Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2464 2465 [2466] 2467 2468 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998065 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #36975 on: June 06, 2020, 04:10:45 PM »

The march in DC is huge and there is no curfew for the last three nights and no confrontations.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36976 on: June 06, 2020, 04:12:15 PM »

But "fair and balanced" is the catchphrase for the very much unfair and unbalanced news folks at Fox.

Maybe you just don't like what they're selling.

Yes, what I don't like is that they sell bullshit, while claiming it's news.

https://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/fox-news-coronavirus/

And so many more.

They push conspiracies. They promote falsehoods.

And the Left/Far Left don't?

Did you read the first link?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36977 on: June 06, 2020, 04:14:40 PM »

They could've stopped their boss only by shooting him or bashing him with their guns.

No.

That's bullshit.

You already asked what we would have done and I answered it.

In NINE minutes, they had ample time to radio HQ and ask for guidance, sending a pic of what was happening.

But they also could have simply tackled the man. No bashing required.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36978 on: June 06, 2020, 04:15:38 PM »

I've learned a lot more about the George Floyd arrest/murder.
There's a good walk you through the videos and timeline NYTimes video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vksEJR9EPQ8

I'm not sure how rookie the two young cops were, but they were partners with their own police SUV and were the first to respond.  They get Floyd out of his vehicle and into handcuffs with minimal difficulty.   

Floyd does look in some distress just being handcuffed and falls to the ground when they try to get him into the police vehicle.  No doubt the police defense lawyers will try to portray Floyd as in bad health and blame that for his death.  While Chauvin wasn't there to see Floyd distressed with the handcuffs and collapsing to the ground.  And no doubt they'll bring up alcohol, drugs, Covid positive any other health issues they can find or claim.

The fact that the two junior officers were on duty together with their own vehicle and responding to calls, certainly weakens their case of being complete powerless rooks.   

Chauvin shows up after 9 minutes with Thao.  They are the 3rd police SUV to arrive.  I'm unclear where the 2nd pair is (maybe in the store getting info).  Apparently the first responding rook cops thought they were called to deal with a drunk and disorderly, and were unaware of the counterfeit allegation.

One strange incident. They get Floyd into the vehicle and then Chauvin opens the other door towards the street and drags Floyd out and onto the pavement where he'll soon die.  He was in the vehicle and pulled back out to be dominated and abused and ultimately killed.

The two young policemen were entrusted with full duties.  They kneeled on Floyd's back and legs.  They allowed Chauvin to abuse Floyd for an awfully long time while they assisted.  No wonder the charges against them were relatively strong.

Bo, I find it curious that there were two other people in the car with Mr Floyd, yet I have not heard
anything about their testimony or their explanation about the entire tragedy.

Makes me wonder if the prosecution has something up their sleeves for the trial?

The trials will be 'war'.

NOW, Minnesota/Minneapolis have banned 'choke holds' and 'neck holds' as a form of police restraint.
NOW.
Now that 4 cops who followed their policy have ended up in prison.
Any defence lawyers worth their salt would be running with that, bigtime.

Their policy did not include kneeling on necks for nearly 9 minutes (or at all, if I recall correctly).

Their policy did not include looking the other way when somebody was in respiratory distress.

Do, please, remember, that the police, when they described what had happened, neglected to mention that part of things, while claiming he was sick from the moment they took him from the car - and well before any of them had been charged with anything.

Those claims, too, were not "policy."

You keep trying to find a way for Chauvin to squirm out of murder.

I have to wonder why.

Not him.

"Now that 4 cops who followed their policy have ended up in prison."

That would include him.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #36980 on: June 06, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »

But "fair and balanced" is the catchphrase for the very much unfair and unbalanced news folks at Fox.

https://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

And so many more.

I read the words in the link line, that was enough to get the message.
Someone has to expose what the Left/Far Left are doing.
Fox News makes you informed of what they're selling.
Everyone is selling something.
The Left/Far left in my land are telling kids, including young kids, that if they don't like being a boy today they can be a girl tomorrow. "Gender fluid".
Yes, in the "peoples republic of …….." state I could wake up tomorrow and become a woman, no operations, nothing, just identify as a woman, pay $100 tor the paperwork and I would have all the rights and liberties of a woman.
They're running around now trying to work out what they're gonna do about public bathrooms.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:28:37 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #36981 on: June 06, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »

And so many more.

