Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998126 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37665 on: June 10, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »

Jayson Blair is not a legitimate counterpoint to FOX blasting out how COVID is a Democratic hoax on their airwaves every day ...

BONK!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalentertainment/2020/04/10/covid-19-lawsuit-against-fox-news/#7916b9ce5739

The lawsuit cites two examples of misconduct, though untold others may be uncovered and introduced as supporting evidence. One example involved Fox News personality Sean Hannity saying, “They’re scaring the living hell out of people, and I see it as, like, ‘Oh, let’s bludgeon Trump again with this new hoax.” The second example involved Trish Regan delivering a monologue next to a graphic that read, “Coronavirus Impeachment Scam.” In the monologue, Regan accused liberals of creating mass hysteria over the virus to shut down the economy and claimed that COVID-19 wasn’t as significant as other recent disease outbreaks such as SARS and Ebola.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/18/21262403/eric-trump-jeanine-pirro-coronavirus-hoax

For instance, during an appearance on Jeanine Pirro’s Saturday night Fox News show, Eric Trump accused Democrats of conspiring to make a big deal out of the coronavirus — all so his dad won’t be able to hold rallies before November’s election.

“They think they’re taking away Donald Trump’s greatest tool, which is being able to go into an arena and fill it with 50,000 people every single time,” Eric Trump began. “You watch — they’ll milk it every single day between now and November 3. And guess what? After November 3, coronavirus will magically all of a sudden go away and disappear and everybody will be able to reopen. They’re trying to deprive him of his greatest asset.”

Instead of pushing back on Trump’s claim, Pirro echoed Trump’s conspiratorial mode of thinking by suggesting Democrats are using the coronavirus crisis as an opportunity to expand mail-in voting and thereby steal elections from Republicans.

https://www.npr.org/local/309/2020/05/04/849109486/study-finds-more-c-o-v-i-d-19-cases-among-viewers-of-fox-news-host-who-downplayed-pandemic

Meanwhile, Hannity downplayed coronavirus as just the flu and emphasized that Democrats were politicizing the virus to undermine Trump.

"And today, thankfully, zero people in the United States of America have died from the coronavirus. Zero. Now, let's put this in perspective. In 2017, 61,000 people in this country died from influenza, the flu. Common flu. Around 100 people die every single day from car wrecks," the paper quotes Hannity from his show on Feb. 27.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37666 on: June 10, 2020, 12:23:06 PM »

I think we call this rewriting history. Propagandists do that. I now fully understand how important is for you to creative a narrative that supports your innate bias towards anyone who does not automatically adhere to your strict views.

I've provided numerous factual examples that back my views.  You have provided zero.  Then call me the propagandist while claiming to have the moral high ground.

You needed to think a little longer before responding.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37667 on: June 10, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »

I distinctly remember that one of the young cops in the Floyd killing was said by some here to have been on the force just 4 days.  I forget what the exact claim was for the other officer, but it was that he was also a complete neophyte.

I figured that was total bs when I saw a video and those two young officers are a team with their own police vehicle responding to calls.  They were the first to arrive and handcuffed Floyd.

Alex Kueng joined the MPD in the summer of 2019. Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) hired him on December 18, 2017, but he was assigned his duty in August 2019.

So he'd been an officer for 9 months.

Thomas Lane was accepted to the police academy in January 2019, hired by the Minneapolis Police Department as a police cadet on February 19, 2019 and started as a police officer in December 2019.

So roughly half a year as a policeman.

As far as I can tell MPD has a three month probation period.  Which both would have completed and been full officers.

It does seem a bit odd that two officers with just 6 and 9 months experience would be paired.  While the pair of Chauvin and Tou had 19 & 10 respectively.

Yeah.  I guess Lane's lawyer is lying.

Didn't we just go through this with Chauvin's lawyer, who claimed that his client was just in protective custody?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37668 on: June 10, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »

Brown and King have retained an attorney who said DPD needs to change their behavior and their policies surrounding the use of pepper ball rounds.

Well, there you have it...

15 minutes of fame and cha-ching!

The article you posted pointed out that they got medical care and their car took a lot of shots.

They also said they wanted to settle, but without a settlement, they would file suit.

