Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 762654 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #4125 on: March 21, 2021, 12:44:21 AM »

Scoop: ICE securing hotel rooms to hold growing number of migrant families
https://www.axios.com/ice-hotel-rooms-border-migrant-families-7682092b-952c-428e-ae3b-f8b2d4072c0a.html

Illegals get 100$ a day accommodations while  Homeless vets and out of work barmaids get to kiss the pavement. Seems so perverse?

Sure does.
Leftist govt in bambuland was housing those who'd paid people smugglers ...in resort hotels.
"The Monk" put a stop to all that...towed back the boats.
People smugglers all gone.
...until the next time a leftist govt is elected.

In your world...the ICE hotel rooms will soon all be full...what then...resort hotels most likely.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: March 21, 2021, 01:33:37 AM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: March 21, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »

MM told O they were married, by the Archbishop, in the garden several days before the wedding.
Not according to the Church of England and the Archbishop...according to them, the Archbishop did meet with the happy couple in the garden, ..to, and did discuss with them the upcoming church wedding.
MM seems confused about this too. MM seems confused about more than one thing she told O.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:20:48 AM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: March 21, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »

George W. Bush; too liberal to be a Republican.

But even if the 45th president himself fades from sight, there’s a new weird cultural frenzy seizing conservatives. The ancient three-legged stool of free-market economics, national security toughness, and social conservatism is now off balance; today’s conservatives are preoccupied with “wokeness” and “cancel culture,” and a racist zest for law and order and closing the borders. All these themes have been evident in conservative Republican politics for many years, but not in this shrill and dominant form.

That these trends seem alien to George W. and Jeb Bush isn’t a sign of some finicky Establishment disdain for “populism” so much as it may reflect the death of their ideological tradition in the fiery crucible that gave birth to its replacement. If Trumpism begins clearly to outlast Trump, and if the Bush brothers increasingly sound like voices from a far-distant political planet, a decisive shift in what it means to be conservative could be an accomplished fact.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/03/george-w-bush-is-too-liberal-for-the-republican-party.html

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: March 21, 2021, 10:17:04 AM »

Bambu, your posts have the same essence as a prolonged and wet fart on a packed train car, though they manage to provide less useful information to those unfortunate enough to be aware of them.

Oh, it's useful information ye be requiring.
Noted.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: March 21, 2021, 10:34:30 AM »

U.S. races to find bed space for migrant children as number of unaccompanied minors in government custody hits 15,500

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigration-migrant-children-in-border-patrol-custody-hits-15500/

"Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into !" Oliver Hardy 1930

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #4131 on: March 21, 2021, 10:45:49 AM »

Aren't there already laws against campaigning at polling station queues?   Which is why people handing out beverages are just providing physical support to those enduring extreme lines.   What possible reason could there be to make another law against campaigning when that's already on the books?  And so peculiar in its specificity?   And why are the long lines in minority precincts -- why are people breezing through out in suburbia and other predom white districts?   

Finally,  and again I'd appreciate people reading my posted article before replying (it's real obvious when you skip it),  who on earth says to themself "wow,  that dude just gave me a bottle of water,  wow,  I'm changing political parties right here,  right now! "

Well, the gist here is that the long lined polls are more slanted to Democratic voters

Not true?

How does that (fewer polling stations in blue areas = longer lines) call for laws making it even harder?   Still have yet to hear a coherent explanation that doesn't involve partisan warfare on voter access.   If the trend is towards more turnout,  and polls are supposed to be available to all registered voters, where is the logic of cutting polling stations where they are most needed?   People least likely to have cars, have to travel farther to vote?   I'd suggest caution how you use the word "logical. "
A better warning for you since you show no cognizant understanding of voting in America.
No proposed laws call for making voter “ harder”.
Polls are available to all registered voters by early in-person voting, no fault absentee balloting, mail voting, and Election Day voting.
No one needs a car to vote, anymore.
And none of your posts contain data to buttress your arguments.

Hundreds of posts here have had data.  And in fact,  my post which started the chat,  linked to a New Yorker article with relevant info.  Which I pointed out three times.  And,  as you know if you've followed the issues,  blacks tend to prefer in-person voting to mail,  which is part of the problem with cutting polling stations,  hours,  and Sundays in black neighborhoods.   

And no,  no sane politician is going to baldly state their bill makes voting harder.   They cloak it in lofty language about election integrity even as they know quite well that they are limiting minority access to the vote.     

And yes,  some people need a car,  because they live on a Reservation in,  say,  Arizona,  and the spotty mail system doesn't get their ballot delivered on time.   So someone with a functioning car collects ballots and drives an hour or more to a county dropoff...which is why AZ Republicans are trying to make this illegal.   

All this has been thoroughly discussed here.   Pretending you couldn't follow or remember that is pure trolling.   We're done.

barton

« Reply #4132 on: March 21, 2021, 10:51:05 AM »

Aren't there already laws against campaigning at polling station queues?   Which is why people handing out beverages are just providing physical support to those enduring extreme lines.   What possible reason could there be to make another law against campaigning when that's already on the books?  And so peculiar in its specificity?   And why are the long lines in minority precincts -- why are people breezing through out in suburbia and other predom white districts?   

Finally,  and again I'd appreciate people reading my posted article before replying (it's real obvious when you skip it),  who on earth says to themself "wow,  that dude just gave me a bottle of water,  wow,  I'm changing political parties right here,  right now! "

Well, the gist here is that the long lined polls are more slanted to Democratic voters

Not true?

