Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2512 2513 [2514] 2515 2516 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998198 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37695 on: June 10, 2020, 03:37:26 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officer-video-saying-he-ll-choke-you-out-man-dies-n1228886?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

The firing and the charges are certainly just in NM case

But I ask -

should officers just allow tough to arrest individuals to flee?

Stick to the question - tell me as a cop what you would do after multiple attempts to subdue someone who had broken the law.  There is no wrong answer.

Was letting him go or strangulation really the only choice there?   Your either/or seems false and absurdly so.   Maybe we should be more worried about a system that has renamed strangulation "vascular neck restraint." 

To answer your question -- if I have someone to where I can strangle them,  I think the apprehension has succeeded and I do not need to then go ahead and strangle them.   This would seem a fairly obvious answer, but I know that the concept of cops acting like civilized human beings is a difficult one for you.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37696 on: June 10, 2020, 03:38:44 PM »

I think we call this rewriting history. Propagandists do that. I now fully understand how important is for you to creative a narrative that supports your innate bias towards anyone who does not automatically adhere to your strict views.

I've provided numerous factual examples that back my views.  You have provided zero.  Then call me the propagandist while claiming to have the moral high ground.

You needed to think a little longer before responding.

Uh-huh. Sure. You're proving my point. As this post illustrates, I did not call you a propagandist. But, here you are claiming such.

You believe you see what's in front of you, but you seem blind in so many ways.

Peace out.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:56:05 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37697 on: June 10, 2020, 03:39:29 PM »

Dude - Georgia voting system being a shitshow has little to do with Republicans

Maybe little, probably some, possibly lots.

Now that it is confirmed that Kemp cheated to win his election, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt going into November.  Its looking like Georgia may be a swing state (At least, its purple.  Whether or not its a deciding factor in the election is up in the air) so they need to get their shit together.

I hope the investigations into this are conducted in good faith, and lead to some fast reforms.

It’s a cesspool of corruption and suppression.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37698 on: June 10, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »

More incompetence than bias, Needs.

Investigate?

How about hire/pay better?

Sucker.

Secretary of State bought new machines from company whose lobbyist is his former chief of staff.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #37699 on: June 10, 2020, 03:43:30 PM »

Until everybody agrees on what "defunding" police means, it seems like a worthless discussion.
Worse is the fact that, for instance Minneapolis, many cities are governed  by Charters or, in effect, local constitutions. Changing the Charter  is not easy. It would take a unanimous  vote of the city Council AND the approval of the Mayor.
And then survive a court challenge.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37700 on: June 10, 2020, 03:44:10 PM »

Thomas Lane was accepted to the police academy in January 2019, hired by the Minneapolis Police Department as a police cadet on February 19, 2019 and started as a police officer in December 2019.

So roughly half a year as a policeman.

As far as I can tell MPD has a three month probation period.  Which both would have completed and been full officers.

Yeah.  I guess Lane's lawyer is lying.

Not sure.  Just trying to ascertain the facts.  Maybe both are technically right, and one is just minimizing something that so that it seems exculpatory.

Here's what I see elsewhere:

Lane started as a police cadet in 2019 and was a rookie on the force, only on his fourth full-time shift, when on Memorial Day he was one of the first officers to respond to claims that Floyd, 46, had attempted to use a counterfeit $20 bill.

4th full time shift could mean 4th day after his probation period, that is 4th day as a full officer.  Though that doesn't say 4th day, but 4th FT shift.  Were their other shifts?  Wasm this his 4th shoft total, or 4th as a full officer, post-probation (which is what I assume, making it possible to reconcile the disparate info).

I assume this will be more clear later.
I still find it very hard to believe that an officer on his 4th day was paired with another on his 3rd day and yet they were given their own police SUV and were responding to calls as a pair without any supervision.  That seems negligent.

If Lane became a policeman in Dec 2019, I'm not sure why he would be on his 4th fulltime shift deep in May.  Something doesn't add up.  So I'm guessing there was a probationary period not being counted by his lawyer.

Yet Lane and Keung didn't do a bad job.  Without much trouble they got the suspect out of his vehicle, handcuffed and even in the police vehicle backseat before Chauvin pulled Floyd out.  Lane & Keung will use all that to show they were trying to do things right and follow procedure.  They were only thwarted by Chauvin's demented violence, which they unfortunately assisted.

Why are you having this argument?
How long they are officers is immaterial.

At best they were derelict in their duty.

All I See iare three guys who offered up a sacrifice to the dept Alpha male.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37701 on: June 10, 2020, 03:46:05 PM »

More incompetence than bias, Needs.

Investigate?

How about hire/pay better?

Understandable that COVID would cause some difficulties.  But this isn't the first time there have been problems when Kemp is involved.  As I said, giving him the benefit of the doubt here given the history is actually being willfully partisan.

And yes, there is going to be an investigation.  Georgia AG has called for one.

It was a primary.  What would be to gain?

Are you really this stupid?

If folks don’t trust the system... game set match for the GOP

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37702 on: June 10, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »

Another issue I have a lot of trouble with is that the whole American racial classification system is racist.  It's still based on the one-drop of black blood rule from slavery days.  I look at ex-Officer Alexander Keung and he looks white to me.  Perhaps mixed.  Not what I would consider a black man.   Actually he just looks American to me...

He has what appears to be an Asian name, though I also see it claimed as Swiss, though it seems that he was adopted along with 3 brothers and sisters.  Now maybe Keung self-identifies as black.  Though reportedly he grew up in a black area, so that would probably be prudent to fit in.

It really shouldn't matter if Keung was black, white, Asian or some combination.  But of course in America we categorize by race and lots of cultural baggage goes with that designation.

I think you're right about that. It sure would be nice if we just concentrated on one race---the human race.

