Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1873155 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1395 on: August 25, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Alameda-schools-new-dress-code-Tube-tops-are-13167331.php

For Bambu, one of our resident misogynists who thinks girls have to be responsible for boys' behavior and attitude and focus.

There are probably middle ground POV on this that aren't misogynistic, but come from Dads who remember being distracted in middle school.   Not disrespectful, Just distracted.  As a purely practical matter,  one can't really rewire the strongly visual aspect of male libido or convert all 14 year olds into moral paragons.   A lot of research has shown that dress codes correlate with improved academic performance.  While I'm sure bare midriffs and cleavage and lots of leg all provide teaching moments on inter-gender relations,  I wonder if there's a middle path that would reflect the practical concerns of parents (I had a teen daughter not so many years ago) over a society that seems to drench young people in sexualized images and fashions.   Even adults,  when in a workplace environment where the focus is on the work,  are called upon to exercise some restraint.   I wish policy could sometimes reflect the pragmatics of being imperfect humans and not always have to be developed in a politically charged context.  JMO

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1396 on: August 25, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »

Thankfully, the time has passed where Superdelegates were a necessity in order to represent the interests of blacks and other PoC.

The grassroots are more diverse than ever and at the 2016 Convention about half the regular delegates were PoC.

No one really hollered about the SDs until 2008 when Obama had a majority going into the convention but they didn’t contribute to the final outcome... but it looked bad.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1397 on: August 25, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Alameda-schools-new-dress-code-Tube-tops-are-13167331.php

For Bambu, one of our resident misogynists who thinks girls have to be responsible for boys' behavior and attitude and focus.

There are probably middle ground POV on this that aren't misogynistic, but come from Dads who remember being distracted in middle school.   Not disrespectful, Just distracted.  As a purely practical matter,  one can't really rewire the strongly visual aspect of male libido or convert all 14 year olds into moral paragons.   A lot of research has shown that dress codes correlate with improved academic performance.  While I'm sure bare midriffs and cleavage and lots of leg all provide teaching moments on inter-gender relations,  I wonder if there's a middle path that would reflect the practical concerns of parents (I had a teen daughter not so many years ago) over a society that seems to drench young people in sexualized images and fashions.   Even adults,  when in a workplace environment where the focus is on the work,  are called upon to exercise some restraint.   I wish policy could sometimes reflect the pragmatics of being imperfect humans and not always have to be developed in a politically charged context.  JMO

I’m sure there are more than a few Moms who were distracted in middle school.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #1398 on: August 25, 2018, 05:10:00 PM »

THe optics of the super-delegates wasn't good. It appeared that even though Sanders was holding his own in contested primaries, Dem insiders appointed by Clinton power-brokers had the real power and #s to nominate Clinton. From that article the S-Ds remain, but they can't vote unless there is a 2nd ballot.

My impression, too.   Sometimes the appearance of a more level field encourages more players.  Belief is a powerful thing.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 25, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ice-handcuffs-immigrants-on-18th-birthday-at-homestead-childrens-center-sends-them-to-jail-10651093

You may remember Kiid's claim that kids who were detained were allowed to stay in the United States.

"When they turn 18, it's basically, 'Happy birthday,' and then they slap on handcuffs and take them off to adult detention centers," says Lisa Lehner, an attorney with the nonprofit Americans for Immigrant Justice who is representing Orellana.

Since April, at least 14 children at the Homestead center have been handcuffed on their 18th birthdays and taken to a jail cell in Broward

That's in anticipation for their getting deported.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 25, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »

I've said before I think they should get rid of superdelegates and return to the days of bosses and smoke-filled rooms.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 25, 2018, 06:17:19 PM »

I've said before I think they should get rid of superdelegates and return to the days of bosses and smoke-filled rooms.

or vape-filled.

For entertainment purposes the old brokered conventions, where the outcomes weren't already primary determined made for good TV.

My memory is a  little hazy (damn smoke) but the '64 convention was the first I was really engaged in and sort of remember the battle over seating the Mississippi delegations (one segregated the other integrated) and the voting rights battle that foreshadowed the end of  Dem's hold on the South.

'68 was a whole nother story.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 25, 2018, 08:56:37 PM »

RIP John McCain, one of the richest characters in recent American history. I’m not talking dollars, which he had via marriage. He was rich in experiences and influence with a knack for sometimes rising to the moment.

There are few men half as good left in the GOP.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 25, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 25, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 25, 2018, 10:54:04 PM »

The CNN headline reads, "Sen. John McCain is dead at 81" and just below it, on the right side, it says, "Marine scientist predicts 'a planetary catastrophe'

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 26, 2018, 09:42:07 AM »

I didn't agree with most of Sen McCain's political positions but he was a patriot and a hero and a man I grew to respect, appreciate and admire.

America lost a good man.

RIP Senator McCain

barton

« Reply #1408 on: August 26, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »

What stood out for me was that McCain would sometimes admit he was wrong,  and shift his position on an issue.  Not for political expedience but because of a heartfelt moral conviction arrived at after careful reflection.  Troublemaker!

barton

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 4288