Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2362 2363 [2364] 2365 2366 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1611905 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35446 on: May 28, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »

Before the ACA Legislation was passed in 2010, moderate Democrats killed the public option, and in the midterm elections that followed, Democrats suffered historic losses, including the majority in the House of Representatives. In what he described as a “Shellacking” Obama took blame from the left for not including a public option and then those same Moderate Democrats who killed the public option blamed him for not “reaching across the aisle” to work with the GOP minority. Thanks to “progressive” commentators such as Ed Schultz and Cenk Uygur, lefties and libs stayed home, and in an electoral fit of pique gave the House back to the Republicans.

That became the framing of the rest of the Obama Administration. No matter the situation the Administration’s efforts never met the muster of the mainstream, and as result was red meat for the right-wing media whose coverage was mirrored in the mainstream media.

I don’t write the headlines..

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/08/22/remember-democrats-the-middle-of-the-road-is-where-you-get-run-over/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35449 on: May 28, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/us/minneapolis-protests-george-floyd/index.html

Always focused on the aftermath, never either the initiating action - murder in this case - or the underlying problem that you deny of racism in police coupled with a power problem that they have.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35450 on: May 28, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »

Cant wait to see the Cabinet

Here's a heads up kid. The projected Biden cabinet will likely be characterized by some of your ilk as fully stocked with Deep-state Dems. And I imagine they'll likely be from over the country, not just Delaware or the Kennedy School. And hopefully have a sprinkling of a few decent Repubs to present a non-partisan patina.

I could see Mitt being offered something.

ARRGH!  I hate that.  Why do Dems always put a GOPer in as Defense Sec or FBI/CIA?  Just find a qualified person in your party.  No benefit and only harm will come from having a Repub in the Cabinet or another high post.   One of the more foolish things Dems do.  makes them look more weak than bipartisan and cooperative.  Go with your convictions.  Stick with your team.

Bo-I'm on Team America and still beleive there are a few Repubs who are not tainted by Corona-Trump-2016/20 who still put country ahead of party. But I may be wrong.

Given the contentious and overly partisan warfare Americans have waged on one another, IMO healing and listening and respecting the reasonable opinions from someone who moderately disagrees with you politically is a start and sends a moderate political message that can be understood by most Americans as an act of goodwill and non-partisan. There also may be areas of commonality re certain national policies where party affilliation is not critical to organizing and carrying out national policy.

The point is I'm not ruling out service to country because of party affiliation. I want smart patriots who understand and can administer and govern effectively. 

YMMV

If Americans continue on hyper-partisan politics us-vs them, blue v red etc, liberals v morons, it will get worse. So if handing out a cabinet position to a Repub or two, sends a non-partisan message, particularly early on in a new D-administration, why not? 

And offering Romney a position of trust would be a fuck-you to Trump.

That and tweaking kid was  the real point of my post.

The Republican Party should be blown up to the foundation, the rubble burned to ash and the ash sowed into the soil with salt to never grow again.

Being “reasonable” on one side is how we arrived to the brink of authoritarianism.

Achtung, baby!

fixed

Really no need for that here

SO MUCH NEED FOR THAT, here, there, and everywhere - because of people like you who are in denial as well as people like the Minneapolis ex-cops, Mitch McConnell, etc.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35451 on: May 28, 2020, 01:17:54 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coronavirus/startling-data-released-on-coronavirus-cases-at-massachusetts-nursing-homes/2132468/

The data shows that more than 80 long-term-care facilities in Massachusetts had recorded at least 20 coronavirus-related deaths.

The Leavitt Family Jewish Home in Longmeadow held the highest coronavirus-related death toll with 66, followed by Mary Immaculate Nursing/Restorative Center in Lawrence with 64 and the Courtyard Nursing Care Center in Medford with 60.

Out of the 6,547 deaths reported in Massachusetts as of Wednesday, 4,041 were residents of long-term care facilities, state data shows.

Nursing homes were required to test at least 90% of residents and staff for COVID-19 between April 8 and May 25 in order to qualify to receive additional funding under the $130 million Nursing Facility Accountability and Support Program.

Out of 360 nursing homes, 350 tested at least 90% of staff and residents, according to the health department. The money is meant to help facilities improve the safety and infection control protocols for nursing home residents and staff.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #35454 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:58 PM »

Here's a heads up kid. The projected Biden cabinet will likely be characterized by some of your ilk as fully stocked with Deep-state Dems. And I imagine they'll likely be from over the country, not just Delaware or the Kennedy School. And hopefully have a sprinkling of a few decent Repubs to present a non-partisan patina.

ARRGH!  I hate that.  Why do Dems always put a GOPer in as Defense Sec or FBI/CIA?  Just find a qualified person in your party.  No benefit and only harm will come from having a Repub in the Cabinet or another high post.   One of the more foolish things Dems do.  makes them look more weak than bipartisan and cooperative.  Go with your convictions.  Stick with your team.

Bo-I'm on Team America and still beleive there are a few Repubs who are not tainted by Corona-Trump-2016/20 who still put country ahead of party. But I may be wrong.