How does that (fewer polling stations in blue areas = longer lines) call for laws making it even harder?   Still have yet to hear a coherent explanation that doesn't involve partisan warfare on voter access.   If the trend is towards more turnout,  and polls are supposed to be available to all registered voters, where is the logic of cutting polling stations where they are most needed?   People least likely to have cars, have to travel farther to vote?   I'd suggest caution how you use the word "logical. "
A better warning for you since you show no cognizant understanding of voting in America.
Polls are available to all registered voters by early in-person voting, no fault absentee balloting, mail voting, and Election Day voting.

RED LIES AGAIN!

http://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-january-2021

Why does Red hate democracy, truth, and the good old U.S.A.?

Conservatives hate the idea of America and democracy.

Because they hate the idea of brown people having a voice in our system.   White nationalism and democracy are incompatible.  Let Wise White Father rule.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: March 21, 2021, 10:55:38 AM »

Not true?

RED LIES AGAIN!

http://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-january-2021

Why does Red hate democracy, truth, and the good old U.S.A.?

Conservatives hate the idea of America and democracy.

Because they hate the idea of brown people having a voice in our system.   White nationalism and democracy are incompatible.  Let Wise White Father rule.

Beg to differ. If you are from northern Europe wait for your number. If you are from Africa waiting time is shorter.  From south of the border come right in your room is waiting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:00:19 AM by luee »
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: March 21, 2021, 11:36:20 AM »

Not true?

Hundreds of posts here have had data.  And in fact,  my post which started the chat,  linked to a New Yorker article with relevant info. 
Which I pointed out three times. 
it was an opinion piece with scarcely any relevant data 
And,  as you know if you've followed the issues,  blacks tend to prefer in-person voting to mail,  which is part of the problem with cutting polling stations,  hours,  and Sundays in black neighborhoods. 
There  is more in-person voting than at any time in our history with weeks of early voting including weekends.

And no,  no sane politician is going to baldly state their bill makes voting harder.   They cloak it in lofty language about election integrity even as they know quite well that they are limiting minority access to the vote.   

Again you offer no data.
Pew Research has. Over the last 20 years black turnout at the polls has been consistent between 12-13 per cent, right at the per cent of Black representation in the country.
Hispanic voting has gone from 7-13% in a group now representing 18 % of the country.
Asians, comprising 6 per cent of the population have increased voting from 2-4%.
The only demographic that has declined over the last 20 years according to Pew is white eligible voters, going down 9 points to 67 per cent.

And yes,  some people need a car,  because they live on a Reservation in,  say,  Arizona,  and the spotty mail system doesn't get their ballot delivered on time.   So someone with a functioning car collects ballots and drives an hour or more to a county dropoff...which is why AZ Republicans are trying to make this illegal.   

Ballot harvesting is not limited to Indian Reservations in Arizona and both parties have used the practice until it was declared illegal in 2016. The law was overturned in an appeals court but still is in effect until SCOTUS rules.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: March 21, 2021, 01:26:30 PM »

Hundreds of posts here have had data.  And in fact,  my post which started the chat,  linked to a New Yorker article with relevant info.  Which I pointed out three times.  And,  as you know if you've followed the issues, blacks tend to prefer in-person voting to mail,  which is part of the problem with cutting polling stations,  hours,  and Sundays in black neighborhoods.   

And they cant adapt?

Fuck that noise.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: March 21, 2021, 01:30:35 PM »

Fuck that noise!!!

I know your intellect is that of a 3-year old, but you don't have to keep proving it.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: March 21, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »

Government OF the people.   Supposed to adapt to us,  not the other way around.   If my bloc prefers in-person voting,  then my elected officials need to make that happen -- they work for us and we pay their salaries.   There are legitimate reasons that some minority voting blocs distrust the mail.   Fuck "adapting, "  leave the damn poll stations open and with hours convenient to working people.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

barton

« Reply #4138 on: March 21, 2021, 02:14:54 PM »

Government OF the people.   Supposed to adapt to us,  not the other way around.   If my bloc prefers in-person voting,  then my elected officials need to make that happen -- they work for us and we pay their salaries.  There are legitimate reasons that some minority voting blocs distrust the mail.   Fuck "adapting, "  leave the damn poll stations open and with hours convenient to working people.   

The bolded part... I would have thought was obvious.   Since lower income people tend to change address more,  they are more likely to not receive mail forms in time for an election.   Which means they often opt for getting in line.   Since this is supported by the DATA Ward claims to respect so much,  there's no reason legislators can't fix this.   In states with GOP majorities,  like GA and AZ,  they refuse to ease access because they know their policies suck and low-income  minorities will largely vote against them.   

TKTPS.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: March 21, 2021, 02:32:03 PM »

The unions need to send representatives to the Southern Border in order to tell the immigrants where the jobs are, they can set up offices with computers, and the immigrants can tell the union representatives what their skills are, and what kind of work they want to do, and then the unions can send the immigrants to where the jobs are.

I have a friend, and he is connected with a town in Mexico, and he supplies workers for companies, he can make a telephone call to the town in Mexico and they will send however many workers he wants. A lot of the Mexicans have a main guy who gets them the jobs and makes the deals, etc, you go to the main guy and you tell him how many workers you want, and he tells you how much the price is for the labor, etc. Like for instance, there might be twenty five Mexicans standing outside the paint store, and if you need guys to paint your house then you go up to the main guy and you tell him how many painters you want, and he tells you the price and he hooks you up with the workers. So we have that going on, that is like the Mexican version of an employment office here.

I also have friends from the Philippines, and they all help each other. And if you need workers, they can make a telephone call to the Philippines and they can get you however many workers you want. When I own my vineyard and winery in Italy someday, I will hire workers from the Philippines.

I looked on the web and the newest thing is "Indeed" but it is not as cool as the unions helping the immigrants to find jobs.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 02:38:26 PM by FlyingVProd »
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 2929