Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 762642 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #4111 on: March 20, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »

Aren't there already laws against campaigning at polling station queues?   Which is why people handing out beverages are just providing physical support to those enduring extreme lines.   
 What possible reason could there be to make another law against campaigning when that's already on the books?  And so peculiar in its specificity? And why are the long lines in minority precincts -- why are people breezing through out in suburbia and other predom white districts?   

Finally,  and again I'd appreciate people reading my posted article before replying (it's real obvious when you skip it),  who on earth says to themself "wow,  that dude just gave me a bottle of water,  wow,  I'm changing political parties right here,  right now! "
A bi-partisan report after the 2018 mid-terms concluded that 6 per cent of the nation’s precincts reported long lines ( more than 30 minutes to vote) It was at 3 per cent in the 2016 Presidential Election.
But the 2018 elections drew the biggest turnout in 100 years. 
Minority populated precincts were more likely to wait longer.
But the reasons vary since each Board of Elections has different resources and budgets.

https://bipartisanpolicy.org/report/the-2018-voting-experience/

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: March 20, 2021, 05:41:26 PM »

Significantly less of a problem where you can vote early either in person or by mail.

http://www.salon.com/2021/03/19/ron-johnson-labeled-a-racist-by-his-colleagues-in-congress/

A major symptom characteristic of the R disease.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: March 20, 2021, 06:13:35 PM »

The YMCA Needs to Have Handball

Here is an idea for the YMCA; they need to have handball courts. Our local park tore out the handball courts because gang members were hanging out at the handball courts, and the police were afraid of drive-by shootings happening, and we had a few murders at the park, so the handball courts were removed, and now there is playground equipment for the children and the parks are for children with families now. And other parks all over Orange County are doing the same thing, they are all tearing out the handball courts. So the guys need a safe place to play handball, and the YMCA would be the perfect place for the young people to play handball and they can learn how to stay out of trouble, and they can get involved with the YMCA, etc.

When I was a teen the YMCA in Lancaster had racket ball. It would be great if the YMCA could have handball for the youth, and it will give them a chance to teach good things to the youth, the YMCA is a healthy environment for young people.

I will send some emails to the YMCA, and maybe you can all pass the idea of handball courts on to your friends at the YMCA.

Salute,

Tony V.

Gotta love the YMCA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K66UsUQd_0w

The Amazing Christopher "YMCA"...America's Got Talent
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:19:32 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: March 20, 2021, 07:03:07 PM »

I just want to hear one person give an honest answer to my post's closing question.   Yes or no,  do they agree with John Kavanagh that "everybody shouldn't be voting"?  A straight answer,  no evasions,  no tangents,  just tell me why they think Kavanagh is correct.  Closing polling stations in low income areas,  banning food or water handed to people in long lines,  etc.  -- tell me what justifies deterrence of voting.   Just be honest.   Just this once,  tell me what goal is served in a democracy by this kind of stuff?   And if it doesn't advance a democratic society,  again just be honest, I will listen,  and tell me what alternative system do you think would be better?

I don't have a problem with water in voting lines.  Even energy bars would be ok

Then bring your own.

Stop creating long lines at the polls. Voting shouldn't be hard.

Creating?

Not sure I get you.

Where you can vote early the ones waiting in line have done it to themselves.
Then you oppose your party's persistent efforts to make alternate.voting methods - mail in voting, drop boxes, early voting in person - harder?
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: March 20, 2021, 07:44:59 PM »

I just want to hear one person give an honest answer to my post's closing question.   Yes or no,  do they agree with John Kavanagh that "everybody shouldn't be voting"?  A straight answer,  no evasions,  no tangents,  just tell me why they think Kavanagh is correct.  Closing polling stations in low income areas,  banning food or water handed to people in long lines,  etc.  -- tell me what justifies deterrence of voting.   Just be honest.   Just this once,  tell me what goal is served in a democracy by this kind of stuff?   And if it doesn't advance a democratic society,  again just be honest, I will listen,  and tell me what alternative system do you think would be better?

I don't have a problem with water in voting lines.  Even energy bars would be ok

Then bring your own.

Stop creating long lines at the polls. Voting shouldn't be hard.

Creating?

Not sure I get you.

