Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584008 times)

arafura

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #14745 on: June 05, 2019, 07:01:59 PM »

Methinks that some Britons, no ideas, are protesting Trump the man, rather than any dislike of America/ns.
Still, they should be treating the office of the President of the United States of America, and the person who holds that office...with a lot more respect.

Pity Trump will not be touring Australia...he would likely get a different perspective if he actually visited here.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14746 on: June 05, 2019, 07:51:35 PM »

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress" says nothing about how any determination for the Electors' voting.

Nor does anything in the 12th Amendment, or you would not have bitched and moaned about my not putting them in the same post.

You got bupkis.

No I have the Constitution.  The appointment of electors is a delegated right granted to the states by the Constitution and while that right can be amended( i.e.12th ) it cannot be amended without Congressional approval NOR  in any manner that changes the overall purpose of the presidential election system.  And that system is an indirect election carried out through the Electoral College.
What the Nevada Legislature was trying to do a was convert Nevada ELECTORS into agents of other states.
Blatantly unconstitutional.
You keep saying that, but the states that set up winner-take all *did* change things without a constitutional amendment.
No. They didn’t. Article II gives the the right to elect electors anyway the states choose.
Nevada proposed doing away with electors effectively scrapping the Electoral College.
Blatantly unconstitutional

Dude, you pulled that one waaaaaaay out your ass!
Try reading the Constitution.
You should try understanding it.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14747 on: June 05, 2019, 07:58:16 PM »

Methinks that some Britons, no ideas, are protesting Trump the man, rather than any dislike of America/ns.
Still, they should be treating the office of the President of the United States of America, and the person who holds that office...with a lot more respect.

Pity Trump will not be touring Australia...he would likely get a different perspective if he actually visited here.

If you get him you can keep him. Sydney can drink his flop sweat. Enjoy.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14748 on: June 05, 2019, 08:14:33 PM »

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress" says nothing about how any determination for the Electors' voting.

Nor does anything in the 12th Amendment, or you would not have bitched and moaned about my not putting them in the same post.

You got bupkis.

No I have the Constitution.  The appointment of electors is a delegated right granted to the states by the Constitution and while that right can be amended( i.e.12th ) it cannot be amended without Congressional approval NOR  in any manner that changes the overall purpose of the presidential election system.  And that system is an indirect election carried out through the Electoral College.
What the Nevada Legislature was trying to do a was convert Nevada ELECTORS into agents of other states.
You keep saying that, but the states that set up winner-take all *did* change things without a constitutional amendment.
No. They didn’t. Article II gives the the right to elect electors anyway the states choose.
Nevada proposed doing away with electors effectively scrapping the Electoral College.

Nevada proposed no such thing. They proposed to have their electors vote the way the national vote went. Why you think that is so different from "All electors will vote for the winner of this state" or "not all electors will vote with the state, only some. Others will go with the District" is beyond me unless this is another of your self-serving things where if we had done it the way this law proposes, then Clinton would have won.

Which is a normal motivation for you, rather than truth.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14749 on: June 05, 2019, 08:16:37 PM »

The science...there is climate change.
True.
The climate is always changing, Ice Ages come and go, glaciers started melting 15,000 years ago.
Long ago sea levels rose, and flooded the land bridge between Australia and India.

Sydney's dam is down to 50% capacity...water restrictions have been introduced.

No1 radio host has been telling the politicians for decades to build more dams....did they listen?   no.
Wouldn't surprise me if this time Sydney does run out of water.

Building more dams would not have alleviated this problem, but... why bother talking to somebody who thinks this rising heat is like the others and has decided that if the seas are going to rise we should just let everybody die and our world to fall apart.

Given that you see nothing wrong with the US government killing kids, I guess I should not be surprised.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14750 on: June 05, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »

You got bupkis.

Nevada proposed no such thing.
LOL  That was the sole purpose of the Nevada Law. It took a Governor with common sense to deep-six such  a stupid (not to mention blatantly unconstitutional) idea.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14751 on: June 05, 2019, 09:54:33 PM »

You got bupkis.

LOL  That was the sole purpose of the Nevada Law. It took a Governor with common sense to deep-six such  a stupid (not to mention blatantly unconstitutional) idea.

It might or might not be the "purpose" of the law, but it is not what the law does, Ward. In your ongoing legal studies, you need to discover that words have meaning and that unless a proposed law says that it will do away with Electors, it will not do away with Electors.

