Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 2872 2873 [2874] 2875 2876 ... 2917

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 741049 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #43095 on: August 22, 2024, 11:04:29 AM »

News Item

A federal court in Texas has thrown out the government
It was only a matter of time.

A federal court in Texas has thrown out the government  ban on noncompete agreements that was set to take effect September 4.

In her ruling, Judge Ada Brown of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas wrote that the federal agency had overstepped its power when it approved the ban.

The FTC lacks substantive rulemaking authority with respect to unfair methods of competition. The role of an administrative agency is to do as told by Congress, not to do what the agency think s  it should do.
I note you did not post the ruling from PA that upheld the rule.
Then you know how this will end.
No, I do not. But I do know when the SCOTUS threw out Chevron they opened the door for judges to bring in their own political biases rather then rely upon expertise.
A parrot bit me.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #43096 on: August 22, 2024, 11:42:52 AM »

News Item

A federal court in Texas has thrown out the government  ban on noncompete agreements that was set to take effect September 4.

In her ruling, Judge Ada Brown of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas wrote that the federal agency had overstepped its power when it approved the ban.

The FTC lacks substantive rulemaking authority with respect to unfair methods of competition. The role of an administrative agency is to do as told by Congress, not to do what the agency think s  it should do.
No, I do not. But I do know when the SCOTUS threw out Chevron they opened the door for judges to bring in their own political biases rather then rely upon expertise.
Judges are trained to interpret laws vis a vis the Constitution. Bureaucrats follow the dictates of the politicians. Since neither are elected the odds favor the expertise of judges over political appointees.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #43097 on: August 22, 2024, 11:52:56 AM »

News Item

Judges are trained to interpret laws vis a vis the Constitution. Bureaucrats follow the dictates of the politicians. Since neither are elected the odds favor the expertise of judges over political appointees.
The politicians the beauty rats respond to are elected. Federal judges are not answerable. And lack the technical expertise that is often necessary to determine what regulations mean in practice.

To me, why do you think judges in PA and TX.came.to diametrically opposite conclusions?
A parrot bit me.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #43098 on: August 22, 2024, 12:33:30 PM »

News Item

The politicians the beauty rats respond to are elected. Federal judges are not answerable. And lack the technical expertise that is often necessary to determine what regulations mean in practice.

To me, why do you think judges in PA and TX.came.to diametrically opposite conclusions?
Read the opinions.
All the technical expertise in the world is worthless if an executive action by passes the constitutional requirement of Congressional approval

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #43099 on: August 22, 2024, 01:41:41 PM »

So far the only disappointing thing about the DNC for me is that for Arizona's vote they went with Stevie Nicks instead of something from the Meat Puppets, like Enchanted Pork Fist, or even Backwater or Lake of Fire.

Landslide?  A little too on the nose if so.
Edge of 17.
I have to say, though that the song has always mystified me, especially the line about the one winged dove. How does a one winged dove even fly? It is not a matter of the one wing making it fly 8n a circle, aerodynamically speaking it should not even get off the ground. Is that the point? A dove that cannot even do the single basic fact of doneness? But is so, why is the only attribute discussed in the song singing? Seems like that dove needs to be running, especially in Arizona, what with coyotes and what have you trying to eat it. It just seemsike nonsense.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #43100 on: August 22, 2024, 01:43:25 PM »

News Item

Read the opinions.
All the technical expertise in the world is worthless if an executive action by passes the constitutional requirement of Congressional approval
Understanding regulatory language in context often will need more detailed k owledge of factual matters than a judge will have.
A parrot bit me.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #43101 on: August 22, 2024, 02:25:44 PM »

News Item

Read the opinions.
Understanding regulatory language in context often will need more detailed k owledge of factual matters than a judge will have.
factual matters are superseded by Constitutional matters. The legislative body is answerable to the voters.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 02:27:44 PM by jmmengel »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #43102 on: August 22, 2024, 02:49:42 PM »

