Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2272 2273 [2274] 2275 2276 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2011985 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #34095 on: May 12, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »

https://medium.com/equality-includes-you/racism-is-so-american-that-when-you-protest-it-people-think-you-are-protesting-america-c397a7538ed4

Some mornings I login and think,  wow,  inundating my brain with news,  mayday mayday information overload,  go to DEFCON 4, assume fetal position...but this was worth reading and pretty much spot on.    IOW some things bear repetition,  especially if you're living most of life in the white privilege zone. 

barton

« Reply #34096 on: May 12, 2020, 10:27:06 AM »

And speaking of white privilege zone...

On Sunday, a bipartisan group of South Dakota legislators whose districts include tribal lands said in a letter to Noem, "Your statement that Tribal governments do not possess the ability to establish checkpoints within the boundaries of their homelands is not accurate."

They said that the Fort Laramie Treaties of 1851 and 1868 gave tribes such powers. The legislators also said a 1990 opinion by the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals said the state has no jurisdiction over highways running through Native American land without tribal consent.

"We do not wish to be party of another lawsuit that will ultimately cost the people of South Dakota more money," the legislators said.     

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/12/854333737/checkpoint-clash-escalates-between-south-dakota-governor-tribal-leaders?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogscoronavirusliveupdates

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34097 on: May 12, 2020, 10:38:01 AM »

I think you are catching on that some citizens - and even some leaders disagree with the level of "lockdown" governors are getting entire states to.

Easy answer?  Still no.

A "right" and a "wrong"?  Nope.

The reason we have economies,  in a democracy, is to lift everyone.   

So,  we don't sacrifice some people to lift others.   The founding principles of America include that the individual life has value and dignity.
I wonder if Barton actually read what he wrote before hitting post.
Ending economies helps no one.
And continued lockdowns will sacrifice many more people than ending the lockdowns will.

In logic this is called the fallacy of the excluded middle.   
You see only two narrowly defined choices of awful,  when we have others. 

Wow! Are we supposed to feel better that there are more awful things than 30 million people out of work draining our resources to save them but not giving them a chance to make a living?
Hundreds of thousands of deaths while the fear and effects of a raging pandemic keep most of those people out of work anyway, and for far longer?

Red wants those at the bottom rung of the ladder to get back out there to tote that barge and lift that bale.

His roots need to be touched up and he wants his favorite burger!*

*actual complaints made by re-open protestors.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34098 on: May 12, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »

Trump keeps saying tests are totally available.

He continues to lie about it.

Today, Gov. Dewine contradicted him.

Why do you people support a perpetual liar like Trump?

You know why

They’re fucking wannabe Nazis hoping for a Fourth Reich.

Bunch of racist, sexist, xenophobic needledicks.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34099 on: May 12, 2020, 10:56:50 AM »

Former acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe admitted in 2017 testimony released Thursday that the FBI was unable to “prove the accuracy” of the so-called Steele dossier, which was famously used to obtain surveillance warrants for former Trump campaign aide Carter Page.

From House Intelligence Committee ( Adam Schiff, Chairman)
Drip, drip, drip

You do know if Obama directed the FBI to do whatever it isn’t a problem because he was President and according to Trump the power is absolute.

Or are there different rules for black presidents and white ones?

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34100 on: May 12, 2020, 10:59:00 AM »

It doesn't explain why you pretend to believe his lies.

It's not my job to post here what I agree and disagree with re:  the President's quotes.   Thus my not posting disagreement is not putting a stamp of approval on it.

My approval is of Trump's policies/handling of the nation's issues and his ability to bring good people together and manage other personalities.  His crassness/general persona is something I am willing to deal with.

Well, his Administration has certainly been a grand success, you racist asshole.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34101 on: May 12, 2020, 11:00:20 AM »

Because you don't give a damn about anybody but yourself and you lie to yourself about the poor and the vulnerable.

Certainly don't give a shit about you.  You haven't earned it.

And that's one of the major differences between us.

When I thought somebody here whom I disliked was suicidal, I looked for a way to help that one.

I don't need people to earn being cared about, Kid. If bad shit were happening to you, I would care and want to help. Or Bambi or Ward or whomever.

And it's why I rage against the mistreatment of people I have never met - and why you think my rage is dumb. You don't give a fuck for anybody who hasn't "earned it," in your oh so precious measurement of human worth.

Money is more important. Convenience is more important.

We get it.

And I would still try to help you. Because you are a human being.

Imagine what he thinks about me.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34102 on: May 12, 2020, 11:14:07 AM »

And your definition of "good people" is even more broken than your standards for deciding who is "worthy" of your giving a fuck.

If you are saying that those working in the West Wing ar not good people - I think an episode of WW would help you understand the emptiness of that opinion

The one where the Republican is hired - and defends her new Dem coworkers to her friends that are ridiculing them

Bruce:  Oh, damn. I wanted you to say it to his face. I wanted to see...

