Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 751369 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #18240 on: October 14, 2021, 02:13:18 PM »

So Katie Couric has a new book with an interesting confession about journalistic integrity.
In an interview with Ruth Bader Ginsberg during the Colin Kaepernicke flack about athletes kneeling during the national anthem Couric reported Ginsberg described the kneeling athletes as dumb and disrespectful

But a more striking comment from Justice Ginsberg was left out.

Ginsburg told Couric she was opposed to the action, saying those who kneel during the anthem were showing contempt for a government that has made it possible for their parents and grandparents to live a decent life.

(Reported by the Daily Mail)

Couric said she admired Ginsberg and wanted to protect her.

Why a SCOTUS Justice known as the Notorious RBG would need
protection seems to be in conflict of why journalists ask questions in the first place.
It is up to the readers to make a judgement on the answers.

Seriously, are you just making stuff up now?  Please.  Did you actually read the book?
No.
But what does that have to do with what I posted?

If you're going to suggest RBG is someone who didn't think black people could legitimately protest taking a knee, you need a direct quote from her, not something you vaguely refer to as appearing in a British tabloid, with no link.  I am not asserting that she didn't say such a thing, just that it's a fairly extraordinary claim and it needs fairly extraordinary evidence. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18241 on: October 14, 2021, 02:19:10 PM »

So Katie Couric has a new book with an interesting confession about journalistic integrity.
In an interview with Ruth Bader Ginsberg during the Colin Kaepernicke flack about athletes kneeling during the national anthem Couric reported Ginsberg described the kneeling athletes as dumb and disrespectful

Ginsburg told Couric she was opposed to the action, saying those who kneel during the anthem were showing contempt for a government that has made it possible for their parents and grandparents to live a decent life.

protection seems to be in conflict of why journalists ask questions in the first place.

Seriously, are you just making stuff up now?  Please.  Did you actually read the book?
No.

If you're going to suggest RBG is someone who didn't think black people could legitimately protest taking a knee, you need a direct quote from her, not something you vaguely refer to as appearing in a British tabloid, with no link.  I am not asserting that she didn't say such a thing, just that it's a fairly extraordinary claim and it needs fairly extraordinary evidence.
Google Couric Ginsberg.  There are a multitude of different sources on this particular subject.
I didn

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18242 on: October 14, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »

No.

Google Couric Ginsberg.  There are a multitude of different sources on this particular subject.
I didn't learn that apostrophe thingy yet.
fify
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18243 on: October 14, 2021, 02:36:05 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18244 on: October 14, 2021, 03:02:27 PM »

No.

I didn't learn that apostrophe thingy yet.
fify
if Barton missed the meaning he would be pretty naive.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18245 on: October 14, 2021, 03:20:05 PM »

RGB was very much against having rape culture icons like Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh on the Court. She was right. Both crooked pieces of shit have done serious and continuing damage to the country.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #18246 on: October 14, 2021, 03:48:41 PM »

Bambu, my wealthiest friend would make every business succeed, she was awesome. She was from the Philippines. Maybe the Filipinos will move into the area and open the shops back up and the restaurants back up. The Mexicans are welcome too. My friend could easily open a successful Hawaiian Barbecue restaurant. She had a club named "Manila Gardens" in Los Angeles which was a very successful club. Everything she touched turned to gold. She was born wealthy, and she spent her whole life giving her money away. May she rest in peace, she was one of my heroes.

Salute,

Tony V.

I bet your friends from the Philippines and from Mexico spend their days actually working, instead of positing arcane theories on a message board all day while sitting in the public library, waiting to head down to the soup kitchen.

Life is different for the rich people. My wealthy friend from the Philippines spent her life doing service to help the poor and the needy as a Christian. She did business and was very successful, and she used her money and influence to help the poor. She would be the one cooking to feed the poor.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18247 on: October 14, 2021, 03:50:28 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/chicago-police-union-chief-tells-205300781.html

Chicago has a police problem.
Or at least a police union problem. I listened to a report on NPR that made the issue sound pretty familiar. I wonder how much of that is posturing around the City's refusal to negotiate the vaccine rules rather than issues with the vaccine itself.
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #18248 on: October 14, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »

OK,  I found multiple sources that report Couric did edit out remarks RBG made about her contempt for the anthem protest.   