News Item

Read the opinions.
factual matters are superseded by Constitutional matters. The legislative body is answerable to the voters.
First, it is not a Constitutional matter. It is a question of whether the administrative body has acted within the statutory mandate. The Constitutional issue is a truism, since the administration is claiming it acted within the mandate and not without one. But this is a distinction I know in the past has escaped your understanding. Second, the factual issues are issues relating to the proper interpretation of the statutory language.
A parrot bit me.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #43103 on: August 22, 2024, 03:13:35 PM »

News Item

Read the opinions.
First, it is not a Constitutional matter. It is a question of whether the administrative body has acted within the statutory mandate. The Constitutional issue is a truism, since the administration is claiming it acted within the mandate and not without one. But this is a distinction I know in the past has escaped your understanding. Second, the factual issues are issues relating to the proper interpretation of the statutory language.
Your argument is without merit. Judges are, by training, experts on interpreting law and, at the federal level, need to be confirmed by the Senate.

Moreover their reasoning in written opinions are frequently scrutinized by legal scholars and the press.
It is harder for judges to become unduly influenced than it is for the other two branches, which make decisions behind closed doors often with little public oversight.
And bureaucrats change when Administrations change. Federal Judges do not.

Agencies

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #43104 on: August 22, 2024, 04:45:46 PM »

I have to say, though that the song has always mystified me, especially the line about the one winged dove. How does a one winged dove even fly? It is not a matter of the one wing making it fly in a circle, aerodynamically speaking it should not even get off the ground. Is that the point? A dove that cannot even do the single basic fact of doneness? But is so, why is the only attribute discussed in the song singing? Seems like that dove needs to be running, especially in Arizona, what with coyotes and what have you trying to eat it. It just seemsike nonsense.

😂

(assuming you know the lyric is white winged dove)

(then again, Stevie is not known for her great diction)

(If I start thinking back on hauntingly familiar Stevie Nicks song, I will have more fodder for the mondegreen thread...)

Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #43105 on: August 22, 2024, 04:59:05 PM »

Your argument is without merit. Judges are, by training, experts on interpreting law and, at the federal level, need to be confirmed by the Senate.

A Senate whose members set aside their other business and partisan concerns and diligently scrutinize each judicial nomination for their qualifications to serve, based upon objective criteria of competence and impartiality! 

Moreover their reasoning in written opinions are frequently scrutinized by legal scholars and the press.
It is harder for judges to become unduly influenced than it is for the other two branches

Clarence and Sammy say hello.

And bureaucrats change when Administrations change. Federal Judges do not.

Most employees in the federal Civil Service work through multiple administrations.  In this way, they develop technical expertise which appointees lack and judges never have.   
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 05:00:57 PM by Oil Stick »
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #43106 on: August 22, 2024, 05:04:11 PM »

I have to say, though that the song has always mystified me, especially the line about the one winged dove. How does a one winged dove even fly? It is not a matter of the one wing making it fly in a circle, aerodynamically speaking it should not even get off the ground. Is that the point? A dove that cannot even do the single basic fact of doneness? But is so, why is the only attribute discussed in the song singing? Seems like that dove needs to be running, especially in Arizona, what with coyotes and what have you trying to eat it. It just seemsike nonsense.

😂

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

This series of posts has been brought to you by the Gilda Radner Memorial Appreciation Society. 35 years and still missed.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #43107 on: August 22, 2024, 05:11:17 PM »

News Item

Read the opinions.

Corporate lobbying as opposed to scientific methods. Goresuch revenge
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #43108 on: August 22, 2024, 05:11:36 PM »

Interestingly Edge of 17 sprung from Nicks mishearing Tom Petty's then wife who told her she and Petty met at the age of 17. An accent was involved.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #43109 on: August 22, 2024, 05:16:09 PM »

😂

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

This series of posts has been brought to you by the Gilda Radner Memorial Appreciation Society. 35 years and still missed.

Never mind
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2872 2873 [2874] 2875 2876 ... 2917