Harriet : I hate these people.

Bruce : Did you meet anyone there who isn't worthless?

Ainsley Hayes : Don't say that.

Bruce : Did you meet anyone there who has any - ?

Ainsley Hayes : I said don't say that. Say they're smug and superior. Say their approach to public policy makes you want to tear your hair out. Say they like high taxes and spending your money. Say they want to take your guns and open your borders, but don't call them worthless. At least don't do it in front of me. The people that I have met have been extraordinarily qualified, their intent is good. Their commitment is true, they are righteous, and they are patriots. And I'm their lawyer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0745637/characters/nm0698346

Open your mind

This ain’t TV and the folks worked no for this Administration are a bunch of GOP hacks desperately holding on to the gunwales of the sinking ship.

This is the most venal crew of hucksters I've ever seen at 18Alpha.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34103 on: May 12, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »

Very sneaky, Obama

Trump now calls him out for treason.  I get what Barack is doing.  As Hillary floundered, he uttered, "this old fuck would never have beaten me".. So now he will make it SEEM like Trump is running against Obama, not Biden.

As the Twitter war grows, trump can only be thankful Barack cant actually be on the trail.

(unless of course Trump is right about the actions of the former president while in office)

What has the "sneaky" Obama done other than make private statements that were leaked?

Twitter war?  Obama hasn't said anything about Trump on twitter.  Closest you can get is a totally expected endorsement of Biden.

The people who keep talking about the leaked Obama statements are Republicans who still can't get over the thumping he repeatedly gave them.  Mitch MConnell says Obama "should keep his mouth shut."  Move past the totally inappropriate lack of respect the phrasing gives to a former President.  He is shaking in his boots that Obama will be active in this election.

And while he has and continues to sit back, he will be.  Moscow Mitch has every reason to be afraid.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34104 on: May 12, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »

Needs seems to think sending the economy into a long and senseless depression through lockdowns will have some positive effect on covid-19.

Whatever you (nonsensically) think my opinion is, what I stated were facts and common sense.  Polls show Americans overwhelmingly support lockdowns.....
43 states are reopening.

Yes.  In some states you can now get a haircut and buy some flowers.

And polls show Americans overwhelmingly support lockdowns.
43 states are reopening.

Polls don’t mean anything? Not even the polls you use to cite when justifying voter suppression?

Have a seat, you sad faced clown.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34105 on: May 12, 2020, 11:43:16 AM »

And speaking of white privilege zone...

On Sunday, a bipartisan group of South Dakota legislators whose districts include tribal lands said in a letter to Noem, "Your statement that Tribal governments do not possess the ability to establish checkpoints within the boundaries of their homelands is not accurate."

They said that the Fort Laramie Treaties of 1851 and 1868 gave tribes such powers. The legislators also said a 1990 opinion by the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals said the state has no jurisdiction over highways running through Native American land without tribal consent.

"We do not wish to be party of another lawsuit that will ultimately cost the people of South Dakota more money," the legislators said.     

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/12/854333737/checkpoint-clash-escalates-between-south-dakota-governor-tribal-leaders?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogscoronavirusliveupdates

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #34106 on: May 12, 2020, 12:47:58 PM »

Alexandra Petri has a live q and a chat on Tuesday mornings,  called Petri Dishes.   From a little while ago....

Q: Parable for our time
Alexandra-- Thanks for all your work. In your uncharacteristically serious April 24 column, "America, please don’t put bleach inside yourself like the president says," you used a metaphor about doctors being “placed into a cornfield.” I’m dying to know if this is a reference to the famous story It’s a Good Life by Jerome Bixby, also the source of a drastically shortened but still effective Twilight Zone episode with the same title. I keep saying It’s a Good Life is the key parable for our time. Can you back me up on this?

A: Alexandra Petri
I was thinking of the Twilight Zone episode, which is one of my favorites! I think it is absolutely a terrific parable for these times, which is depressing because it is about being governed by an easily angered child with limitless powers.

— MAY 12, 2020 11:17 EDT   

bodiddley

• View Profile
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34108 on: May 12, 2020, 01:11:04 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/05/11/collins-jiang-reporter-questions-briefing-blitzer-sot-tsr-vpx.cnn

"Maybe that's a question you should ask China,," said the racist, sexist bigoted president to the Asian-American reporter.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:25:52 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34109 on: May 12, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »

Sen. Dr. Rand Paul exhibiting zero humbleness, while telling Dr. Fauci to be humble because he is not the "end all" on the coronavirus:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/05/12/fauci-rand-paul-coronavirus-senate-committee-testimony-vpx.cnn
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 2272 2273 [2274] 2275 2276 ... 4288