Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1875706 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1425 on: August 26, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »

One wonders if he had stuck with his initial choice of Lieberman and not gone with the Palin whether that would have made a difference .....

Not many of right mind wonder this.

Certainly no Democrats.  They all figure O would have beaten any duo.

Palin disqualified many voters for considering voting for McCain as Palin was eminently unqualified. Lieberman did not have that problem and might have attracted Dems, Jewish voters and Independents in sufficient #s in the northeast and maybe Florida to make a landslide more competitive or even winnable. McCain was working from the hole dug for him by the Bush presidency debacle. A hole only made deeper by the Palin nomination.

In any case, I was curious if Lieberman might have made a difference, but don't have your crystal ball, nor your demonstrated preference for voting for unqualified dolts for our nation's highest office.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: August 26, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »

McCain was a big backer of the Iraq War.
And also was itchy to go to war with Iran.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: August 26, 2018, 05:38:13 PM »

Palin was net neutral.  To tall energized a dying campaign, which then went splat more because of Obama's brilliance...... oh....and the other thing

The idea that folks really liked McCain but disqualified him due to the ticket is asinine.

Yeah....let me vote for this other guy....that I don't like

Heh

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: August 26, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »

So after saying that Democrats believec Obama to be unbeatable, you're now saying that you think Obama was unbeatable?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: August 26, 2018, 06:17:31 PM »

Palin was not net neutral.

Other than the nut-job right, she was viewed as a disaster as a VP-heartbeat from the Pres. nominee.

And as I clearly recall, we had this debate over her qualifications at the time.

My guess is that anyone remotely close to undecided, (and there were reasons to question Obama's readiness) soon leaned hard for Obama once the horrifying mistake of the Palin nomination, and McCain's questionable judgement bloomed in full view.

Obama was a brilliant politician, BUT its possible that any Dem might have won after 8-years of Bush bumbling and a US and global economy teetering on the cusp of a crippling depression. McCain was a legit nominee and very qualified who went for a gimmick that blew up in his face rather than opt for a more traditional and qualified running mate.

Joe Biden sends his best. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:20:06 PM by bankshot1 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1430 on: August 26, 2018, 06:20:09 PM »

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-officials-surprised-americans-cared-about-family-separations-zero-tolerance-2018-8

It's not like they cared about the kids or the separations. Hundreds are still separated because of the Trump administration's deliberate mistreatment of the families.

But they assumed that most people think the way they do.

I think it was a test to see how much the American people would accept.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1431 on: August 26, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »

Palin isn’t the main reason McCain lost Obama. McCain got a decent bump when he introduced Caribou Barbie who acquitted herself well as long as she stayed on script and IF she could have learned anything beyond lowest common denominator she could have been a very good politician instead of carnival sideshow.

When the economy slid into the toilet he made a statement that was cringeworthy and I paraphrase, “The fundamentals of the economy are strong!”

Then he “suspended” his campaign to focus on the now acknowledged crisis and the late night hosts lambasted him... but he came on one show an admittied to the fuck up. After that the outcome wasn’t in doubt.

Then came this in mid October...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG1g5qvgtSg

You hear the hosts doing their best to spin this as a positive but...

Then he and Tina Fey did a great SNL cold opening three days before the election where he made fun of himself and his campaign’s lack of funds, a QVC skit. It was good TV but it was really unconditional surrender.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:25:08 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: August 26, 2018, 07:30:54 PM »

So after saying that Democrats believec Obama to be unbeatable, you're now saying that you think Obama was unbeatable?

I dont think John was a strong candidate.  Palin was the Hail Mary.  Wonderful drama.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: August 26, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »

The Katie Couric-Palin interview in September, burst any bubble that "Caribou Barbie" would ever be taken seriously by most voters. She was dead in the water a few weeks after her nomination.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 26, 2018, 07:38:42 PM »

I dont think John was a strong candidate.  Palin was the Hail Mary.  Wonderful drama.
So you agree with the opinion you attribute to Democrats. You could have just said so at the beginning instead of snickering at it.

As for me, while I don't believe a VEEP choice usually adds or subtracts to/from a ticket, I do believe that a McCain-Lieberman ticket (notwithstanding my view that the word "sanctimonious" was invented for ol'  Joe) would have been far more formidable.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:46:36 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 26, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »

So you agree with the opinion you attribute to Democrats. You could have just said so at the beginning instead of snickering at it.

As for me, while I don't believe a VEEP choice usually adds or subtracts to/from a ticket, I do believe that a McCain-Lieberman ticket (notwithstanding my view that the word "sanctimonious" was invented for ol'  Joe) would have been far more formidable.

I think he'd have been stronger than Palin, but I don't think that's saying much.

But I think you underestimate the antisemitic sentiment in this country that mostly has little cause to come out on a daily basis. Also, I think that Joe would have turned off a ton of Republican voters while not attracting enough Dems to make up for it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 26, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »

Why did he keep checking out of the hospital?

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/08/us/ice-detention-stewart-georgia/?utm_content=chapter_01

A nurse there petitioned a court to involuntarily commit Jimenez in October 2016 after he appeared anxious and depressed, admitted to being psychotic and stated he was hearing voices that were making him "so angry," according to records CNN obtained from the family attorney. A magistrate found Jimenez was "mentally ill and in need of treatment." He was committed for about a week, then released.

A few months later, he was committed once again – this time for nearly two weeks after his mother took him to a mental health crisis clinic. As soon as they arrived, he shouted he was going to kill himself.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:07:09 PM by kiidcarter8 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 26, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »

Why did he keep checkingh out of the hospital?

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/08/us/ice-detention-stewart-georgia/?utm_content=chapter_01

A nurse there petitioned a court to involuntarily commit Jimenez in October 2016 after he appeared anxious and depressed, admitted to being psychotic and stated he was hearing voices that were making him "so angry," according to records CNN obtained from the family attorney. A magistrate found Jimenez was "mentally ill and in need of treatment." He was committed for about a week, then released.

A few months later, he was committed once again – this time for nearly two weeks after his mother took him to a mental health crisis clinic. As soon as they arrived, he shouted he was going to kill himself.

Why wouldn't he? It is not as if he was likely to have been receiving treatment there. Have you never had somebody you cared about in a psych ward? Or did they just not tell you what it was like?

If his condition was at all as described, then his decision doesn't have to have been rational.

But how like you to focus on "why did he check himself out?" rather than "why did a prison that knew he was suicidal put him in isolation?"
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: August 26, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »

Wasnt being treated?

BS

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: August 26, 2018, 09:06:34 PM »

But I think you underestimate the antisemitic(sic)sentiment in this country that mostly has little cause to come out on a daily basis.
According to the totality of posts from Josh, the GOP hates Jews, are all white Christians, and are racist, to boot.
Nevertheless, the party has, at the ballot box, won over the halls of Congress, the White House, and holds a legislative majority in, roughly, 60% of the states.
In the immortal words of Richard Tuck:
“The people have spoken.
The bastards. “

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:10:37 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 4288