Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1920 1921 [1922] 1923 1924 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605763 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #28815 on: March 12, 2020, 10:46:18 AM »

Except the word marmalade was around for a few centuries before Marie Antoinette.  And apparently derives from Portuguese.  And originally was made of quince.

Wow.   So that's a false derivation I've learned in French class?   And heard countless times in the past decades?   I will follow up on your research, BD.   BTW I believe you - false etymologies are pretty common.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #28816 on: March 12, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »

I think folks are mistaken when they think "being Presidential" is a big tide turner.  People vote their reality.  If a BETTER GUY is representing us internationally, so what?  Doesn't get results.

Being “Presidential” matters if you want the office to have credibility and the trust of Americans and our allies.

If you don’t think credibility and trust is important in a President, particularly in a global scale emergency, well…I’m sure there is an episode or two of West Wing that can set you straight on that.

And I'd ask you again what "results" you think we are getting from having an unpresidential idiot with no credibility in the office, but yeah, you aren't here to debate.

Trump's big address to the nation was a dud.  Looked robotic and out of his element, and hardly inspired confidence.

More importantly, he misspoke (while reading off a teleprompter somehow) and made it seem as though the blockade against travel from Europe was also going to apply to goods, which would be an economic killer.  Confusion abounds, the Dow is down over 1500 points, and its more clear than ever that our nation is rudderless in this global emergency.

Worse than having no rudder, Trump is actively steering us over the waterfall.

But Red got his tax cuts so...Trump's been great for the economy!
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28817 on: March 12, 2020, 11:16:37 AM »

We're now back to July of 2017 in terms of the stock market level, following the botched message from the president.

The move is not the wrong move and I don't know that it would be any better this morning had he managed to get it right, except that there would be more confidence that he actually knew what he was saying.

But... on top of the news itself was the additional news that the number of tests performed went down every day through Tuesday, not up. And listening to the VP try to insist both that the numbers are wrong on the CDC website and not wrong was extremely painful:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/03/12/mike-pence-coronavirus-response-cdc-testing-sot-newday-vpx.cnn

It's good that the number of places with approved testing capacity has increased. Perhaps we can catch up to South Korea in that while we are following Italy's trend in number of cases.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #28818 on: March 12, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »

The move is not the wrong move and I don't know that it would be any better this morning had he managed to get it right, except that there would be more confidence that he actually knew what he was saying.

Dow futures were up 1,000 points on word that the "president" was addressing the country.  I think the expectation was that he would have some real measures to announce, not more propaganda.

Maybe the ban on travel to Europe is unavoidable, but the communication of the plan was botched.  Like everything else, can't say where we would be if we had it, but it sucks not having competent leadership.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #28819 on: March 12, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »

What's the situation with testing now?
Can anyone in the US get tested?
Do you need your doctor's approval first.
Do you have to be showing signs of fever/flu, or is it enough that you crossed paths with someone who was sick or was positive?
I haven't been able to get clear word on what's going on now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:40:41 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28820 on: March 12, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »

What's the situation with testing now?
Can anyone in the US get tested?
Do you need tour doctor's approval first.
Do you have to be showing signs of fever/flu, or is it enough that you crossed paths with someone who was sick or was positive?
I haven't been able to get clear word on what's going on now.

noooooop.

The problem is that for each test the protective gear is needed by the acting physician - and these are in short supply

Some say they should come up with WARDS of patients - where the docs can treat MANY while just using the one set of gear.  That's surely an idea.

No -people that are exhibiting flu symptoms shouldnt automatically assume they need or would get atest if they requested it.

But....meanwhile -

in Colorado the governor has stated that they do about 150 tests a day - and want to up this to 20,000.  (he may be daft - I dont know).  He has comed up with the idea to have DRIVE through testing - I guess like a FotoMat or a Krispy Kreme - imagine the lines (again, he may be daft - though he fancies himself a visionary of sorts)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28821 on: March 12, 2020, 11:38:31 AM »

Trump's big address to the nation was a dud.  Looked robotic and out of his element, and hardly inspired confidence.

Dud or not - it was what was necessary

Just not the elocutionist that Barry was.  I agree.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #28822 on: March 12, 2020, 11:45:30 AM »

People can swab the inside of their own cheek and deposit the swab in a ziploc bag.  That can then be sent off for testing.

Also, a large room for testing people seems like a sure way to spread it, as some in there will likely be infected and many not.  I think that idea is for treatment wards after patients test positive, not prior to testing which sounds like a surefire disaster. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28823 on: March 12, 2020, 11:46:33 AM »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28824 on: March 12, 2020, 11:52:11 AM »

"Trump is on this like wet on water has my balls in his pocket."