Given the contentious and overly partisan warfare Americans have waged on one another, IMO healing and listening and respecting the reasonable opinions from someone who moderately disagrees with you politically is a start and sends a moderate political message that can be understood by most Americans as an act of goodwill and non-partisan. There also may be areas of commonality re certain national policies where party affilliation is not critical to organizing and carrying out national policy.

The point is I'm not ruling out service to country because of party affiliation. I want smart patriots who understand and can administer and govern effectively. 

YMMV

If Americans continue on hyper-partisan politics us-vs them, blue v red etc, liberals v morons, it will get worse. So if handing out a cabinet position to a Repub or two, sends a non-partisan message, particularly early on in a new D-administration, why not? 

The Republican Party should be blown up to the foundation, the rubble burned to ash and the ash sowed into the soil with salt to never grow again.

Being “reasonable” on one side is how we arrived to the brink of authoritarianism.

Achtung, baby!

IMO the Republican party of Gingrich-McConnell-Trump is a fascist cancer that is threatening to kill our democracy. And it must be eradicated ASAP. And i do not hold the "I was only following orders" crowd blameless, they followed orders and got tax custs and judges, but the truth is there are too many of them to get rid of in one election. So lets chip away and remove or at least isolate and neuter the truly evil and the onlt real way to do it is win the WH, the Senate and keep the House.

Now is the time to hold onto principles but to be reasonable and not threatening to the large middle where the votes are needed. The progress we seek will not all be gained in 2021, or maybe 2023, but they will as the bogeyman of progressive polices are unveiled and middle class working Americans see the benefits spread across society and not hoarded by the wealthiest and most powerful.

And I need a haircut too, but all things considered, it can wait awhile.

barton

« Reply #35455 on: May 28, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »

But the won’t go quietly for as you see they are already in the process of leaving Sherman neckties in their wake.

Achtung bitches.

Auto-correct is naughty   -- I'm guessing you meant Sicilian necktie...
In case no one.answered, Sherman Neckties are what Sherman's army did with rails in Georgia. Burnt the wood, bent the stock around trees.

Both seem applicable, but thanks,  that does seem more the mental image Larry was going for.   

Leaving behind them a Sherman necktie
With a rogue Barr to cover their recti.

barton

« Reply #35456 on: May 28, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »

One of the biggest SARS outbreaks in 2003, is believed to have occurred due to poop, in HK. 

Leaky sewage pipes and bathroom ventilation fans carried contaminated droplets through parts of a Hong Kong apartment complex, causing one of the world's worst outbreaks of SARS,...

Thanks.   And here I'd thought "the shit hitting the fan" was just a figure of speech.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35457 on: May 28, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/dem-lawmaker-goes-epic-rant-after-gop-colleague-admits-hiding-n1216106?fbclid=IwAR2q38-ukD17nRDOan-p0MoIl8RFBYbTn--m92gGe728skfg1v0kV7Az4tY

“Out of respect for my family, and those who I may have exposed, I chose to keep my positive case private," Pennsylvania state Rep. Andrew Lewis said.

How on Earth is it "out of respect for ... those I may have exposed" for him to keep it secret??!!

"While we are pleased to learn that this House member seems to have recovered, it is simply unacceptable that some House Republicans knew about this for more than a week and sat on that knowledge," Democratic Leader Frank Dermody of Allegheny said in a statement Wednesday night.

Lewis told the GOP members he was in close contact with - but there is no evidence that they told anybody or that they were isolated from the Democratic members.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35459 on: May 28, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »

YMMV

Achtung, baby!

IMO the Republican party of Gingrich-McConnell-Trump is a fascist cancer that is threatening to kill our democracy. And it must be eradicated ASAP. And i do not hold the "I was only following orders" crowd blameless, they followed orders and got tax custs and judges, but the truth is there are too many of them to get rid of in one election. So lets chip away and remove or at least isolate and neuter the truly evil and the onlt real way to do it is win the WH, the Senate and keep the House.

Now is the time to hold onto principles but to be reasonable and not threatening to the large middle where the votes are needed. The progress we seek will not all be gained in 2021, or maybe 2023, but they will as the bogeyman of progressive polices are unveiled and middle class working Americans see the benefits spread across society and not hoarded by the wealthiest and most powerful.

And I need a haircut too, but all things considered, it can wait awhile.

Since deciding to follow the science and shelter in place, I’ve discovered my girlfriend gives excellent haircuts and so I don’t plan to pay a barber again so long as I can stay in her good graces. It’s a little more money for Democratic Senate candidates because every last dime going to defeat fascism in the USA helps.

Offering Romney the ambassador to China position makes sense. He’d do fine there without foot dragging any department that impacts Americans’ day to day lives. It would be good if he would campaign vigorously against trump in the Mormon stronghold states.

Kiid pushes Hydroxychloronique, but as (inappropriate comment excised), so I don’t think it’s accurate to call Hydroxy Kiid’s favorite drug.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:34:18 PM by josh »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 2362 2363 [2364] 2365 2366 ... 4288