Consider your head patted. You may catch on before society is destroyed, but I wouldn't be on it, even if society is not destroyed.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14752 on: June 05, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »

Shifting from one liar (Ward) to another (Trump):

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/06/05/donald-trump-properties-false-royals-claims-kfile-sot-vpx.cnn

No wonder the Queen was wearing the brooch that Obama gave her when she met Trump. She has to be beside herself over the need to spend time behaving diplomatically to this guy who has used her family's name for his personal financial gain.

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #14753 on: June 05, 2019, 10:03:53 PM »

The science...there is climate change.
True.
The climate is always changing, Ice Ages come and go, glaciers started melting 15,000 years ago.
Long ago sea levels rose, and flooded the land bridge between Australia and India.

Sydney's dam is down to 50% capacity...water restrictions have been introduced.

No1 radio host has been telling the politicians for decades to build more dams....did they listen?   no.
Wouldn't surprise me if this time Sydney does run out of water.

Building more dams would not have alleviated this problem, but... why bother talking to somebody who thinks this rising heat is like the others and has decided that if the seas are going to rise we should just let everybody die and our world to fall apart.

Given that you see nothing wrong with the US government killing kids, I guess I should not be surprised.

If it is, the US govt should not be killing kids.
If the seas rise, then everybody should be moved to higher ground.
The world is falling apart now...overpopulation.

Building more dams would have alleviated the problem in Sydney...it always rains eventually.
Plenty of rain, dim-witted politicians never harvest any of it [besides in the existing dams]... had 3 inches of rain this week...bye bye, all went to the sea.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14754 on: June 05, 2019, 10:05:55 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/05/politics/los-angeles-homeless-count/index.html

But the homelessness crisis gripping Los Angeles is one that has been many years in the making with no easy fix. It is a problem driven by an array of complex factors, including rising rents, a staggering shortage of affordable housing units, resistance to new shelters and housing developments in suburban neighborhoods, and, above all, the lack of a cohesive safety net for thousands of people struggling with mental health problems, addiction and, in some cases, recent exits from the criminal justice system that have left them with no other options beyond living on the streets.

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #14755 on: June 05, 2019, 10:11:47 PM »

Shifting from one liar (Ward) to another (Trump):

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/06/05/donald-trump-properties-false-royals-claims-kfile-sot-vpx.cnn

No wonder the Queen was wearing the brooch that Obama gave her when she met Trump. She has to be beside herself over the need to spend time behaving diplomatically to this guy who has used her family's name for his personal financial gain.

She'd be used to it by now.
She had to meet with IRA 'boss' when travelling to Ireland to lend them money in recent times.
Had to host Mugabe for a visit.
Hosted Japan's emperor a while ago...toured around in a carriage with him.
Bad idea...veterans/etc turned their backs as the carriage passed by.

She might be Queen...but she needs to remember who the 'king of the world' is when dealing with Mr Trump.

Mr Trump, democratically elected by the American people to be 'king of the world'.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14756 on: June 05, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »

Love the Trump robot.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14757 on: June 05, 2019, 10:30:05 PM »

You got bupkis.

It might or might not be the "purpose" of the law,
but it is not what the law does, Ward.
It was the ONLY purpose of the perverted law.
But I can see why you are upset.  It took a democrat with common sense to blow the whistle on
Blatant stupidity.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14758 on: June 05, 2019, 10:30:47 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/05/politics/biden-2020-campaign-challenge/index.html

Kiiid talked a tiny bit about this, but provided no link, so here is a link and a bit of info:

Consider the hits Biden has taken in just the last day:
* His campaign acknowledged lifting language from other people and institutions in crafting his climate change proposal, which was released Tuesday. And The Washington Post reported Tuesday night that some language in Biden's education plan had been taken from other sources without attribution. No big deal in this internet age? Maybe. But remember that Biden's first run for president in 1987 was ended by plagiarism allegations.

* Biden's campaign was forced to clarify that the former vice president still supports the so-called "Hyde Amendment" that keeps federal dollars from being spent on abortion services except in the cases of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is at stake. A video released by the American Civil Liberties Union showed Biden seeming to express support for getting rid of the amendment in a May interview. Biden's reiteration of his support for the Hyde Amendment led to a series of blisteringly critical statements from the abortion rights community. "To support the Hyde Amendment is to block people -- particularly women of color and women with low incomes -- from accessing safe, legal abortion," said Kelley Robinson, executive director of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 4288