Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2114 2115 [2116] 2117 2118 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2004747 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31725 on: April 15, 2020, 10:35:17 AM »

"I will be speaking to all 50 governors very shortly and I will then be authorizing each individual governor of each individual state to implement a reopening, and a very powerful reopening plan, of their state at a time and in a manner as most appropriate."

President Trump's comment yesterday, backing away from his claim that his "authority is total," while still claiming a power he does not have.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31726 on: April 15, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »

Feb 6

Nicholls said one problem could be that the new virus appeared to have greater transmissibility than SARS, due the possibility that cases can be transmitted by asymptomatic patients.

The WHO, however, has said that "the main driver of transmission ... is symptomatic cases." The organization said that it was "aware of possible transmission" from asymptomatic individuals in a few instances but believed this to be rare and not a major player in the spread of the virus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/asia/coronavirus-endgame-intl-hnk/index.html

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31727 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »

"I will be speaking to all 50 governors very shortly and I will then be authorizing each individual governor of each individual state to implement a reopening, and a very powerful reopening plan, of their state at a time and in a manner as most appropriate."

President Trump's comment yesterday, backing away from his claim that his "authority is total," while still claiming a power he does not have.

Trump has said "I think they WILL listen.  They want to get re-elected."

So yeah, he went back on his "I have the power" statement - but not really.

We'll see which governors wish to go against advice from the White House when it comes to reopening.  I think it will be carefully crafted, with input from each of the governors - and they will be more united than you imagine.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #31728 on: April 15, 2020, 11:27:41 AM »

An international group of statisticians from CTDS, Northwestern University and the University of Texas have released a paper  investigating the predictive performance of the model developed by Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). The IHME model is is used to predict ventilator use, hospital bed requirements and other resourcing for US states response to COVID-19.

The key findings are:

* Over 70 percent of US states had death rates that were inconsistent with IHME predictions
* Ability of IHME model to make accurate predictions decreases with increasing amount of data
* Improved predictive modelling needed for adequate provision of ventilators, PPE, medical staff at a local level

So much for the experts at IHME.

The result has been quite alarming.

Hospitals relying on IHME predictions have shut down elective surgeries thus denying treatments for a variety of procedures that improve the quality of life.

The shut down has not been necessary because the IMHE corona virus predictions have been wrong.
Writing in the New York Times
Dr. Har­lan Krumholz, a pro­fes­sor of med­i­cine at Yale and di­rec­tor of the Yale New Haven Hos­pi­tal Cen­ter for Out­comes Re­search and Eval­u­a­tion, describes a de­cline in the de­mand for med­ical ser­vices:

We canceled elective procedures, though many of those patients never needed hospitalization. We are now providing care at home through telemedicine, but those services are for stable outpatients, not for those who are acutely ill.
What is striking is that many of the emergencies have disappeared. Heart attack and stroke teams, always poised to rush in and save lives, are mostly idle. This is not just at my hospital. My fellow cardiologists have shared with me that their cardiology consultations have shrunk, except those related to Covid-19. In an informal Twitter poll by @angioplastyorg, an online community of cardiologists, almost half of the respondents reported that they are seeing a 40 percent to 60 percent reduction in admissions for heart attacks; about 20 percent reported more than a 60 percent reduction.

The results are not good for patients who suffer through both painful treatable conditions and potentially life threatening emergencies.

Economically the hospitals are forced to layoff personnel.

So here is the non-med­ical ad­vice from econ­omist Scott Gran­nis who told the Wall Street Journal
Pray for a speedy re-open­ing of the econ­omy. .....,
the shutdown will prove to be the most ex­pen­sive self-in­flicted in­jury in the his­tory of mankind.

Damn if that ain’t an argument for junking the for profit health system.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #31729 on: April 15, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »

Yes really.   He made an unconstitutional claim of absolute authority.   He had to walk it back.   It revealed,  again,  who he is.   A would-be king.   No one's buying your bullshit defense.   

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #31730 on: April 15, 2020, 11:43:52 AM »

Trump probably asked Red about what the Constitution says.  He gets it now.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

oilcan

« Reply #31731 on: April 15, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »

Good news.
Dogs are people.