How do you suppose they would do that without hiring a lawyer? Would YOU sign a settlement or file suit without one?

Do you think FAME is what's at issue here? Or just money? How about fairness? You think they deserve NO recompense?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37669 on: June 10, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »

More incompetence than bias, Needs.

Investigate?

How about hire/pay better?

Understandable that COVID would cause some difficulties.  But this isn't the first time there have been problems when Kemp is involved.  As I said, giving him the benefit of the doubt here given the history is actually being willfully partisan.

And yes, there is going to be an investigation.  Georgia AG has called for one.

It was a primary.  What would be to gain?

To generally discourage voting. To make them feel voting was more trouble than it was worth.

barton

« Reply #37670 on: June 10, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officer-video-saying-he-ll-choke-you-out-man-dies-n1228886?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

The firing and the charges are certainly just in NM case

But I ask -

should officers just allow tough to arrest individuals to flee?

Stick to the question - tell me as a cop what you would do after multiple attempts to subdue someone who had broken the law.  There is no wrong answer.

Was letting him go or strangulation really the only choice there?   Your either/or seems false and absurdly so.   Maybe we should be more worried about a system that has renamed strangulation "vascular neck restraint." 

To answer your question -- if I have someone to where I can strangle them,  I think the apprehension has succeeded and I do not need to then go ahead and strangle them.   This would seem a fairly obvious answer, but I know that the concept of cops acting like civilized human beings is a difficult one for you.

I was fairly sure the responses I gave to Kid,  and opening question, would not get a reply.    He was online when I posted it,  BTW.    Maybe it's time to consider that any challenge to his ideas will be met with evasion or silence?   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37671 on: June 10, 2020, 12:40:36 PM »

---19 states see rising coronavirus cases and Arizona is asking its hospitals to activate emergency plans---

This is for the forced phase one, wait until the protester numbers kick in a few days from now.

The number is actually SIX, with 19 decreasing

From MSNBC this morning.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/16/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37672 on: June 10, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officer-video-saying-he-ll-choke-you-out-man-dies-n1228886?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

The firing and the charges are certainly just in NM case

But I ask -

should officers just allow tough to arrest individuals to flee?

Stick to the question - tell me as a cop what you would do after multiple attempts to subdue someone who had broken the law.  There is no wrong answer.

Was letting him go or strangulation really the only choice there?   Your either/or seems false and absurdly so.   Maybe we should be more worried about a system that has renamed strangulation "vascular neck restraint." 

To answer your question -- if I have someone to where I can strangle them,  I think the apprehension has succeeded and I do not need to then go ahead and strangle them.   This would seem a fairly obvious answer, but I know that the concept of cops acting like civilized human beings is a difficult one for you.

I was fairly sure the responses I gave to Kid,  and opening question, would not get a reply.    He was online when I posted it,  BTW.    Maybe it's time to consider that any challenge to his ideas will be met with evasion or silence?

That's been my stated opinion for a couple years, now.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37673 on: June 10, 2020, 12:44:54 PM »

"And today, thankfully, zero people in the United States of America have died from the coronavirus. Zero. Now, let's put this in perspective. In 2017, 61,000 people in this country died from influenza, the flu. Common flu. Around 100 people die every single day from car wrecks," the paper quotes Hannity from his show on Feb. 27.

3 fucking months ago

You can see how I called you on your "every day" assesment.

FOX has been as excellent a source on COVID as any - and certainly hasnt downplayed the virus to near the level you insinuate..

But likely you don't watch much FOX, thus only follow the watchdogs - a dangerous way to stay totally informed

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37674 on: June 10, 2020, 12:52:47 PM »

- Renewing.  Restoring.  Rebuilding. -

It must be Infrastructure WeeK!
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37675 on: June 10, 2020, 12:57:13 PM »

https://link.medium.com/uiQWVwgF76?fbclid=IwAR19ES0F-fgKjQBkYIJhIUVi0e8Ba6pUsyoyzyXfyJP0DI1Eu5OPXXF50u8

Confessions of a Former Bastard Cop
I was a police officer for nearly ten years and I was a bastard. We all were.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #37676 on: June 10, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »

3 fucking months ago

FOX has been as excellent a source on COVID as any - and certainly hasnt downplayed the virus to near the level you insinuate..

