Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764894 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #3345 on: March 10, 2021, 02:56:37 PM »

A lot of teachers write books

A few.

Not a lot.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3346 on: March 10, 2021, 03:14:45 PM »

"Most transformational legislation in our lifetimes..."

Speaker Pelosi

(Who will one day have a building name for her on the Hill.)
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3347 on: March 10, 2021, 03:18:47 PM »

HR 1319 just passed the House

This is a BIG FUCKING DEAL as a former VP once said.

I truly believe the filibuster, as we know it, is destined to go away.

Well, the Dems own that "BIG" deal, and now it will be up to the American people to decide if that partisan passed law was worth it. Only  time will tell.

Republicans could have at least tried to meet Biden half way.

Democrats own this and unlike ACA and 2009 Stimulus people are gonna start feeling this right away..
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: March 10, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »

"Most transformational legislation in our lifetimes..."

Speaker Pelosi

(Who will one day have a building name for her on the Hill.)

For shepherding us through the intergenerational disaster known as reaganomics.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: March 10, 2021, 03:23:56 PM »

COVID-19 has helped to point this out, but it is unclear that it has pointed it out sufficiently to the people who most need to be convinced.

And... despite my agreeing with this, the "education" "system" still needs to be overhauled to a frightening degree.

What is the average US secondary school teacher bringing down?

It really depends on where one teaches.  But then you have to consider that many, many schools in the USA do not provide budgeting for classroom supplies, and teachers often do so themselves. Also, the COLA in NY is a lot different than Mississippi. And there are other forms of support in schools like in the great state of NJ---education foundations, for example. They don't exist in most states.

Here is some data for you to sift through: https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/which-states-have-the-highest-and-lowest-teacher-salaries/2019/04

If properly done any supplies bought comes back at least partially on taxes.

Call it a trade-off with perks like additional funds for coaching 7th grade field hockey.

If properly done any supplies bought comes back at least partially on taxes.

Untrue. Trump Tax Law changed that. "Perks".

Heh

Look, kid, you've strayed into something that I know way too much about.

The first mistake we make in this area is looking at school as though they are businesses. They are not. The second mistake is we run them by politicians. School board members are politicians, no matter what they say about why they wish to serve.

The qualifications to be a school board member are generally that you are of voting age, and you live in the community.

So, now, those folks with all that education, expertise, skill, understanding of their subject matter and the children with whom they are charged potentially have to report to an 18 year old plumber's apprentice who just graduated high school last June in order to justify their professional practice or to determine their classroom or school's needs.

So there is that.

And there is every governor of every state who likes to stick his or her nose into a circumstance of which they have no real comprehension.

Let's consider, too, that educators like some have mentioned here, who are in it for the "3 months vacation" are generally unprofessional in their ambitions. Sure, they are employed, and they may do an "adequate job", but they are generally not striving to be a true professional.

You see, everyone thinks they can teach because they went to school for 12-18 years and they observed teachers. That's like saying that everyone knows how to play MLB because they've been watching it for 30-36 years.

Let's consider the goal of most school boards is keep taxes down and real estate values up. That's some tricky turf, there. The incentives to make the "best schools" are to make things appear as though the schools are actually educating students. Hence, in the last 25 years, the reliance on test scores and "data collection" to show how well students are learning. That could not be more wrong-headed an approach, as the focus becomes data---and it is no longer on the individual students themselves.

Kids are not all the same. They do not share the same interests, ideas, orientation to the world, or desire to learn. They do not all respond to the same kind of teaching. The learning has to be relevant to them. Yet, school boards, parents (we don't have time to discuss their "contributions" to the current mess in so many school habitats) believe that data tells the real story of learning.

It doesn't.

When schools decide that they are truly about education, they will toss standardized tests out, they will chuck any program that is "data driven" and they will do their best to fund educators who first work from their students' interests, needs, desires, and individual strengths and weaknesses as learners.

And you won't have any trouble hiring real professionals who want to work in that environment. And you won't need teachers' unions to combat the idiocy that comes from those politicized school boards.

And you will pay your taxes without complaint, because you'll understand that real education doesn't mean that everyone needs to or should go to college. Real education means that every person learns how to recognize and maximize their own unique talents and gifts so they can pursue their own interests and desires, and by doing so serve their community and the country as a whole.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: March 10, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »

HR 1319 just passed the House

This is a BIG FUCKING DEAL as a former VP once said.

I truly believe the filibuster, as we know it, is destined to go away.

Well, the Dems own that "BIG" deal, and now it will be up to the American people to decide if that partisan passed law was worth it. Only  time will tell.

Republicans could have at least tried to meet Biden half way.

Democrats own this and unlike ACA and 2009 Stimulus people are gonna start feeling this right away..

The GOP chose to do what it normally does for people. Nothing. That may have real consequences, too.

Each party made their best bet, and now the chips will fall where they may.

The risk/reward ratio will not be known for at least another year and a half, at best, IMO.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #3352 on: March 10, 2021, 03:42:49 PM »

Let's consider, too, that educators like some have mentioned here, who are in it for the "3 months vacation" are generally unprofessional in their ambitions. Sure, they are employed, and they may do an "adequate job", but they are generally not striving to be a true professional...

I'm going to GYTBOTD and figure you misunderstood what I posted on my schoolteacher daughter.   I didn't say she's "in it" for the summers off.   She values that time,  but is also quite professional, respected as an excellent teacher,  and far beyond "adequate."  Some of her summer pursuits include paid gigs in the field that she teaches, and heighten her professionalism. 

Hope that's sufficient clarification.   

facilitatorn

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #3354 on: March 10, 2021, 03:51:45 PM »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: March 10, 2021, 03:58:29 PM »

One important aspect of the relief bill Biden is about to sign is that it will require renewal in a year. As the programs enacted roll out they will grow more, not less popular and most sitting republicans will vote against it again next spring as they try to convince their constituents to let them keep their jobs.

It seems like the republican revolution against democracy is being effectively kettled by a little compassion and good government.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: March 10, 2021, 04:02:58 PM »

The History professors can make money by contributing to content on the History Channel, and I know for sure that as a producer the first person who I would go to for information on History would be a History professor. Along with writing books, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: March 10, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »

Let's consider, too, that educators like some have mentioned here, who are in it for the "3 months vacation" are generally unprofessional in their ambitions. Sure, they are employed, and they may do an "adequate job", but they are generally not striving to be a true professional...

I'm going to GYTBOTD and figure you misunderstood what I posted on my schoolteacher daughter.   I didn't say she's "in it" for the summers off.   She values that time,  but is also quite professional, respected as an excellent teacher,  and far beyond "adequate."  Some of her summer pursuits include paid gigs in the field that she teaches, and heighten her professionalism. 

Hope that's sufficient clarification.

I will no doubt be sorry I asked, but huh?

GYTBOTD?

Get
Your
Tasty 
Bacon
On
Tuesday 
Dinner

Bart can i get it with lettuce tomato and mayo on rye?

maybe a few chips and a diet coke

thanks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:22:24 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3359 on: March 10, 2021, 04:28:43 PM »

sheesh...

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 2929