Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2237 2238 [2239] 2240 2241 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010667 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33571 on: May 07, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-hot-spots-50-communities-with-the-highest-rate-of-cases-in-mass-2/2119978/

Remember that these rates are per 100,000, not per million. Chelsea's rate is almost 4 times greater than the highest cases/million country in the world.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33572 on: May 07, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »

I think authoritarian government helps as does limited access. The access issue can be seen in the rapidly changing Brazil and Russia numbers, where things remain far better than in the US, but it's hard to tell if it will remain that way - their curves are starting to look pretty familiar.

I think having an organized competent authoritarian gov't can help.
But I think just having an organized competent gov't is the key. 
An educated and unified citizenry is also a definite plus.
South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, HK, Germany have fairly competent non-authoritarian gov'ts who have gotten through the virus fairly well.

I think Russia is poised to be a huge disaster.  I keep expecting things to get out of control there.  The gov't is mostly a kleptocracy and I think there medical system is creaky.  It's not much of a functioning country besides oil & mineral wealth and the army.  But I haven't followed what measures they have taken and when.  Aeroflot was still flying globally well into March.  Somewhere around March 25 they shut down int'l flights.  British Air and most Euro-airlines stopped flying to China in late January.   Circa Jan 26, Lufthansa canceled my mid-Feb flight from Shanghai to Munich, so i just rebooked on Aeroflot.  When I passed back through Moscow on March 2, they had some measures in place, but still there were crowds at the screening areas, various flights mixed together in line, no masks, no distancing, and flights to all over the world. 

I keep expecting crowded poor countries such as India, Pakistan and Bangladesh to get hit really hard.

It'd be interesting to hear which countries have done well and why.  Which have failed and why (there's more of that reporting out there).  I wasn't aware of Belgium's complete surrender to the virus until you linked an article.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33573 on: May 07, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »

If I sound jealous, it's because I was. Yet, I was also conflicted. How nice it would have been to wander over, pull up a chair and enjoy a beer. But I also knew the death rate in Sweden is now significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, with 2,500 dead

The folks out livin' in Sweden ain't the ones dyin'

90% are over age 70

Just 300 of the 3000 that have dies are 69 or younger

They have the same nursing home problem as the US - maybe not even as bad.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/europe/sweden-coronavirus-diary-shukla/index.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33574 on: May 07, 2020, 01:16:55 PM »

If I sound jealous, it's because I was. Yet, I was also conflicted. How nice it would have been to wander over, pull up a chair and enjoy a beer. But I also knew the death rate in Sweden is now significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, with 2,500 dead

90% are over age 70

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/europe/sweden-coronavirus-diary-shukla/index.html

The word is "dice."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33575 on: May 07, 2020, 01:17:30 PM »

Doctors and scientists are discovering two common characteristics among many of those who are losing their battle with COVID-19 — they are overweight or obese and suffer from a chronic disease. Ninety four percent of deaths from COVID-19 are in those with an underlying age-related chronic disease, mostly caused by excess body fat.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33576 on: May 07, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »

There's really way too many humans . . .
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33577 on: May 07, 2020, 01:25:57 PM »

Transcripts of House Intelligence Committee interviews that have been cleared for release show top law enforcement and intelligence officials affirming they had no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the 2016 election, senior administration and intelligence community officials told Fox News on Wednesday.

This would align with the results of former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation — which found no evidence of illegal or criminal coordination between President Trump, the Trump campaign and Russia in 2016 — but the numerous transcribed interviews could raise further questions about committee Chairman Adam Schiff’s past statements saying that there was “direct evidence” of collusion.

Have to laugh at REDSTATEWARD and his fellow tinfoil hat wearers pretending that the Roger Stone case never happened...

Finding evidence and proving a criminal case are two different things.  REDSTATEWARD's WSJ failed him, so he has turned to FOX for even better misrepresentations.

Mueller found plenty of evidence.  He also found that Trump and his allies lied and obstructed in order to prevent more evidence from coming to light.

Trump Admin is appealing to SCOTUS to block Mueller Grand Jury material because it will all show that he is totally exonerated.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33578 on: May 07, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »

90% are over age 70

No one above the age of 70 is really living life?

Coming from someone who 100% was screaming "death panels!" at the ACA 10 years ago.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33580 on: May 07, 2020, 01:35:29 PM »

Writing for a unanimous court, Justice Elena Kagan said that "for no reason" other than "political payback" the aides "used deception" to cut access lanes from Fort Lee, New Jersey, to the bridge.

The move "jeopardized the safety of the town's residents," Kagan wrote, but concluded that "not every corrupt act by state or local officials is a federal crime."

I find that a chilling conclusion.

They were guilty of what they were accused of, but using the public safety for your own personal vendetta is not a crime.

Unanimous is unanimous, so I accept their conclusion that under the laws of the United States, that is somehow okay.

But I am disgusted.
Well not every immoral act is illegal. It is why I can peacefully masturbate. It is the same distinction Red, like Trump, ignores when he talks about Mueller finding no criminal conspiracy is the same as finding no collusion.
A parrot bit me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33581 on: May 07, 2020, 01:37:15 PM »

Idiocy ends

Shelly Luther released from custody in TX
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33582 on: May 07, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »

90% are over age 70

Old people? Fuck 'em! They will die soon enough, 'miright?

Wonder how those old people got covid. With their kids and their care teams and all out without restrictions and all.

Dolt.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33583 on: May 07, 2020, 01:42:10 PM »

Writing for a unanimous court, Justice Elena Kagan said that "for no reason" other than "political payback" the aides "used deception" to cut access lanes from Fort Lee, New Jersey, to the bridge.

The move "jeopardized the safety of the town's residents," Kagan wrote, but concluded that "not every corrupt act by state or local officials is a federal crime."

I find that a chilling conclusion.

They were guilty of what they were accused of, but using the public safety for your own personal vendetta is not a crime.

Unanimous is unanimous, so I accept their conclusion that under the laws of the United States, that is somehow okay.

But I am disgusted.
Well not every immoral act is illegal. It is why I can peacefully masturbate. It is the same distinction Red, like Trump, ignores when he talks about Mueller finding no criminal conspiracy is the same as finding no collusion.

Not every act that the priests told you is immoral is immoral. Like masturbation.

But for Ward, posting here is a cross between jerk and jerk off.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33584 on: May 07, 2020, 01:47:42 PM »

90% are over age 70

Old people? Fuck 'em! They will die soon enough, 'miright?

Not nearly the matter at all

And I don't think the nursing home deaths are due to the open policy

Don't you think 300 is a SMALL number to have died from this across the Swedish nation, among the "younger" set

Get all the facts next time, fact guy.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 2237 2238 [2239] 2240 2241 ... 4288