According to her memoir, former ABC president David Westin advised Couric not to edit out Ginsburg's comments. Couric writes in the book that she "wanted to protect" Ginsburg and felt racial justice was her "blind spot."

Lawyer and legal commentator David Lat questioned Courics suggestion that Ginsburg was "elderly and probably didn't fully understand the question." Ginsburg was 83 at the time and perhaps the most prominent member of the courts liberal wing...

-- ABC News

Disappointing.   I think RBG understood the question.  And a competent journalist would not edit the answers out.  Its an interesting reveal that Notorious RBG wasnt situated politically where many assumed she was.   Should have been in the story.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18249 on: October 14, 2021, 03:58:02 PM »

No.

RBG direct quote was on the news today.

Live a little - access some sources.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18250 on: October 14, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »

Never mind - my bad

I think it was COURIC saying what Ginsberg had said - you won't be accepting of that.

Holly Martins

« Reply #18251 on: October 14, 2021, 04:06:10 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/chicago-police-union-chief-tells-205300781.html

Chicago has a police problem.
Or at least a police union problem. I listened to a report on NPR that made the issue sound pretty familiar. I wonder how much of that is posturing around the City's refusal to negotiate the vaccine rules rather than issues with the vaccine itself.

A lot.   Really doubt fifty percent of cops are going to refuse vax.   

And making it a privacy issue, pfft.   Its not like people are having privacy-sensitive medical procedures reported.   Its just a fucking jab, like many public servants in many areas have been required to do for various diseases for decades.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18252 on: October 14, 2021, 04:06:22 PM »

Bambu, my wealthiest friend would make every business succeed, she was awesome. She was from the Philippines. Maybe the Filipinos will move into the area and open the shops back up and the restaurants back up. The Mexicans are welcome too. My friend could easily open a successful Hawaiian Barbecue restaurant. She had a club named "Manila Gardens" in Los Angeles which was a very successful club. Everything she touched turned to gold. She was born wealthy, and she spent her whole life giving her money away. May she rest in peace, she was one of my heroes.

Salute,

Tony V.

I bet your friends from the Philippines and from Mexico spend their days actually working, instead of positing arcane theories on a message board all day while sitting in the public library, waiting to head down to the soup kitchen.

Life is different for the rich people. My wealthy friend from the Philippines spent her life doing service to help the poor and the needy as a Christian. She did business and was very successful, and she used her money and influence to help the poor. She would be the one cooking to feed the poor.

Salute,

Tony V.

Tony, do you think her life was different because she was rich or she made her life different by getting rich? 

Anyone who wants to change their life circumstances in America can do so.

Just ask Larry.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #18253 on: October 14, 2021, 04:08:47 PM »

Never mind - my bad

I think it was COURIC saying what Ginsberg had said - you won't be accepting of that.

But I do accept Courics veracity.  Just think she should have put that in the story back when it ran and not made herself a "protector" in a rather condescending way.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #18254 on: October 14, 2021, 04:10:28 PM »

Couric explained that she made the edits because she wanted to protect the liberal justice from public backlash - explaining that Ginsburg was "elderly" and probably didnt understand the question about the take a knee protest that occurred in the sports world

- McEnany, OUTNUMBERED, Fox News - 10/14/21

Couric -

"When it comes to these football players, you may fine their actions offensive...."

Ginsburg -

"Yes"

Couric -

"But what you are saying is its within their rights to exercise those actions..."

Ginsburg -

"If they want to be stupid there is no law to prevent them - if they want to be arrogant there is no law that prevents that"

(McEnany)  BUT GET THIS - Couric now admits that she left OUT the part where Ginsburg says that

THOSE THAT KNEEL FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM SHOW CONTEMPT FOR A GOVERNMENT THAT HAS MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR THEIR PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS TO LIVE A DECENT LIFE....(more)

Pages: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 ... 2924