Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2553 2554 [2555] 2556 2557 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994596 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38310 on: June 14, 2020, 10:27:29 PM »

I don't think the guy in Atlanta was going to run through the streets on a tasing spree.  GMAFB.   He wouldn't have had the taser in the first place, if a substance abuse worker had been called instead of armed cops.   This is exactly what defunding is about.   A drunk sleeping in the wrong place can be helped by a social worker, with a cop in the background.   No coercion.  No dom/submit bullshit.     

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38311 on: June 14, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »

And no, dimwit, if a TASER is not a deadly weapon in the hands of the police (which they insist it isn't), then it isn't when in the hands of the person running away. IOW, yes, wonder why the cop draws his gun and shoots you.

Do you think Mr Brooks was a danger to other people, having a taser and in his fleeing?

No.

But even if he were, it still wouldn't have been lethal, according to the police. So, no excuse for shooting him in the back.

AKA why the killer cop was discharged.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38312 on: June 14, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »

Larry

I totally understand your stance of "should not have been under arrest"

I don't know what higher ups in the department would say to your proposed alternative actions for the officers.  As in NOT giving the sobriety test

Once the test is failed - as I am assuming it was - don't  they HAVE to bring him in?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38313 on: June 14, 2020, 10:31:53 PM »

Because they arrest everybody who falls asleep in their cars.

Wasnt there a pro athlete recently arrested for falling asleep at a traffic light?

Not such a bad rule, I'd say.

Echo - how much of the video have you seen?

Only what the police have released. Kind of like Minneapolis.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38314 on: June 14, 2020, 10:33:31 PM »

Larry

I don't know what higher ups in the department would say to your proposed alternative actions for the officers.  As in NOT giving the sobriety test

Once the test is failed - as I am assuming it was - don't  they HAVE to bring him in?

No. He wasn't driving.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38315 on: June 14, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »

???

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38316 on: June 14, 2020, 10:49:01 PM »

Wasnt there a pro athlete recently arrested for falling asleep at a traffic light?

So you saw that the cops told him to pull the car into a space, as LB suggested.

Brooks said OK, then went back to sleep.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38317 on: June 14, 2020, 10:51:12 PM »

I think the proper stance here is that the officers acted professionally right up to the time of attempted arrest

And once resisting ensued, questions then need to be asked.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38318 on: June 14, 2020, 11:15:32 PM »

So you saw that the cops told him to pull the car into a space, as LB suggested.

Yup. Then awakened and moved the car, as directed. Got out as directed. Did the field sobriety test (or didn't, I suppose) as directed. So, they decided to bring him in and with one holding him from behind, the other decided to Tase him, while standing too close.

Neither here nor there, but Tasers ought to come with a proximity kill switch so that if they get too far from their signal unit they turn off. I don't get why that hasn't happened, yet.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38319 on: June 14, 2020, 11:15:46 PM »

Larry

No. He wasn't driving.
Car does not have to be moving. Or even on. You can get a DUI for sleeping in your car in a rest area.
A parrot bit me.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38320 on: June 14, 2020, 11:18:03 PM »

I think the proper stance here is that the officers acted professionally right up to the time of attempted arrest

And once resisting ensued, questions then need to be asked.

I think at the point at which they decided to arrest him, before they tried to handcuff him, they were fine.

But I think their technique as soon as they decided they needed to arrest him is where I would start asking questions, even before he resisted.

And, honestly, they didn't even need to have given him the field sobriety test - they could have sent him home or driven him home then. They chose not to.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38321 on: June 14, 2020, 11:19:35 PM »

And no, dimwit, if a TASER is not a deadly weapon in the hands of the police (which they insist it isn't), then it isn't when in the hands of the person running away. IOW, yes, wonder why the cop draws his gun and shoots you.

Do you think Mr Brooks was a danger to other people, having a taser and in his fleeing?

There were two armed cops.

If they let him flee with the taser?

There two armed cops.

No matter how you justify this murder this was piss poor police work.
He’s drunk and he already fired the taser. Let him run a half block or so till he runs out of gas and puke.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38322 on: June 14, 2020, 11:27:17 PM »

Larry

My point was he was asleep in a parked car. He admitted he had been drinking and said I can walk to my sisters house.

Ok. Here’s a number to call and you can get your keys in the morning. Good night and be carful.

That was before the sobriety test was administered. He’s thinking (he’s drunk) these guys are ok, I just keep my cool and this will work out ok. This goes on for over half an hour and then it’s “I gotta put these cuffs on you because you’re under arrest.

Why didn’t he just (he’s drunk and now scared) comply?

George Floyd complied.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38323 on: June 14, 2020, 11:29:30 PM »

Larry

No. He wasn't driving.
Car does not have to be moving. Or even on. You can get a DUI for sleeping in your car in a rest area.

You usually don’t end up dead.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38324 on: June 14, 2020, 11:30:23 PM »

Yup. Then awakened and moved the car, as directed. Got out as directed. Did the field sobriety test (or didn't, I suppose) as directed. So, they decided to bring him in and with one holding him from behind, the other decided to Tase him, while standing too close.

Neither here nor there, but Tasers ought to come with a proximity kill switch so that if they get too far from their signal unit they turn off. I don't get why that hasn't happened, yet.

First he was told to not get out of the car.  Backup I believe was needed for this.
Pages: 1 ... 2553 2554 [2555] 2556 2557 ... 4288