More so than horses?

I don't see much difference between killing a dog to eat and killing a chicken or rabbit   or pig or deer.  Or between killing a wolf for its fur or killing a dog to eat.

It all should be stopped.

Fish? Squid? Ants? Bacteria? Corn? Where do you draw the line and why there?

I think the issue is suffering.  You could be a carnivore but only eat venison produced by a clean kill shot,  and that would produce far less suffering than what cows and pigs endure in industrial farming.   Your prey would live free and wild,  form pair bonds,  etc and then one day bang.   If we ate like that,  meat would be a special treat you have once a month maybe.  And free range meat has more good fat less bad.   

I just eat wild catch sardines and anchovies.   Minimal brain,  less suffering. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31732 on: April 15, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »

Yes really.   He made an unconstitutional claim of absolute authority.   He had to walk it back.  It revealed,  again,  who he is.   A would-be king.  No one's buying your bullshit defense.   

About on par with his immediate predecessor.

We know if we get Biden at least that mold is broken.  Joe doesn't have the chops for that.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31733 on: April 15, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »

We'll see which governors wish to go against advice from the White House when it comes to reopening.  I think it will be carefully crafted, with input from each of the governors - and they will be more united than you imagine.

I think that the Democratic Party governors will be more united than the GOP governors, some of whom have already splintered from the Trump administration, while others followed his original positions even at the cost of their citizen's lives.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31734 on: April 15, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »

I am reminded of what Anderson Cooper once said to Jeffery Lord: If Trump took a dump on his desk you would defend him.

Trump cannot reopen states. He had to walk that back when a 9th Grade Civics student pointed out his error. He then claimed he would "authorize" governors to open their states, another power he does not possess and an authorization governors do not need.

IF he had declared a nationwide shut down, he could lift that, leaving in place for the states, counties or municipalities to declare or lift their own. He can "authorize" them to lift theirs 8n the same way he can "authorize" me to take a shit. I am not sure if he does not have a clue about how our federal system works, or if this is just one more symptom of his raging, uncontrollable narcissism.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31735 on: April 15, 2020, 12:15:04 PM »

Yes really.   He made an unconstitutional claim of absolute authority.   He had to walk it back.  It revealed,  again,  who he is.   A would-be king.  No one's buying your bullshit defense.   

About on par with his immediate predecessor.

Such bullshit.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31736 on: April 15, 2020, 12:16:25 PM »

Trump cannot reopen states

Right - in a simplistic manner.

barton

« Reply #31737 on: April 15, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »

Based on this news,  I'm going with "raging,  uncontrollable narcissism."

Treasury Department has ordered President Trump’s name printed on stimulus checks the Internal Revenue Service is rushing to send to tens of millions of Americans, a process that could slow their delivery by a few days, senior IRS officials said.

The unprecedented decision, finalized late Monday, means that when recipients open the $1,200 paper checks the IRS is scheduled to begin sending to 70 million Americans in coming days, “President Donald J. Trump” will appear on the left side of the payment.

It will be the first time a president’s name appears on an IRS disbursement, whether a routine refund or one of the handful of checks the government has issued to taxpayers in recent decades either to stimulate a down economy or share the dividends of a strong one.   
  - WaPo

And yet another mixing of the duties of office with personal campaigning.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31738 on: April 15, 2020, 12:19:25 PM »

Good analysis by Krug Man.   It's always been about capital first,  people a distant second.

On ethics of vegetarians, I think most look at sentience. 

This just showed up in my feed:
https://aeon.co/essays/beyond-humans-what-other-kinds-of-minds-might-be-out-there?fbclid=IwAR3hRadYdDnI8BmmpuvjGp8G9E5Tuk4hb5V2gsaZmYBjPEARbsDJUG60HHw

Conscious exotica
From algorithms to aliens, could humans ever understand minds that are radically unlike our own?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31739 on: April 15, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »

Can't reopen the schools either.

I think more space should be given to what is happening with our secondary education and university systems.  Some tough calls ahead, surely.
Pages: 1 ... 2114 2115 [2116] 2117 2118 ... 4288