Where you can vote early the ones waiting in line have done it to themselves.
Then you oppose your party's persistent efforts to make alternate.voting methods - mail in voting, drop boxes, early voting in person - harder?
46 states have EXPANDED alternate voting methods.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:53:50 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: March 20, 2021, 08:06:36 PM »

Aren't there already laws against campaigning at polling station queues?   Which is why people handing out beverages are just providing physical support to those enduring extreme lines.   What possible reason could there be to make another law against campaigning when that's already on the books?  And so peculiar in its specificity?   And why are the long lines in minority precincts -- why are people breezing through out in suburbia and other predom white districts?   

Finally,  and again I'd appreciate people reading my posted article before replying (it's real obvious when you skip it),  who on earth says to themself "wow,  that dude just gave me a bottle of water,  wow,  I'm changing political parties right here,  right now! "

Well, the gist here is that the long lined polls are more slanted to Democratic voters

Not true?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: March 20, 2021, 08:32:54 PM »

Scoop: ICE securing hotel rooms to hold growing number of migrant families
https://www.axios.com/ice-hotel-rooms-border-migrant-families-7682092b-952c-428e-ae3b-f8b2d4072c0a.html

Illegals get 100$ a day accommodations while  Homeless vets and out of work barmaids get to kiss the pavement. Seems so perverse?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: March 20, 2021, 08:34:10 PM »

Aren't there already laws against campaigning at polling station queues?   Which is why people handing out beverages are just providing physical support to those enduring extreme lines.   
 What possible reason could there be to make another law against campaigning when that's already on the books?  And so peculiar in its specificity? And why are the long lines in minority precincts -- why are people breezing through out in suburbia and other predom white districts?   

A bi-partisan report after the 2018 mid-terms concluded that 6 per cent of the nation’s precincts reported long lines ( more than 30 minutes to vote) It was at 3 per cent in the 2016 Presidential Election.
But the 2018 elections drew the biggest turnout in 100 years. 
Minority populated precincts were more likely to wait longer.
But the reasons vary since each Board of Elections has different resources and budgets.

https://bipartisanpolicy.org/report/the-2018-voting-experience/

It's too logical a thought for them that with many more voting the lines might be jusssst a bit longer

Anyone complaining about 1/2 hour to an hour can suck an egg.

barton

« Reply #4119 on: March 20, 2021, 08:39:22 PM »

Aren't there already laws against campaigning at polling station queues?   Which is why people handing out beverages are just providing physical support to those enduring extreme lines.   What possible reason could there be to make another law against campaigning when that's already on the books?  And so peculiar in its specificity?   And why are the long lines in minority precincts -- why are people breezing through out in suburbia and other predom white districts?   

Well, the gist here is that the long lined polls are more slanted to Democratic voters

Not true?

How does that (fewer polling stations in blue areas = longer lines) call for laws making it even harder?   Still have yet to hear a coherent explanation that doesn't involve partisan warfare on voter access.   If the trend is towards more turnout,  and polls are supposed to be available to all registered voters, where is the logic of cutting polling stations where they are most needed?   People least likely to have cars, have to travel farther to vote?   I'd suggest caution how you use the word "logical. " 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: March 20, 2021, 08:54:40 PM »

Not true?

How does that (fewer polling stations in blue areas = longer lines) call for laws making it even harder?   Still have yet to hear a coherent explanation that doesn't involve partisan warfare on voter access.   If the trend is towards more turnout,  and polls are supposed to be available to all registered voters, where is the logic of cutting polling stations where they are most needed?   People least likely to have cars, have to travel farther to vote?   I'd suggest caution how you use the word "logical. "
A better warning for you since you show no cognizant understanding of voting in America.
No proposed laws call for making voter “ harder”.
Polls are available to all registered voters by early in-person voting, no fault absentee balloting, mail voting, and Election Day voting.
No one needs a car to vote, anymore.
And none of your posts contain data to buttress your arguments.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: March 20, 2021, 10:26:25 PM »

Please..

Can we hand the reins to Ms Harris now?

You're the same fellow who chided us for not using the proper term of respect for some GOP leader or another.

Trump, I think.

Too fucking funny.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: March 20, 2021, 10:46:25 PM »

???

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: March 20, 2021, 11:23:51 PM »

Not true?

A better warning for you since you show no cognizant understanding of voting in America.
Polls are available to all registered voters by early in-person voting, no fault absentee balloting, mail voting, and Election Day voting.

RED LIES AGAIN!

http://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-january-2021

Why does Red hate democracy, truth, and the good old U.S.A.?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #4124 on: March 20, 2021, 11:47:33 PM »

Not true?

RED LIES AGAIN!

http://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-january-2021

Why does Red hate democracy, truth, and the good old U.S.A.?

Conservatives hate the idea of America and democracy.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 2929