-  Sen. John Kennedy
Edited for accuracy.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #28825 on: March 12, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »

Dud or not - it was what was necessary

Just not the elocutionist that Barry was.  I agree.
Well, no it wasn't. What is necessary is an articulated plan for a virus already present in the population, not one one that focuses on treating the virus like an invader. And a speech that is focused on what we can do in the future, not Trump patting himself on the back for the awesomeness of his awesome response.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #28826 on: March 12, 2020, 12:02:37 PM »

Or to put it another way: his speech was a dud, not just because he cannot read with a teleprompter but because of what he said failing to meet what we needed to hear.

It was also wrong in important ways, and caused unnecessary issues for Americans currently abroad.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28827 on: March 12, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »

Kid refers to this (in concept, if not by actual reference):

Shortage of personal protective equipment: Controlling exposures to occupational infections is a fundamental method of protecting HCP. Traditionally, a hierarchy of controls has been used as a means of determining how to implement feasible and effective control solutions. The hierarchy ranks controls according to their reliability and effectiveness and includes such controls as engineering controls, administrative controls, and ends with personal protective equipment (PPE). PPE is the least effective control because it involves a high level of worker involvement and is highly dependent on proper fit and correct, consistent use.

Major distributors in the United States have reported shortages of PPE, specifically N95 respirators, facemasks, and gowns. Healthcare facilities are responsible for protecting their HCP from exposure to pathogens, including by providing appropriate PPE.

In times of shortages, alternatives to N95s should be considered, including other classes of FFRs, elastomeric half-mask and full facepiece air purifying respirators, and powered air purifying respirators (PAPRs) where feasible. Special care should be taken to ensure that respirators are reserved for situations where respiratory protection is most important, such as performance of aerosol-generating procedures on suspected or confirmed COVID-19 patients or provision of care to patients with other infections for which respiratory protection is strongly indicated (e.g., tuberculosis, measles, varicella).

The anticipated timeline for return to routine levels of PPE is not yet known. Information about strategies to optimize the current supply of N95 respirators, including the use of devices that provide higher levels of respiratory protection (e.g., powered air purifying respirators [PAPRs]) when N95s are in limited supply and a companion checklist to help healthcare facilities prioritize the implementation of the strategies, is available.

Capacity across the healthcare continuum: Use of N95 or higher-level respirators are recommended for HCP who have been medically cleared, trained, and fit-tested, in the context of a facility’s respiratory protection programexternal icon. The majority of nursing homes and outpatient clinics, including hemodialysis facilities, do not have respiratory protection programs nor have they fit-tested HCP, hampering implementation of recommendations in the previous version of this guidance. This can lead to unnecessary transfer of patients with known or suspected COVID-19 to another facility (e.g., acute care hospital) for evaluation and care. In areas with community transmission, acute care facilities will be quickly overwhelmed by transfers of patients who have only mild illness and do not require hospitalization.

Many of the recommendations described in this guidance (e.g., triage procedures, source control) should already be part of an infection control program designed to prevent transmission of seasonal respiratory infections. As it will be challenging to distinguish COVID-19 from other respiratory infections, interventions will need to be applied broadly and not limited to patients with confirmed COVID-19.

This guidance is applicable to all U.S. healthcare settings. This guidance is not intended for non-healthcare settings (e.g., schools) OR for persons outside of healthcare settings. For recommendations regarding clinical management, air or ground medical transport, or laboratory settings, refer to the main CDC COVID-19 website.

Definition of Healthcare Personnel (HCP) –For the purposes of this document, HCP refers to all paid and unpaid persons serving in healthcare settings who have the potential for direct or indirect exposure to patients or infectious materials, including body substances; contaminated medical supplies, devices, and equipment; contaminated environmental surfaces; or contaminated air.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28828 on: March 12, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »

The NBA is shut down because 2 French players have COVID-19 -

and there should be no thought of shutting down travel from Europe?

Sheer Democratic naysaying of everything Trump.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:22:50 PM by kiidcarter8 »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #28829 on: March 12, 2020, 12:06:39 PM »

Also kiid, why do you think Great Britain was excluded from that travel ban? It has significantly greater occurrence than over half of the countries targeted by the ban. On the other hand, it does lead Europe in Trump golf course properties.
Pages: 1 ... 1920 1921 [1922] 1923 1924 ... 4288