Have to say - I've enjoyed chatting with you - but the "we're all the human race" stuff sounds like one of those sugary platitudes that happy privileged suburbanites like to invoke to feel good about themselves and cloud the issue of immense social inequities and oppression that PoC face all over this country.   I mean,  yes of course racial categories are stupid and anthropologically discredited and we could all sip tea and feel superior to anyone who buys into that or any other social class system.   But that's not going to solve the problem of justice in America,  right now.   Getting rid of cultural baggage is hard work.   Acknowledge that many blacks trying to live their lives are colliding with people who are not "concentrated on... the human race. "

I see your point. Yet, I think it's encumbent upon all of us to see each other as human beings, first. Everyone wants the same thing. No matter their culture.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37703 on: June 10, 2020, 03:47:29 PM »

---19 states see rising coronavirus cases and Arizona is asking its hospitals to activate emergency plans---

This is for the forced phase one, wait until the protester numbers kick in a few days from now.

Protestors wore masks for most part and were outdoors

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37704 on: June 10, 2020, 03:59:10 PM »

Another issue I have a lot of trouble with is that the whole American racial classification system is racist.  It's still based on the one-drop of black blood rule from slavery days.  I look at ex-Officer Alexander Keung and he looks white to me.  Perhaps mixed.  Not what I would consider a black man.   Actually he just looks American to me...

He has what appears to be an Asian name, though I also see it claimed as Swiss, though it seems that he was adopted along with 3 brothers and sisters.  Now maybe Keung self-identifies as black.  Though reportedly he grew up in a black area, so that would probably be prudent to fit in.

It really shouldn't matter if Keung was black, white, Asian or some combination.  But of course in America we categorize by race and lots of cultural baggage goes with that designation.

I think you're right about that. It sure would be nice if we just concentrated on one race---the human race.

Well.

That’s up to white people...

America has a problem around all things racial, and that problem is white people.

Now the first thing some of you knee-jerk progressives are gonna do is recoil in horror; “How could you say such a thing? Are you accusing all white people of being racists?”

And therein lies the problem.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/americas-original-sin/

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37705 on: June 10, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officer-video-saying-he-ll-choke-you-out-man-dies-n1228886?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

The firing and the charges are certainly just in NM case

But I ask -

should officers just allow tough to arrest individuals to flee?

Stick to the question - tell me as a cop what you would do after multiple attempts to subdue someone who had broken the law.  There is no wrong answer.

Was letting him go or strangulation really the only choice there?   Your either/or seems false and absurdly so.   Maybe we should be more worried about a system that has renamed strangulation "vascular neck restraint." 

To answer your question -- if I have someone to where I can strangle them,  I think the apprehension has succeeded and I do not need to then go ahead and strangle them.   This would seem a fairly obvious answer, but I know that the concept of cops acting like civilized human beings is a difficult one for you.

I was fairly sure the responses I gave to Kid,  and opening question, would not get a reply.    He was online when I posted it,  BTW.    Maybe it's time to consider that any challenge to his ideas will be met with evasion or silence?

Maybe?

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37706 on: June 10, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »

"And today, thankfully, zero people in the United States of America have died from the coronavirus. Zero. Now, let's put this in perspective. In 2017, 61,000 people in this country died from influenza, the flu. Common flu. Around 100 people die every single day from car wrecks," the paper quotes Hannity from his show on Feb. 27.

3 fucking months ago

You can see how I called you on your "every day" assesment.

FOX has been as excellent a source on COVID as any - and certainly hasnt downplayed the virus to near the level you insinuate..

But likely you don't watch much FOX, thus only follow the watchdogs - a dangerous way to stay totally informed

So fulla shit the whites of your eyes are brown.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37707 on: June 10, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »

Well.

That’s up to white people...

America has a problem around all things racial, and that problem is white people.

Now the first thing some of you knee-jerk progressives are gonna do is recoil in horror; “How could you say such a thing? Are you accusing all white people of being racists?”

And therein lies the problem.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/americas-original-sin/

I agree. It is up to the majority of any group to respect and include the minority. White folks need to seriously rethink how they think about others.

Here is some encouragement from a place you might not think of: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/where-we-go-from-here

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37708 on: June 10, 2020, 04:10:47 PM »

News Item

The Minneapolis Police Department will withdraw from police union contract negotiations, Chief Medaria Arradondo said Wednesday as he announced the first steps in what he said would be transformational reforms to the agency in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

Finally, a solid move to attack the real problem-Union protection of bad cops.
George Floyd’s killer had 18 complaints in his file but was still on the street.

https://
www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/06/10/minneapolis-withdrawing-from-police-union-negotiations/

You guys are about two weeks late on that brilliant deduction.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37709 on: June 10, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »

News item

The sister of a federal protective officer in Oakland who was fatally shot during a protest for George Floyd that turned violent told Congress on Wednesday calls to defund the police are "ridiculous".

"It is a ridiculous solution to claim that defunding police departments is the solution to police brutality and discrimination because it's not a solution. It gets us nowhere as a nation and removes the safety net protection that every citizen deserves from their communities elected officials," Angela Underwood Jacobs said at the House Judiciary Committee's hearing on proposed changes to police practices on Capitol Hill.

I feel badly for her loss

But:

Defund the Police!”

No! That’s not a good slogan! the GOP will pounce!

Let’s try this one.

‘reduce police budgets and reallocate those funds to crucial and oft-neglected areas like education, public health, housing, and youth services!’

Rolls right of the tongue, huh?

People say the GOP is better at messaging because they can boil down their proposals to a simple message.

When you give a simple response to s complex problem it most likely is bullshit.

Fuck the GOP.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2512 2513 [2514] 2515 2516 ... 4288