But likely you don't watch much FOX, thus only follow the watchdogs - a dangerous way to stay totally informed
There's an old expression: "locking the barn door after the horse was stolen."
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

barton

« Reply #37677 on: June 10, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »

Another issue I have a lot of trouble with is that the whole American racial classification system is racist.  It's still based on the one-drop of black blood rule from slavery days.  I look at ex-Officer Alexander Keung and he looks white to me.  Perhaps mixed.  Not what I would consider a black man.   Actually he just looks American to me...

He has what appears to be an Asian name, though I also see it claimed as Swiss, though it seems that he was adopted along with 3 brothers and sisters.  Now maybe Keung self-identifies as black.  Though reportedly he grew up in a black area, so that would probably be prudent to fit in.

It really shouldn't matter if Keung was black, white, Asian or some combination.  But of course in America we categorize by race and lots of cultural baggage goes with that designation.

I think you're right about that. It sure would be nice if we just concentrated on one race---the human race.

Have to say - I've enjoyed chatting with you - but the "we're all the human race" stuff sounds like one of those sugary platitudes that happy privileged suburbanites like to invoke to feel good about themselves and cloud the issue of immense social inequities and oppression that PoC face all over this country.   I mean,  yes of course racial categories are stupid and anthropologically discredited and we could all sip tea and feel superior to anyone who buys into that or any other social class system.   But that's not going to solve the problem of justice in America,  right now.   Getting rid of cultural baggage is hard work.   Acknowledge that many blacks trying to live their lives are colliding with people who are not "concentrated on... the human race. "

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37678 on: June 10, 2020, 01:08:09 PM »

3 fucking months ago

I can see why you called me on the "every day" assessment, that doesn't mean you have done so successfully.

Hannity and others on FOX downplayed the virus as a political tool for Democrats every day for a consistent period of time.  That made Hannity's change to suddenly trying to be informative once Trump started to pretend to take COVID seriously as notable as Tucker Carlson bucking the network's general trend at the time.  Outside of Carlson, the networks stance was consistent for the first month.

And Hannity's about-face wasn't even complete for the network.  The Judge Janine example I cited was in the middle of May.  This is from April:

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/24/fox-news-host-laura-ingraham-continues-to-downplay-threat-posed-by-coronavirus-with-flu-comparison/

And no, I would not say hosts that claim there is no scientific basis for social distancing and urging people to go about their normal lives while they stay sequestered at home makes FOX as excellent a source on COVID as any.  Their coverage has been as friendly as possible to Trump's political needs and his push to reopen States, in many cases contrary to medical recommendations and his administrations own guidelines. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37679 on: June 10, 2020, 01:09:05 PM »

Another issue I have a lot of trouble with is that the whole American racial classification system is racist.  It's still based on the one-drop of black blood rule from slavery days.  I look at ex-Officer Alexander Keung and he looks white to me.  Perhaps mixed.  Not what I would consider a black man.   Actually he just looks American to me...

He has what appears to be an Asian name, though I also see it claimed as Swiss, though it seems that he was adopted along with 3 brothers and sisters.  Now maybe Keung self-identifies as black.  Though reportedly he grew up in a black area, so that would probably be prudent to fit in.

It really shouldn't matter if Keung was black, white, Asian or some combination.  But of course in America we categorize by race and lots of cultural baggage goes with that designation.

I think you're right about that. It sure would be nice if we just concentrated on one race---the human race.

Have to say - I've enjoyed chatting with you - but the "we're all the human race" stuff sounds like one of those sugary platitudes that happy privileged suburbanites like to invoke to feel good about themselves and cloud the issue of immense social inequities and oppression that PoC face all over this country.   I mean,  yes of course racial categories are stupid and anthropologically discredited and we could all sip tea and feel superior to anyone who buys into that or any other social class system.   But that's not going to solve the problem of justice in America,  right now.   Getting rid of cultural baggage is hard work.   Acknowledge that many blacks trying to live their lives are colliding with people who are not "concentrated on... the human race. "
Pages: 1 ... 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 ... 4288