and gangs, the poor and uneducated teens in the bad neighborhoods are killing each other.

Salute,

Tony V.,

There should've been, and should be today, federal govt offices (in my world, Centrelink) where your family could've gone to for financial assistance for food and shelter.
Unemployed, and/or homeless, hungry.

www.centrelink.gov.au
www.servicesaustralia.gov.au

www.humanservices.gov.au>families
'Payments and services to help you when you're having a baby and raising children'.

Republicans should take note.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 04:30:31 PM by bambu. »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 09, 2021, 04:31:48 PM »

Jamie Raskin relating the unconscionable  use of the American flag as a spear1 on Jan 6

(But never utters a public word when the flag is dragged along the ground or burned2)

Familiarize yourself with the term "false equivalency".

The first1 is an act of violence, and the latter2 is an act of protest. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Raskin's comments were clearly denoting the "how could you?" level of the use of THE FLAG in such manner - the insult of it - which is EQUAL in each instance - even greater, I'd argue in the latter
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 09, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »

The Constitution only calls for the Chief Justice to preside over impeachment of a president, not over all impeachments. This is a former president and I would have been surprised to see Roberts preside.

They are impeaching him as President.  This is the entirety of their case.

Justice Roberts states his negative stance on even having a trial by not presiding.

Ga 'head - tear that one apart

heh
So you believe a Chief Justice has the power to thwart impeachment trials by recusing himself? Find me that in the Constitution.
A parrot bit me.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 09, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »

People wear flag shirts, flag bandanas, flag socks, flag underwear... desecrating the flag is a non-issue.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 09, 2021, 04:42:24 PM »

I'll give the Trump defense team, Castor and Schoen, a lot of credit for emotionally slinging a ton of bullshit at the wall.

Just forget about the attack on the Capitol.

I thought Castor was full of it but Schoen is litigating by bluster.
When you have the facts, argue the facts. When you have the law, argue the law. When you have neither try to confuse everyone
A parrot bit me.

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 09, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »

Re:  Raskin on the flag...

The use as a spear is actual violence. 

The burning is symbolic.

Raskin is,  it would seem,  decrying actual violence.   

You are not obligated,  when pointing out one wrong,  to have made sure you pointed out other forms of wrong (which may not even be wrong,  if you accept our constitution) 

Our laws,  as you've noticed,  forbid violence but do not forbid protest and symbolic acts done as protest.   

Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 09, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »

People wear flag shirts, flag bandanas, flag socks, flag underwear... desecrating the flag is a non-issue.

Burning the flag in public is a totally different thing.
Anyone doing it should be arrested and sent to a re-education camp...nice one of course.
First re-education lecture should be the movie "Not Without My Daughter".

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1289 on: February 09, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »

Re:  Raskin on the flag...

The use as a spear is actual violence. 

The burning is symbolic.

Raskin is,  it would seem,  decrying actual violence.   

You are not obligated,  when pointing out one wrong,  to have made sure you pointed out other forms of wrong (which may not even be wrong,  if you accept our constitution) 

Our laws,  as you've noticed,  forbid violence but do not forbid protest and symbolic acts done as protest.

quite

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 2929