I read the words in the link line. Enough to get the point.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36982 on: June 06, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/06/virginia-city-removes-176-year-old-slave-auction-block/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/birmingham-mayor-confederate-monument-state-alabama-lawsuit

Richmond is taking down the statue of Robert E Lee

The game has changed

The worm has turned

There something happening here...

Everything you think you know about politics in 2020 no longer apply.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #36983 on: June 06, 2020, 04:46:32 PM »

Cuomo an interesting in-between case, as he really poured himself into trying to be helpful, after his initial large fail.  He also hasn't been willing to take blame or work well with DeBalsio (a failure-type).  And he's downplayed NYC police violence.  Really I think he should resign after the crises pass.

I couldn't disagree more with your conclusion.

Cuomo had a largely unknown uncontrolled killer virus dropped into NYC with no help from the Federal Gov't. A federal government that actively called it a hoax, and had created a sytem that encouraged the US 50 states to compete against each other for the resources to fight the virus. Yet despite the virus and seeing his largest city threatened with decimation and mounting illness and death, he was a strong voice of calm, reason and honesty the people in NYC and most of America heard. Covid -19 was ripping a hole in the biggest city in this country and Cuomo showed leadership in the face of this new plague.

No one is perfect nor blameless but IMO Cuomo's noon-time chats to NYC/America was as akin to FDR's talks to a petrfied country during the depths of the depression. Cuomo was compassionate, empathetic and honest with Americans. IMO history will treat him very well for providing leadership in what was a black hole that threatened to swallow us.

I can't tell what the future brings for Cuomo but i would not be surprised to see him to seek higher office or potentially join a Biden admin in a very senior position. Or both.

Mario would be very proud ofhis son Andrew.

Cuomo decisions killed grandmas, with Fauci's help.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #36984 on: June 06, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »

Cuomo shut-down New Rochelle in early March when the first evidence of the disease became apparent in NY

and he took a lot of shit for it

heh

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #36985 on: June 06, 2020, 04:53:29 PM »

yeah.... should be a cakewalk from here.

All eyes shift to congressional races

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36986 on: June 06, 2020, 04:56:17 PM »

I read the words in the link line. Enough to get the point.

Which followed:

I read the words in the link line, that was enough to get the message.
Someone has to expose what the Left/Far Left are doing.
Fox News makes you informed of what they're selling.
Everyone is selling something.
The Left/Far left in my land are telling kids, including young kids, that if they don't like being a boy today they can be a girl tomorrow. "Gender fluid".
Yes, in the "peoples republic of …….." state I could wake up tomorrow and become a woman, no operations, nothing, just identify as a woman, pay $100 tor the paperwork and I would have all the rights and liberties of a woman.
They're running around now trying to work out what they're gonna do about public bathrooms.

How does any of that blather respond to the simple fact that Fox News leaves people less informed than if they had watched nothing?

You keep talking about "The Left," while ignoring that one side, YES, ONE SIDE, is actively misinforming its viewers.

"Someone has to expose what the Left/Far Left are doing."

Maybe, though your view of that remains full of bigotry.

But while "someone has to expose" it, Fox is not exposing a damned thing. They are inventing lies.

Why is that all right with you?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36987 on: June 06, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »

yeah.... should be a cakewalk from here.

All eyes shift to congressional races

Look further down ballot...

Lyndon Johnson

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #36988 on: June 06, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »

I think it's readily apparent to anyone thinking objectively and unbiased that both news sides are propaganda.

It's up to the individual to sift through it and come up with a reasonable approximation of the truth. If anyone expects either side to be unbiased then they spitting into the wind and get what they deserve. A self inflicted loogie in the puss.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36989 on: June 06, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »

She was chosen because she was a woman. Horrible choice by that committee of men, btw. Maybe thought they were choosing her to strip at the NRA convention while they all clung to their guns and waved upside down Bibles.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 2464 2465 [2466] 2467 2468 ... 4288